Question for Albertans (or anyone who wants to contribute)

unspoken

Nominee Member
Jun 3, 2005
SK
This is a question I'm asking out of interest with regard to a conversation I had with a friend earlier tonight (the background of the conversation isn't necessary).

I'm just wondering, how strong the support is for Alberta's seperation from Canada (be it either by becoming a country itself or joining the US), and whether or not you think support for that movement will increase significantly if the Liberals are still in power after the next election (whenever it will be...2 weeks, 6 months, 3 years, who knows these days).
Since Albertans are the ones who are in the middle of this, I ask your opinions because they would likely be the best informed ones. But anyone else with relevant information or opinions, by all means post it.

unspoken

Nominee Member
Jun 3, 2005
SK
RE: Question for Albertans (or anyone who wants to contribut

Sorry Vanni. Even without an answer it seems I'm stirring up a heated debate...this was not my intent, I just want a serious answer to the question.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Re: RE: Question for Albertans (or anyone who wants to contr

unspoken said:
Sorry Vanni. Even without an answer it seems I'm stirring up a heated debate...this was not my intent, I just want a serious answer to the question.

Well, I'm thinking you'll get more answer than you'd like, although I don't know how serious it will be... :D

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Question for Albertan

Not who, what. Christ is Greek term for a saviour/god, especially one who sacrifices himself.

Alberta isn't going to separate, unspoken. Despite the very vocal few who will come here and yell and scream, there really isn't that much support for it.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

When I resided in Alberta for the last few years, I didn't hear much in favour of Separation from the many that I knew. My friend who is what you would consider a conservative or Klein supporter disagreed with much the current gov't, the Tredeau gov't, Mulroney, an of course Cretin has done with the country, he was not favourable to what separation would achieve though. Besides that many of the Blue collar people I worked with weren't very interested in it either. It is out there though because we've spent many a long and stoned night debating the results and effects any western...and Qwebeker separation would result in.

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
Where The Wild Things Are
RE: Question for Albertan

I don't know anyone who talks about separation here in Alberta. Then again, most people I talk to are not actually from Alberta, but have relocated for work, school, whatever. I suspect the thought of separating as a nation from their families and loved ones back home would strike them as a little weird.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: Question for Albertan

Laika said:
I don't know anyone who talks about separation here in Alberta. Then again, most people I talk to are not actually from Alberta, but have relocated for work, school, whatever. I suspect the thought of separating as a nation from their families and loved ones back home would strike them as a little weird.

Right now it is a very strong, very silent group, just waiting to see what happens in the next election. It was estimated in last years election that even without an official party there was around 25% support for separation. That was before the Gomery stuff, the kickbacks, and the recent vote buying. If the libs are relected, especially with a majority, or if the NDP becomes opposition thanks to a successful smear campaign against the conservatives, this support will dramatically increase. Many will disagree with me on this, but I caution you to do this at your peril. There is a definite mood for it, whether the end result be actual separation or to get the same kind of attention and perks that Quebec has received due to their constant threats. Either way, the talk of it has increased dramatically over the past year and a half.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Re: Question for Albertans (or anyone who wants to contribut

No its not, thats why I know bluealberta does not speak for alberta, just a certain group of albertians. I have many friends that live in alberta, having lived in Cranbrook, they liked vacationing in fairmont hot springs. Its just not true, from what they tell me anyway.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta

peapod said:
No its not, thats why I know bluealberta does not speak for alberta, just a certain group of albertians. I have many friends that live in alberta, having lived in Cranbrook, they liked vacationing in fairmont hot springs. Its just not true, from what they tell me anyway.

I was not using it as a threat, and may have used a poor choice of words. What I was trying to say is don't act surprised if it happens because the thought process has already started. Anyone who says a year, two or five down the road that they did not see it coming were not paying attention. There was no threat, implied or otherwise.

The Philosopher

Nominee Member

Well, I can give a testament as a Newfoundlander. When the "Newfoundland Liberation Party" (now known as the Newfoundland Party) formed it traveled to Alberta to talk to Preston Manning about joining forces in some kind of crazy Alberta-Newfoundland welfare state, of course the Newfoundland Liberation Party was incapable of taking more than 8 seats in Newfoundland, so they collapsed quickly.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Question for Albertan

Reverend Blair said:
Not who, what. Christ is Greek term for a saviour/god, especially one who sacrifices himself.

Alberta isn't going to separate, unspoken. Despite the very vocal few who will come here and yell and scream, there really isn't that much support for it.

Yes, I was shocked that Vanni used the term is all.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I use it all the time, and I ain't exactly a true believer. So does a Jew I know...although I think he does it to be funny because he suddenly gains a thick Yiddish accent when he does. 8)

I was not using it as a threat, and may have used a poor choice of words.

The thought, and thinly veiled "warning", has been implicitily contained in many of your posts for as long as you've been here.

What I was trying to say is don't act surprised if it happens because the thought process has already started. Anyone who says a year, two or five down the road that they did not see it coming were not paying attention.

Been hearing it all of my life.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta

Reverend Blair said:

I use it all the time, and I ain't exactly a true believer. So does a Jew I know...although I think he does it to be funny because he suddenly gains a thick Yiddish accent when he does. 8)

I was not using it as a threat, and may have used a poor choice of words.

The thought, and thinly veiled "warning", has been implicitily contained in many of your posts for as long as you've been here.

What I was trying to say is don't act surprised if it happens because the thought process has already started. Anyone who says a year, two or five down the road that they did not see it coming were not paying attention.

Been hearing it all of my life.

Gotta get some treatment for those voices in your head, I guess.

While there have been vague threats of this, such as the WCC back in the 70's, its different this time. Power people are talking about it now, not just the coffee shop folks, although they are too. This thought process is being discussed in boardrooms, coffee shops, bars, accountants offices, lawyers offices, etc. Don't make the mistake of just thinking that people you describe as rednecks are the only ones talking about it.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

While there have been vague threats of this, such as the WCC back in the 70's, its different this time.

Funny...that's what they said back in the 70's. And the 80's. And the 90's too. Hey, maybe this is a retro thing...like disco. Suppose they'll remake "Urban Cowboy"? Maybe they'll dig up Waylon Jennings and load his mouldering corpse up on cocaine and bourbon like they used to do when he was still good?

Power people are talking about it now, not just the coffee shop folks, although they are too. This thought process is being discussed in boardrooms, coffee shops, bars, accountants offices, lawyers offices, etc. Don't make the mistake of just thinking that people you describe as rednecks are the only ones talking about it.

Those are the people I describe as rednecks. I also describe them mean yuppies, filthy bastards and of course, PFGHs.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Alberta is not Texas

Alberta and Albertans think their province is better off going it alone, they think they don't have enough representation that they pay too much per capita to the federal government.

Having been to Alberta and Texas, I see striking similarities, but make no mistake Alberta is no Texas.

Sure you both love rodeos, cowboy boots and country music. Sure you both have oil and cattle. You both are about the same size in area, but economically, you guys don't compare.

Unlike Texas, which has a population of ~ 22,000,000 Alberta has only 3,125,000 people, about 14% of that.

The GDP of Texas is about $924.55 billion US, while Alberta has about 150 billion dollar GDP.

Unlike Texas, which has a very diverse economy including software, telecommunications, banking, semiconductor, automotive, telecommunications, wood products, pharmaceuticals, chemical, aerospace, and plastics, rubber industries, Alberta primarily relies on primary resources, which for the most part are non renewable.

So really, although culturally they share a lot, Alberta lacks the economic diversity, population (which leads to political clout) and money to be at par with Texas.

Now I know nobody on this board has said that Alberta is like Texas, but I think most in Alberta identify with Texas and are trying to emulate its position in the US but within Canada.

SECONDGEN

Electoral Member
Jun 7, 2005
Near the Rockies
Re: Alberta is not Texas

DasFX said:
Alberta and Albertans think their province is better off going it alone, they think they don't have enough representation that they pay too much per capita to the federal government.

Having been to Alberta and Texas, I see striking similarities, but make no mistake Alberta is no Texas.

Sure you both love rodeos, cowboy boots and country music. Sure you both have oil and cattle. You both are about the same size in area, but economically, you guys don't compare.

Unlike Texas, which has a population of ~ 22,000,000 Alberta has only 3,125,000 people, about 14% of that.

The GDP of Texas is about $924.55 billion US, while Alberta has about 150 billion dollar GDP.

Unlike Texas, which has a very diverse economy including software, telecommunications, banking, semiconductor, automotive, telecommunications, wood products, pharmaceuticals, chemical, aerospace, and plastics, rubber industries, Alberta primarily relies on primary resources, which for the most part are non renewable.

So really, although culturally they share a lot, Alberta lacks the economic diversity, population (which leads to political clout) and money to be at par with Texas.

Now I know nobody on this board has said that Alberta is like Texas, but I think most in Alberta identify with Texas and are trying to emulate its position in the US but within Canada.

Good points Das, and yes from the oil and gas perspectus Alberta is very like Texas. And yes we are NOT able to separate, not this decade and likely not in our life times as we speak. We are wealthy and thriving but are chronologically, economically, and worldly immature. We have not got the experience to step out on our own. We can't compete as a country that would be insane. ... We would have to take BC with us cause we love them and then Sask would whine and to shut them up we would take them but not without Man and then as we stood as "Bloc Western", Ottawa would be standing there scratching their heads wondering what hit them as they watched their economy spiral downwards. After some moaning and groaning among themselves the would come to "Bloc Western" and beg for us to come back promising to erase the GST, apologize for Trudeau and NEP, and admit they needed us.
HAH!!!! Ok only in a perfect world.