That we are not a 51st State can be credited to 3 people...

LeftistPatriot

Jun 19, 2005
1. Agnes MacPhail
2. Tommy Douglas
3. Jean Lesage (What a fitting last name. Easily the most wisely-run government -- federal or provincal -- in Canadian history.)

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Re: ...and a few who would ?

That we are not the 51st State is not due to the desires of a few Canadians. They won't come right out and give us a quote, but the way tsome of them aquiese to american demands, and refuse to critisize them even when they are hooping Canadians in trade matters, makes me think these RightWingnuts religious fundies and corporate haunchos would have us signed up as Americans in a minute if they could.

Corporate leaders esp. get frustrated with Canadian economics and regulations, and have often been quoted saying "we have to be more like America if we are to survive" .

These names come to mind:

Stephan Harper.

Ralph Klein

Conrad Black

Kim Campbell

...well, I mostly wanted to say Stephan Harper because he is such a threat to Canadian values, and is a great target these days.

jimmy123

Apr 30, 2005
RE: That we are not a 51st State can be credited to 3 people

I think the grand-daddies of Canada remaining independent of the USA has to be Sir Isaac Brock and Tecumseh.

When the United States attacked Canada in the War of 1812, the British were very busy battling France in Europe and initially could not spare many troops to repell the American advance.

Sir Isaac Brock, through a combination of skilled diplomacy in getting Native Canadians, including Chief Tecumseh, to join his cause against the Americans, and brilliant military tactics that held off what would likely have been a rout of Upper Canada by the superior troop numbers and armaments of the Americans, saved Canada long enough before his heroic (though foolishly careless) death in battle to enable Britain to reinforce the Canadian struggle and ultimately defeat the American goal of annexing Canada to the USA.

Without Brock, there would have not been a Prime Minister John A MacDonald.

For those who want to get a sense of what true patriotism and heroism are all about, I highly recommend taking a look in depth at the life and times of Sir Isaac Brock. The War of 1812 documentary produced by Terrence McKenna and his brother for CBC a number of years back is an excellent look at the War of 1812, one of Canada's and Britain's finest performances.

The Philosopher

Nominee Member

I'll explain it simply, Canada is not a state (or states) because it was in Britain's interest as an imperialistic empire. In order to maintain its strength it had to keep one large territory in each part of the world. With all of these ports it made trade in the empire very smooth (India and China in Asia, Australia in the South Pacific, Southern Africa in Africa, and a group of islands in South America).

That is the ONLY reason why Canada is a country.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: That we are not a 51s

Naw...they could have gotten by with just Newfoundland here.

Canada is a country because of the Canadians, starting with our first nations people, who have been building it since before recorded history.

LeftCoast

Electoral Member
Jun 16, 2005
Vancouver

Sir John A. MacDonald
Sir Georges-Etienne Cartier
Thomas D'Arcy McGee

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: That we are not a 51st State can be credited to 3 people

The King
General Brock :)
General William Hull

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: That we are not a 51st State can be credited to 3 people

Jay said:
The King
General Brock :)
General William Hull

;)

Although I would say Sir John A MacDonald.

He also used the War of 1812 as an example to maintain ties to the crown.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

"Although I would say Sir John A MacDonald."

Instead of Brock?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

So you would pick the other two also...?