How would Quebec sovereignty affect other nations?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
One example I can think of relates to international precedent. After all, Canada is not the only country with such an issue. Could this embolden sovereignists in other countries? Could it cause other national governments to then become more lenient towards their sovereignists, or clamp down even harder, seeing Quebec as a warning sign?

We cannot ignore it, some countries really do look up to Canada, especially China (you need only mention Dr. Norman Bethune here). So certainly, despite Canada's small population and military, and despite it's small influence on the world economically, this would certainly make international news in a big way, and also cause other nations' views of Canada and Quebec to change in ways we might not even be able to immagine right now, for good or bad. And we cannot deny that, considering many people do in fact try to emulate North American norms with a certain naive belief in our superiority (and I'm not kidding here, I've come across a few who seem to worship their notion of North American culture, no matter how inaccurate their notion is), such a schism in Canada would certainly force them to change their view of the world beyond. In the Chinese mind, Canada stands as a giant in the influence it has on their perceptions of the world beyond their borders, with perhaps only the US and Britian standing taller. And even then, the US and britain, while perhaps taller in terms of influence on their perceptions of the world beyond, are somewht criticized for their role in Iraq, thus effectively making Canada, for various historical and current reasons, possibly the most influential model of the non-Chinese world in the Chinese mind today. (I'm not saying thise because I'm a Canadian, by the way; others have heard the same, and some Chiense friends have confirmed it too)

I would guess that certain US organizations, such as US English, likewise would gain adherents quickly by portraying hispanic America as the New Quebec, something they've already started doing anyway. France might love this, but then, how would that influence the relationship between the ROC and France if France then sympathises with Quebec, and English Canada perceives France as sly? Unless of course English Canada concludes that, while France might have been hoping for this, it did not cause it to happpen, and so some Canadians might be able to look past that?

And as for the rest of the world? Well, I could see Quebec proving more successful than any English-speaking part of Canada or the US in developping relations with Latin America and Latin Europe, due to similar linguistic and religious roots. English Canada could try to build relations with Britain, but then Britian is increasingly turning to Europe. And the US, well, thirty to fourty percent of its population, more than Canada's total population now, speaks Spanish as a native language, not to mention those who speak it as a non-native language!

And in Africa likewise, we sometimes come across the English-French language debate, so I'd suposed that that would also play out in the ROC's and Quebec's relaitonships with those countires too. Here it's unpredictable, sinse they must consider both language and economic issues. And as for the rest, totally unpredictable.

So what are your thoughts on this? How would Quebec's separation from Canada affect our relationships with other nationas around the world, because it certainly would. Even if they might not notice a big change in policy (after all, for them it's just redefining their relationship with one country, Canada), we certainly would (after all, if every nation modifies its relaitonship with us, that means having to completely redifine our relationship with the world, and how it perceives us.

Again, I'm not taking sides here. I'm just curious as to your thoughts on this.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Wow you are on a Soap Box aren't you.

I think the Chinese will tell you what ever you want to hear. Some people like you fall for it.

"A Fool Lies Here..."
Now it is not good
For the Christian’s health
To hustle the Aryan brown,
For the Christian riles
And the Aryan smiles
And he wearth the Christian down;
And the end of the fight
Is tombstone white
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear,
“A fool lies here
Who tried to hustle the East."

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
I don't know if it would make that big a ripple on the international stage. A lot of Europe broke apart in the last 10 - 15 years, with not that big an impact in the long run. A bigger question might be what it would do to Canada, seeing as it would isolate the maritimes by geography anyway, and would it further encourage western views on separatism, or would it make western separatists take a step back and take a closer look? You have a good question, though, and I look forward to the response of others.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'd reread my post and realize I really haven't expressed myself properly. I was lazy and typing too fast, at the spur of the moment, as I usually do in forums.

Anyway, I intended to focus on the impact of Quebec sovereignty's impact on Canada's international relations, not necessarily on their relations with Canada. On the other hand, I also intended to point out that it could also have at least some impact on them as well, none the less, even though it was grossly exaggerated.

Now as for the respect afforded Canada in China, it is indeed high, and good friends I've had for years and who'd tell me in my face if they disagreed with me have said the same. Now I did exaggerate the impact though, in that the only people who'd really be affected, and I should have mentionned this in the previous post but didn't out of sloth, would be those among my more immediate surroundings (i.e., middle to upper class, who might actually have the chance to go abroad).

So why would Canada have such an impact on them? well, they desperately want a chance to go abroad to see the world for themselves, and their second language is English (so that alone knocks off most of the world right there, leaving only the English speaking countries). As for the US and Britain, they're the most powerful among those countries, but are losing respect over Iraq. Canada has had China's respect for years, so if you combine that with the fact that we have English language universities, and student visas which are easier to obtain than in the US sinse 911, and the fact that two famous English language Canadian universities are located in the province of Quebec (i.e., McGill and Concordia), Quebec sovereignty would certainly be a shock to all those Chinese who were hoping to go to Canada sinse most of them, while aware of the Quebec issue, probably can't immagine it actually separating. So if it did happen, they'd suddenly want to re-evaluate how this might affect Quebec's and Canada's provision of student and otehr visas. So my claim that Canada would have such a big impact would certainly be true. Now granted this would be limited to my world, the world of the Chinese educated classes, and so certainly might not have any impact on the generality of the Chinese population.

Having said that, however, I've just thought of the fact that they might solve the problem simply by ignoring Canada and go to Australia instead, problem solved. Bear in mind, though, that this could lose Canada some money and influence, not to mention that the increased competition in Australia and Britain, and to some extent the US, could then cause some students to risk Canada, and for the rest to decide to dump English and start looking for other opportunities, such as learning French, Japanese or German, etc. So I suppose that they'd solve the problem pretty easily. It's just Canada that would mostly be affected.

But hey, looking back on it, you're right, I do live in a bubble if I consider a few universities to be such a major issue. Well, I suppose that it's all relative to the circumstances. My world is shaped by my circle of friends to some degree without a doubt, and I'm primarily in an industry which involves building relationships and signing contracts between schools across borders. It would be devastating for my business, unless I could then break out into the French, Belgian and Swiss markets using French. So yes, now that I think about it, I do live in a soap box. And so anything which could potentially impact my personal business herer in China, impact my world.

I agree, thise thread might be a little silly. Sorry.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
This thread is not silly at all.

If Quebec manages to seperate succesfully without any violence, I believe it would have a considerable effect on the complex puzzle of international relationships. Of course, I don't think this would make the headlines everywhere in the world but Quebec and Canada would certainly draw attention on themselves.

Quebec seperation would first of all be a surprise to many in the world who just don't know that much about Canada and imagine our country as a kind of problem-free society of abundance. It would also teach a lot of people who simply don't know there is a strong Francophone society in North America. In the end, I believe Quebec seperation would point out to the world that North America is a great melting pot of cultures, not simply the US and it's neighbors.

Second, I would hope that seperation would happen peacefully, and if it does, it would be a nice example of how political problems can be solved without the use of bombs and guns. I believe Quebec and Canada would both stand out as mature nations for their capacity to solve problems in an adult and civil way.

Perhaps a country of Quebec would inspire other seperatists throughout the world and if it does, I truly hope we will set a good and positive example.

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
EagleSmack: You can read the minds of all Chinese people? You know they're just BSing us? You're amazing!

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Re: RE: How would Quebec sovereignty affect other nations?

s_lone said:
Perhaps a country of Quebec would inspire other seperatists throughout the world and if it does, I truly hope we will set a good and positive example.

What if it inspires a sepratist movement within Quebec? Would it still be positive?

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal

DasFX said:
s_lone said:

What if it inspires a sepratist movement within Quebec? Would it still be positive?

That will be up to the "new seperatists". To me "positive" means non-violent and democratically responsible.

I don't think a new seperatist movement in a country of Quebec would gain enough support to be a serious problem. The desire for vengeance wouldn't last very long because Quebec would keep on being a pretty good place to live. But of course, I might very well be wrong. A bit of wishful thinking there I admit...

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario

s_lone said:
I don't think a new seperatist movement in a country of Quebec would gain enough support to be a serious problem.

Depends on what you define as the area that wants to separate. I mean nationally, Quebec separation isn't very popular just as the division of a part of Quebec would not be popular provincially.

Take the Outaouais area and the English part of Montreal and I'm sure many would choose to separate and return to Canada. Would that be allowed?

I've still never gotten a good answer on why Canada is divisible and Quebec isn't? Now, I'm not talking about forcibliy taking back the North of Quebec, but if the majority of people in those areas want to leave, why can't they? It is very clear that this idea of separation isn't for everyone and all regions of Quebec.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal

DasFX said:
s_lone said:
I don't think a new seperatist movement in a country of Quebec would gain enough support to be a serious problem.

I've still never gotten a good answer on why Canada is divisible and Quebec isn't?

It is a very tough question to anwer I admit. I hope the PQ, which is presently in a fairly popular but unstable state, will adress this issue and come up with smart and interesting propositions. The PQ has a leadership race coming up and hopefully, they will agree on a strong and coherent sovereignty project.

To me, it comes down to this question. Should a nation have it's country? You might say yes but say that Quebecers do not form a nation. You would be wrong. We are a nation whether you like it or not. (in my opinion anyway... :) )

On the other hand, you could say that Quebecers do form a nation but that a nation does not necessarily need a country of it's own. In that case, the problem is that Canada doesn't recognize us as a nation.

If we at least had the recognition we wanted it would be a step further towards building a stronger Canadian unity. But it sure doesn't look like it's gonna happen anytime soon...

Cathou

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2005
Montréal

DasFX said:
s_lone said:

Depends on what you define as the area that wants to separate. I mean nationally, Quebec separation isn't very popular just as the division of a part of Quebec would not be popular provincially.

Take the Outaouais area and the English part of Montreal and I'm sure many would choose to separate and return to Canada. Would that be allowed?

I've still never gotten a good answer on why Canada is divisible and Quebec isn't? Now, I'm not talking about forcibliy taking back the North of Quebec, but if the majority of people in those areas want to leave, why can't they? It is very clear that this idea of separation isn't for everyone and all regions of Quebec.

the partition of an independant quebec is purely stupid to me. with that idea i can separate my house from canada because i want to make my own country ! i think that a line must be draw somewhere... and anyway, i dont think that those enclave would live long. you really think that a city of 100k people completly cut from it's country could work ? and think that westmount produce nothing. the city would need to buy electricity from quebec, make agrement with quebec to dispose their garbages, they cant communicate without using quebec infrastructure, they cant dispose of their snow, they dont have an airport or a seaport, they cannot produce water since there's no water in their territory... do i really need to put more exemple of why they cannot be viable ?

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario

Cathou said:
the partition of an independant quebec is purely stupid to me. with that idea i can separate my house from canada because i want to make my own country ! i think that a line must be draw somewhere...

I'm not talking about separating a neighbourhood or part of a city; I mean a entire region, say around Ottawa and the part in between Montreal and Ontario border. In fact, I think as a whole, a majority of the districts in Montreal would choose to remain in Canada. Most separatist sentiment is centered in rural francophone areas and smaller cities and not in Montreal.

I agree the line was must be drawn, but I don't think it should be drawn by the people who they would be separating from.

Why should these people be denied the right to leave? Shouldn't the ROC then deny the right for Quebec to leave?

Whether this enclave survives or not really should not be Quebec's business, just as the ROC should not be concerned about Quebec's long-term survival.

Cathou

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2005
Montréal

DasFX said:
Cathou said:
the partition of an independant quebec is purely stupid to me. with that idea i can separate my house from canada because i want to make my own country ! i think that a line must be draw somewhere...

I'm not talking about separating a neighbourhood or part of a city; I mean a entire region, say around Ottawa and the part in between Montreal and Ontario border. In fact, I think as a whole, a majority of the districts in Montreal would choose to remain in Canada. Most separatist sentiment is centered in rural francophone areas and smaller cities and not in Montreal.

I agree the line was must be drawn, but I don't think it should be drawn by the people who they would be separating from.

Why should these people be denied the right to leave? Shouldn't the ROC then deny the right for Quebec to leave?

Whether this enclave survives or not really should not be Quebec's business, just as the ROC should not be concerned about Quebec's long-term survival.

half of montreal is francophone and separatist, and you have several area etween ottawa and montreal that are too. Quebec city is fairly separatist too... it's not that simple. and then, why have a majority of vote in a referendum ? simple all region that vote yes will be part of the new coutry and the others stay in canada ? and then split again city that vote yes in part that vote no ?

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario

Cathou said:
half of montreal is francophone and separatist, and you have several area etween ottawa and montreal that are too. Quebec city is fairly separatist too... it's not that simple. and then, why have a majority of vote in a referendum ? simple all region that vote yes will be part of the new coutry and the others stay in canada ? and then split again city that vote yes in part that vote no ?

Sure I'd be all for having each riding decides it's own fate. I mean if some people don't want to go, why should they be forced to go? Why must they go with the majority?

Quebec currently is a part of Canada, but they want to remove their single part from Canada, so why couldn't the Outauois remove itself from Quebec?

If Quebec is indivisible, why should Canada be? Will Quebec become a nation of hypocrisy?

Cathou

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2005
Montréal

DasFX said:
Cathou said:

Sure I'd be all for having each riding decides it's own fate. I mean if some people don't want to go, why should they be forced to go? Why must they go with the majority?

Quebec currently is a part of Canada, but they want to remove their single part from Canada, so why couldn't the Outauois remove itself from Quebec?

If Quebec is indivisible, why should Canada be? Will Quebec become a nation of hypocrisy?

again, it a question of drawing a line somewhere. the question is reversible : if 45% of the population vote for the Yes in a referendum, why they should follow the 55% who want to stay in canada ? and in a riding where 65% who vote no, why the 35% of vote yes should stay in canada ? and if westmount for exemple want to stay in canada, why edmonton for exemple cant leave ? i'm sure that there is in the west some riding that could want to quit canada...

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

Cathou said:
DasFX said:
s_lone said:

the partition of an independant quebec is purely stupid to me. with that idea i can separate my house from canada because i want to make my own country ! i think that a line must be draw somewhere... and anyway, i dont think that those enclave would live long. you really think that a city of 100k people completly cut from it's country could work ? and think that westmount produce nothing. the city would need to buy electricity from quebec, make agrement with quebec to dispose their garbages, they cant communicate without using quebec infrastructure, they cant dispose of their snow, they dont have an airport or a seaport, they cannot produce water since there's no water in their territory... do i really need to put more exemple of why they cannot be viable ?

Firstly, I believe Canada should adopt the same approach on this issue as the U.S. ... "ONE NATION UNDER GOD INDIVISIBLE".

Secondly, if Quebec ever does try to seperate, we would have a Belfast revisited. A civil war would errupt. There are some 800,000 English speaking folks living in Quebec, a lot of which are concentrated in Montreal. A good chunk of Montreal would surely partition itself from Quebec. You would have all of the West Island (which is still overwhelmingly English), the west end (NDG, Hampstead, Cote St.Luc, Montreal West), Westmount, Town of Mount Royal...etc who will surely force the issue to remain in Canada. I do not foresee all those folks who have homes in the West Island/West End Montreal selling their homes and moving elsewhere (rest of Canada/U.S.). If that situation would ever arise (an attempt of Quebec to seperate from Canada ... God forbid), the Canadian gov't would probably declare a State of Emergency in Quebec, declaring Marshall Law, particulalry if there is ongoing armed confrontations in the streets.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal

Nascar_James said:
Firstly, I believe Canada should adopt the same approach on this issue as the U.S. ... "ONE NATION UNDER GOD INDIVISIBLE".

Secondly, if Quebec ever does try to seperate, we would have a Belfast revisited. A civil war would errupt. There are some 800,000 English speaking folks living in Quebec, a lot of which are concentrated in Montreal. A good chunk of Montreal would surely partition itself from Quebec. You would have all of the West Island (which is still overwhelmingly English), the west end (NDG, Hampstead, Cote St.Luc, Montreal West), Westmount, Town of Mount Royal...etc who will surely force the issue to remain in Canada. I do not foresee all those folks who have homes in the West Island/West End Montreal selling their homes and moving elsewhere (rest of Canada/U.S.). If that situation would ever arise (an attempt of Quebec to seperate from Canada ... God forbid), the Canadian gov't would probably declare a State of Emergency in Quebec, declaring Marshall Law, particulalry if there is ongoing armed confrontations in the streets.

There's no doubt that tensions would flare up if Quebec seperated. But let's not get hasty here... Things would not necessarily get violent. People only tend to get violent when they really feel threatened in their own personal lives and nothing indicates that Anglophone Quebecers would see their lives change drastically. The idea behind seperation is not to create an evil totalitarian state! If everybody stays cool, life could very well go on in a fairly smooth way. Of course things would change but I don't think these changes would be dramatic enough to cause violent resistance from the federalists.

On the other hand, things could get ugly... It all depends on the circumstances... Ideally, I would like sovereignty to happen in a positive state of mind but realistically, I tend to think that if the sovereignists do end up winning a clear victory, it will be in a bitter state of mind. A sort of "the-hell-with-Canada" mood. In this situation, things could get quite delicate...

Cathou

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2005
Montréal

Nascar_James said:

Please no...

Nascar_James said:

i dont think that trouble will raise that way. first in 2001 it was 480 045 people that speak english at home. and dont assume that because they speak english that they are automatically federalist.

so we talk to maybe 400 000 english people. Most of them have money and a fairly good job, and they wont change it just because they dont want to be in quebec. Wake up, all the money we have here wont go away in 2 days after a referendum. Compagny wont change their shop or plant elsewhere just because it's not canada anymore. Stop thinking with you heart on money buisness, compagny dont have a heart. they wont spend million in moving expense for no reason. Dont expect a civil war neither, like i said earlier, dont exect federal governement to help a couple of enclaves in quebec, it will cost way too much...