Canada a quiet participator.

Numure
Quote: Originally Posted by Jo Canadian

Quote: 80% of the depleted uranium dropped in Iraq was manufactured in Canada. You know, I haven't heard too much about the trade of Uranium between Canada and the states. I am aware that there are Uranium mines in Canada, but our choices of customers are limited though. If we traded with anyone else, such as oh, maybe Russia or France I would bet there would be a backlash from the states in regards to those activities. So besides using it in Nuclear powerplants what else would we do with it to maintain a profit?? We do have a free market of sorts and if there is a demand for something that we have and don't use much I'm sure selling it would be the next step.
I don't know where the 80% stat came from for the weapons being used with our uranium. I'm just curious to how much of the Uranium that we do trade in gets used for fuel?? I would like to find that out...And I don't think Canada actually can enrich uranium for weapons grade materials.
If you have any info of such I'm quite curious to find out.

Quote has been trimmed
I say we should send Uranium to Iran, North Korea, China and Cuba for Nuclear power plants instead. It wouldnt be used for Weapons.

Said1
Free Thinker
This is an interesting link on the topic of uranium:http://www.ccnr.org/myth_4.html

Jo Canadian
Quote:

I say we should send Uranium to Iran, North Korea, China and Cuba for Nuclear power plants instead. It wouldnt be used for Weapons.

I'd be a little iffy about giving uranium to North Korea, Our Dear Leader seems a little too wonky.

Numure

Quote:

I'd be a little iffy about giving uranium to North Korea, Our Dear Leader seems a little too wonky.

Well, not me. Why would anyone attack us? If we make enemies, then someone would. But if we have none?

Said1
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Numure

Quote:

Well, not me. Why would anyone attack us? If we make enemies, then someone would. But if we have none?

It's not so much about us getting attacked. What would Canadian government do if they decided to enriched or reprocess it without the prior consent of the Canadian government?

I think not
Don't be so sure Canada may not be attacked said1. It's true, Canada doesn't seem to have any apparent enemies, however, Canada may be seen as a way to disrupt oil, gas and other essentials to the US.

Think about it in economic terms also, not only political.

Said1
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

Don't be so sure Canada may not be attacked said1. It's true, Canada doesn't seem to have any apparent enemies, however, Canada may be seen as a way to disrupt oil, gas and other essentials to the US.

I'm not sure Canada won't be attacked, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was talking about uranium sales to N. Korea, the possible rammifications and how we are practically powerless to stop it once the uranium has changed hands. The N.Koreans can't really be trusted now can they?

peapod
Oh yes, someone mind invade canada ...wait we got 30 soldiers..who would dare take us on.

Said1
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

Oh yes, someone mind invade canada ...wait we got 30 soldiers..who would dare take us on.

No, no. Those 30 soldiers are occupiedo in Iraqo. They're rootin' tootin' gun slinging occupiers. Annie, get your gun!

peapod
Ah...lil said I am starting to like you, you got the mojo But wait don't you think those 30 camaflouged men will return with their snowballs and protect the big igloo??

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1

I'm not sure Canada won't be attacked, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was talking about uranium sales to N. Korea, the possible rammifications and how we are practically powerless to stop it once the uranium has changed hands. The N.Koreans can't really be trusted now can they?

I was responding to Numure, but anyways. Nobody can be trusted with nuclear weapons, and I'm most certainly including the US in the same pile.

Said1
Free Thinker

I was responding to Numure, but anyways. Nobody can be trusted with nuclear weapons, and I'm most certainly including the US in the same pile.

If you were responding to Numure, then why didn't you say "Don't be so sure Canada won't be attacted Said1", EH?

I think not

Quote: Originally Posted by I think notQuote: Originally Posted by Said1Quote: Originally Posted by I think notDon't be so sure Canada may not be attacked said1. It's true, Canada doesn't seem to have any apparent enemies, however, Canada may be seen as a way to disrupt oil, gas and other essentials to the US.
Think about it in economic terms also, not only political.I'm not sure Canada won't be attacked, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was talking about uranium sales to N. Korea, the possible rammifications and how we are practically powerless to stop it once the uranium has changed hands. The N.Koreans can't really be trusted now can they?I was responding to Numure, but anyways. Nobody can be trusted with nuclear weapons, and I'm most certainly including the US in the same pile.If you were responding to Numure, then why didn't you say "Don't be so sure Canada won't be attacted Said1", EH?

Quote has been trimmed
Error?

Said1
Free Thinker

Ah...lil said I am starting to like you, you got the mojo But wait don't you think those 30 camaflouged men will return with their snowballs and protect the big igloo??

Naw, the US will save us. Wooot!

Said1
Free Thinker

Quote: Originally Posted by I think notQuote: Originally Posted by Said1Quote: Originally Posted by I think notDon't be so sure Canada may not be attacked said1. It's true, Canada doesn't seem to have any apparent enemies, however, Canada may be seen as a way to disrupt oil, gas and other essentials to the US.
Think about it in economic terms also, not only political.I'm not sure Canada won't be attacked, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was talking about uranium sales to N. Korea, the possible rammifications and how we are practically powerless to stop it once the uranium has changed hands. The N.Koreans can't really be trusted now can they?I was responding to Numure, but anyways. Nobody can be trusted with nuclear weapons, and I'm most certainly including the US in the same pile.If you were responding to Numure, then why didn't you say "Don't be so sure Canada won't be attacted Said1", EH?

Quote has been trimmed
Error?

It happens.

I think not

Yes we need your oil and gas

Said1
Free Thinker

Yes we need your oil and gas

What about Alaska?

You know I'm teasing, don't make that face at me!

I think not
Speaking of Alaska, I flew to Barrow, Alaska back in 1997. The Northernmost point in North America as far as dry land can take you anyway.

They had a Mexican Restaurant! I found that funny really, come to think of it, it was the ONLY restaurant! Horrible food, was sick for days.

But I got to stick my foot in the Artic Ocean :P for about 5 seconds, brrrrr! cold.

Ted
http://www.acepilots.com/unscam/archives/001890.html

Quote:

Canadian Connection
This by Mark Steyn at The Western Standard (registration required)
I always love the bit on the big international news story where they try to find the Canadian angle. A couple of months back, every time I switched on The National, there seemed to be no news at all and Peter Mansbridge was in the middle of some 133-part series of reports on “Canadians making a difference in the world,” which at least three nights a week seemed to be an “encore presentation” of the same worthy soft-focus featurette about some guy helping with an irrigation project in Sudan.
Once upon a time, it didn’t seem such an effort to find “Canadians making a difference in the world”--D-Day, say, or even the early years of Pearsonian peacekeeping. But it’s a stretch nowadays. In the maple-free zone of the Afghan campaign in fall 2001, several desperate media outlets were driven to rhapsodizing over my old chum from Fleet Street days, Alex Renton, spokesman for the international aid agency Oxfam--or to give him his full honorific, as the Sun chain’s Greg Weston liked to put it, “the Toronto-born spokesman for the international aid agency Oxfam.” The Toronto-born Alex spent his formative years at Eton--not Eton, Ontario, the agreeable municipality a scenic one-day drive from Sault Ste. Marie, but Eton College, the swanky boys’ school for Brit toffs. His father is Lord Renton, a cabinet minister under Mrs. Thatcher. I’m all for...

Quote has been trimmed

Ted
Just to clarify: I don't know how much, if any of the above is true. Does anyone have any insights about this? I have often thought that there might be skeletons like this in the closet. At least our neighbours to the south have no illusions about their role in the world, and about half of them are outraged. Are we living in la la land thinking we are innocent, or do we have dark secrets too awful for Canadians to know about?

Derry McKinney
Your example is little conspiracy theoryish, Ted. That doesn't mean it isn't right...there's a reason why the word conspiracy exists.

Whenever I see a right-wing news source going after PowerCorp, my suspicion's rise though. I have no illusions about the Liberals or Maurice Strong or even Power Corp. I just doubt that they are omniscient, or even that well organized. When I see something like coming from a source like The Western Standard, I kind of think of it like one of those Area 51 specials.

I doubt they are that cooperative or connected. They don't have to be. You get a bunch of people working towards their own enrichment and, if they are from similar backgrounds with similar goals, it will have the same result and look like a conspiracy.

Said1
Free Thinker
Oh, ITN, they were good times, weren't they?

wallyj
Powercorp has 2 billion invested in Iran through a subsidiary,Total SA. This may or may not have influenced our soft diplomacy over the murder of a Canadian journalist.Also,chretien's wife was gifted a 2 million dollar mansion by powercorp shortly after he left office.These are facts.Makes one wonder.doesn't it?

I think not

Oh, ITN, they were good times, weren't they?

Absolutely glorious.

Said1
Free Thinker
I wonder what happened to Derry? An unfortunate accident, involving goats and a 50 pound bag of feed?