God Squad

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well this out to stir the pot! But I think rafe mair is right on the money...just my opinion of course.

Beware the Tory God Squad

Rev. Jerry Falwell in 1985 The problem with pre-programmed

TheTyee.ca
Last week I offered, as one of the reasons the Tories will lose the next election, the fact that they are being hijacked by the religious right, just as has happened to the Republican party.

The Philosopher

Nominee Member
You know what, the Liberals have been hyjacked by the Religious Right as well.

11 MPs receive campaign funds from various protestant churches:
1. Paul Szabo
2. Pat O'Brien
3. Tom Wappel
4. Andy Savoy
5. Jim Karygiannis
6. Dan McTeague
7. Albina Guarnieri
8. Judi Longfield, minister of veteran affairs
9. Joe Volpe, immigration and citizenship minister
10. Joe Comuzzi
11. Judy Sgro

And if you want to add a 12 to the list John Efford had to "ask permission" from the church on whether or not he could vote for gay marriage or not.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
If you want to talk about inflexible opionions, then look no further than the left. One comment is about how the Republicans have gone down due to religion? They are the presiding party in the US, so gee, I guess they have gone down. The Repubs have won, what, five out of the last 7 US elections? If only we could get Canada to smarten up............. :wink:

Andygal

Electoral Member
May 13, 2005
BC
My problem with the extremist religious right is that they are hypocrities, they say they believe in the teachings of the Bible, but they believe in the parts that promote intolerence and mistreatment of those with different viewpoints, they do not pay any attention to the parts of the Bible that promote understanding and acceptance. If you say that the Bible should be taken literally, then you can't just take the parts you like literally. Of course the Bible contradicts itself so many times that you have to pick and choose, and unfortunately the religious right seems to choose the parts that promote intolerence.

If you are going to call yourself "Christian" then you should follow what Christ is said to have taught, as in "Love thy neighbour", not "everybody who disagress with me is a Satanist and will burn in hell".

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: God Squad

Andygal said:
My problem with the extremist religious right is that they are hypocrities, they say they believe in the teachings of the Bible, but they believe in the parts that promote intolerence and mistreatment of those with different viewpoints, they do not pay any attention to the parts of the Bible that promote understanding and acceptance. If you say that the Bible should be taken literally, then you can't just take the parts you like literally. Of course the Bible contradicts itself so many times that you have to pick and choose, and unfortunately the religious right seems to choose the parts that promote intolerence.

If you are going to call yourself "Christian" then you should follow what Christ is said to have taught, as in "Love thy neighbour", not "everybody who disagress with me is a Satanist and will burn in hell".

Just as everybody who disagrees with you is not out to destroy social programs in Canada, put gays in jail, cancel immigration to any non-whites, or puts profits ahead of people.

Intolerance works both ways, especially for those on the extreme edges of both viewpoints.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Andygal, you are one smart little cookie. Your parents must be very proud of you, never give up your open mind and continue to be a free thinker. Your awesome 8)

The Philosopher

Nominee Member

Andygal said:

With that said, you have probably never done theology in your life.

Jesus says "love thy neighbor" and not "tollerate thy neighbor." You can love your neighbor and completely dislike what they are doing.

You mention how some Christians pick what to believe from the bible. That is a wise choice. When John wrote Revelations for prison he had visions on par with Leviticus. His were clearer than Leviticus' though and so the book of Leviticus is only put in the bible for comparitive analysis... not to be followed.

NO WHERE in the bible though does it say to accept someone for who they are. I do not know where you got that. Jesus ran around Judea converting people from one belief to his.

Also remember that Jesus told Peter that he was the sheppard, leading the sheep away from the wolves and in the right away (ironically Socrates said that the sheppard will only protect the sheep because they will benefit him).

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Andygal said:

absolutely!! If one is going to call himself a certain "faith" etc......then LIVE the part. Or belong to nothing and see the whole situation objectively. Don't care what a persons "belief" is.......as long as it does not interfere in their business,in politics and other aspects of life that require reason and rational thought.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Jesus ran around Judea converting people from one belief to his

and that was his first mistake. :wink: and probably lead to the Crucifixion. People don't take kindly to being "converted"..

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Exactly ocean breeze, andygal will do just fine, she is a free thinker. Sheez...can you believe she is just outta highschool 8O Don't let anyone tell you different andygirl, looks like they couldn't anyway :p Follow your common sense andygal...and ehm...listen to george carlin. :wink:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
:lol: :lol: :lol: I was not going to answer it anyway ocean. I am truly amazed at andygirl's free thinking for someone so young. So yes ocean two thumbs up to free thinking 8)

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
peapod said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I was not going to answer it anyway ocean. I am truly amazed at andygirl's free thinking for someone so young. So yes ocean two thumbs up to free thinking 8)

and a lot of maturity there too. :)

always welcome in an area like this. :wink:

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
The Repubs have won, what, five out of the last 7 US elections?

Thats true, but 5 out of the last 8 is true as well. And if bush did not steal 2000 election it would be 4 out of last 8 or even 3 out of last 8 as no one knows who would of won 2004 if Gore was not robbed in 2000. :wink:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Ocean Breeze said:

and that was his first mistake. :wink: and probably lead to the Crucifixion. People don't take kindly to being "converted"..

I would beg to differ. Jesus said "I’m not here to change the law, but to add to it".

He challenged the authority and logic of the Pharisees; the people called him King (perhaps rightfully so), and the Pharisees/Romans killed him for it.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
He challenged the authority and logic of the Pharisees; the people called him King (perhaps rightfully so), and the Pharisees/Romans killed him for it.

So why didn't they write it down? The Romans were insanely anal about record keeping, likely because of taxes. They had historians. The Jews had historians too. In none of the historical records from the time is Jesus mentioned, yet he was important to be strung up for political crimes.

thelib

Jun 16, 2005
Jay said:
Ocean Breeze said:

I would beg to differ. Jesus said "I’m not here to change the law, but to add to it".

Funny the people that bash religion on this board can't stand anybody that has a belief other then theirs, I'll bet you one thing, if they were in a aircraft that was @ 38,000 ft and were told to say goodbye, I think they would find religion real fast.

Its strange, as people get older or are confronted with their demise find some kinda God in a hurry.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"Funny the people that bash religion on this board can't stand anybody that has a belief other then theirs"

It takes all kinds....