The Gun Registry Must be Deregistered!!

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Gun registry: Still wasting tax dollars
Windsor Star June 14, 2005

If Canada's criminals registered their firearms, and deadly weapons smuggled from the United States were similarly registered, the billion dollars spent on Canada's firearms registry might seem like a wise investment.

But criminals don't register their firearms and the registry, despite what its proponents claim, has not made for safer communities. The program, which was only supposed to cost taxpayers $2 million when it was introduced in 1995, hasn't taken guns away from criminals or removed them from city streets.

Last week, Windsor police seized a .357 handgun during a drug raid on a home in the 500 block of Janette Avenue. That weapon had been reported stolen from the United States and wasn't registered in Canada. Nor were the 10 semi-automatic weapons police took off the streets in late April. Those non-registered firearms included one with a laser-sight and a Tec-9 machine pistol with a 30-round clip. Good police work, not the useless registry, netted those guns.

The .22 calibre Beretta that Jack Pharr used to gun down 22-year-old Brian Bolyantu in downtown Windsor wasn't to be found in Canada's gun registry and neither was the .357 Magnum that Kenyatta Watts used to kill Mohammed Charafeddine. People like Pharr and Watts don't register their weapons.

The only people who register their firearms are law-abiding citizens who are being unfairly targeted by an ill-conceived program designed to score votes in urban Canada at the expense of rural residents.

How does forcing an Essex County hunter to register his rifle make downtown Windsor safe from gunplay? It doesn't and it never will no matter how much money the government pours down the black hole of the gun registry.

Given that Canadians must register vehicles and even obtain licences to go fishing, city dwellers often fail to sympathize with the plight of Canada's long gun owners. Whether or not our streets are safer, many reason, registering a weapon seems logical enough given its deadly potential. The government regulates everything else, so why not guns?

That argument would carry considerable weight if not for the fact Canadians were required to obtain Firearms Acquisitions Certificates and endure background checks before obtaining firearms even before the firearms registry. This country had a system in place and the Liberals replaced it with an additional layer of unnecessary and wasteful bureaucracy.

For an ineffective and superfluous registry that was only supposed to cost $2 million, Canadians have spent an average of $100 million per year since 1995. Now, the Liberal government wants Canadians to spend even more.

The government is seeking an additional $64 million for the registry today and Conservative MP Garry Breitkreuz has introduced a sensible motion to nix $49,564,000 for Canada's Firearms Centre and a second motion that would cancel $14,550,000.

The Liberals, with the support of the Bloc Quebecois and NDP, could defeat Breitkreuz's motions and divert those precious tax dollars to a wasteful and ineffective gun registry that takes money from taxpayers' pockets while leaving guns in the hands of criminals. This would be unfortunate and unconscionable.

The gun registry hasn't made our streets safer and the program has been woefully mismanaged from its inception. It has been so poorly run that a U.S. firm used it as a case study in financial mismanagement and incompetence. Wasting more money on a registry that is failing to keep you and your family safe just doesn't make sense.

It's time to scrap the gun registry. It's time to put it out of its misery

© The Windsor Star 2005]

The really sad part: The budget item went through as proposed. What a waste of money and time. I wonder how many Liberal cronies work for this piece of crap!

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
Finally!!! I agree with you wholeheartedly on a topic. Never thought that was possible. The gun registry is more than a farce. It is criminalizing many good Canadians who wish to resist Canada turning into a Police state. More Canadians are killed by knives than by guns. So I propose a knife registry. Let us take even more Police hours away from real Police work to get behind this idea. Yes, that was sarcasm (about the knife registry). I've been in the business a long time and the gun registry is crap. Canada has been left less safe with the huge number of hours given to this process by law enforcement agencies.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Same here! I am all in favor of scrapping the gun registry.

It is a useless waste of tax dollars on a system that does not work. As noted earlier, criminals will not register their firearms. So in turn, the law abiding citizen is penalized with the ineffectiveness of this registry.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Nascar_James said:
Same here! I am all in favor of scrapping the gun registry.

It is a useless waste of tax dollars on a system that does not work. As noted earlier, criminals will not register their firearms. So in turn, the law abiding citizen is penalized with the ineffectiveness of this registry.

So how do we get through to the dolts who run and support this piece of stink? There has not been any proof that this works, despite certain opinions being stated as fact. The real fact is that if this money had been spent on police, we could have over 25,000 more policemen on the street. THAT would have done more to prevent crime than anything else. Like the article says, these guns were found when going after something else. Just imagine what an additional 25,000 policemen could have found "going after something else".

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Blue ... it's not always that you and I agree whole heartedly on something, but this topic is one of those issues that get my blood pressure up to the danger levels.

I've stated my views on this before, but will do so again.

Gun registry is more than a political money grab. It's far more sinister than that. Because the surface looks all valiant and supportive of "the greater good", people miss the darker underbelly.

The way a government overpowers a society is twofold: taxation beyond the ability of the people to pay, forcing them into poverty; then disarming them. History bears that theme over and over.

One thing that makes me particularly nervous is that Hitler and his minions used gun restriction laws as a method of confiscating property. Odd how our laws parallel those. The cops can go into anyone's house if they suspect firearms. Yup folks, shades of SS right here in our little country.

Beyond that, the whole idea of gun registry is absurd. Anyone can get an unregistered gun, and those with nefarious intention aren't likely to register their weapon. What you end up with is the law biding, well intentioned folk registering their guns while the bad people just keep on doing what they always have.

I grew up with guns. Learned to shoot when I was so little my dad had to stand behind me to keep the .22 from knocking me on my butt. I grew up in a household where there were always loaded weapons ... we lived in the country and there were constant threat to our stock from predators. There were 5 children in the house, and each one of us learned gun safety right along with table manners. It was just part of life. If anything, my father was insanely dedicated to gun safety. I would have stripped bare and done the hokey pokey through the kitchen before I mishandled a gun around my father!

I have had the opportunity to shoot everything from a pellet gun to a black powder pistol to a sten gun. (Had a friend who was a collector.) My favourite was a 45 magnum, but it ain't like you see on tv! Those things kick like a mule. Anyway, my point is that I have been educated in firearms.

Here I am, a mature adult with no criminal record and I am denied the right to possess a .22 with a hand-carved butt handed down from my grandfather ... all because I refuse to do the registry. It is a family heirloom.

Whew. Maybe I better mosey on over to the joke thread for a while a chill out before I blow a fuse here. The whole gun registry thing really upsets me. :evil:

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Cosmo said:
Blue ... it's not always that you and I agree whole heartedly on something, but this topic is one of those issues that get my blood pressure up to the danger levels.

I've stated my views on this before, but will do so again.

Gun registry is more than a political money grab. It's far more sinister than that. Because the surface looks all valiant and supportive of "the greater good", people miss the darker underbelly.

The way a government overpowers a society is twofold: taxation beyond the ability of the people to pay, forcing them into poverty; then disarming them. History bears that theme over and over.

One thing that makes me particularly nervous is that Hitler and his minions used gun restriction laws as a method of confiscating property. Odd how our laws parallel those. The cops can go into anyone's house if they suspect firearms. Yup folks, shades of SS right here in our little country.

Beyond that, the whole idea of gun registry is absurd. Anyone can get an unregistered gun, and those with nefarious intention aren't likely to register their weapon. What you end up with is the law biding, well intentioned folk registering their guns while the bad people just keep on doing what they always have.

I grew up with guns. Learned to shoot when I was so little my dad had to stand behind me to keep the .22 from knocking me on my butt. I grew up in a household where there were always loaded weapons ... we lived in the country and there were constant threat to our stock from predators. There were 5 children in the house, and each one of us learned gun safety right along with table manners. It was just part of life. If anything, my father was insanely dedicated to gun safety. I would have stripped bare and done the hokey pokey through the kitchen before I mishandled a gun around my father!

I have had the opportunity to shoot everything from a pellet gun to a black powder pistol to a sten gun. (Had a friend who was a collector.) My favourite was a 45 magnum, but it ain't like you see on tv! Those things kick like a mule. Anyway, my point is that I have been educated in firearms.

Here I am, a mature adult with no criminal record and I am denied the right to possess a .22 with a hand-carved butt handed down from my grandfather ... all because I refuse to do the registry. It is a family heirloom.

Whew. Maybe I better mosey on over to the joke thread for a while a chill out before I blow a fuse here. The whole gun registry thing really upsets me. :evil:

Cosmo....I think we had better check the temperature in hell, twice in one weekend! 8O

You grew up exactly as I did, a rural setting with loaded guns. Why? Dad always said that an empty gun was no good when you needed it. Our guns were on a rack that was too high for young kids to get at until we reached a certain age, and then we were allowed to use guns. Prior to that, we were taught over and over and over again about guns, gun safety, and what happens when a bullet hits something. I still remember, all these years later, the first time I saw a gopher after being hit by a mushroom .22. That kind of devastation, to put it bluntly, stays with you.

To me, the gun registry is simply a confiscation tool. No more and no less. An unarmed public can easily be taken over, and if someone wants to call me paranoid, go for it, could care less. Canada has had handgun registration for over 60 years, and the previous rules were strict enough.

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws (and the government) will have guns. (To paraphrase a bit :wink: )

passpatoo

Electoral Member
Aug 29, 2004
Algoma
I got rid of my guns because of this program.

When I lived up north, shooting a moose and a few birds helped my wife and I get through the year with all that meat in the freezer (grocery bills were substantially less). The extra costs and hassle of the new program changed that for me and I gave my guns to my dad who uses them for target shooting now.

The whole program lacks logic.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
The registry does fly in the face of logic not only democratically but....coming from a Liberal government who claims to support social programs then wastes a few billion on keeping list of people who have guns...

This issue is a number 1 reason I can't support the left, I mean talk about hidden agendas.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: The Gun Registry Must

Cosmo said:
Sorry, Jay, I don't get what that has to do with the topic??

Do you think those guns were registered?

I doubt it, and this is reason #1...so cops know if there are guns at the scene before they arrive.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Re: RE: The Gun Registry Must be Deregistered!!

Jay said:
The registry does fly in the face of logic not only democratically but....coming from a Liberal government who claims to support social programs then wastes a few billion on keeping list of people who have guns...

This issue is a number 1 reason I can't support the left, I mean talk about hidden agendas.

Ya, I agree with you. Seems incongruent.

Although I support the left in general, this one issue makes me nervous. But then I am a bit of a paranoiac ... I think every government party has a hidden agenda. The trick is trying to vote one in that is least offensive.

I believe that more education is needed. If people knew what was really behind gun laws, they would be less inclined to jump on that bandwagon. It's a case of mistaken good intentions (we all know what road is paved with those) without the benefit of fully understanding the implications.

Same old thing I've been spouting for decades: Educate, don't legislate.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I know you have grievances with the right, and perhaps rightfully so...but I think the gun registry is proof in the puddn' that the left has plans for us so to speak...

Disarming America is high on their agenda IMO.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think the idea of the gun registry is great; I mean, we have to register cars, why not guns.

The execution of it is terrible; after all every single province has a car registry system. There's no reason this same concept couldn't be expanded to include guns. Except for the fact that then it couldn't be used to pour money into good Liberal businesses.

"Disarming America is high on their agenda IMO"

So what does that have to do with Canada?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think it is an international cause in leftist ideology...

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Re: RE: The Gun Registry Must

Jay said:
Do you think those guns were registered?

I doubt it, and this is reason #1...so cops know if there are guns at the scene before they arrive.

Are you serious? Gun registry provides no good predictor for law enforcement when they approach a scene. Geez, louise, you think the bad guys are going to register guns?

If anything, your argument supports no registry at all. If police think they know where the guns are (which, of course, they never would be so foolish), they would be taken unawares by the unregistered guns. And there will always be unregistered guns. That's just a fact of life.

As for whether those guns were registered or not, there was no indication one way or the other in the article. Perhaps they were registered, Jay. Registered guns aren't rendered harmless by a piece of paper. It doesn't take any of the danger out of them nor does it provide any reliable information for law inforcement. I disagree with your reasoning.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I wasn't reasoning that the gun registry does anything other than keep list of people with guns. I was simply stating this is the reasoning government uses to support their registry.

I simply don't believe in any of it.

Free countries don't keep lists of people with guns.