Reasons why they didn't vote

Karlin
I get frustrated hearing the reasons why people won't go vote. otherwise intelligent people seem to get an attack of lazyness or something.

Here is some I heard yesterday:
1] "its the system, and until that changes its just no use voting"
[- so I said: there is a vote to accept STV, a major change for "the system" , how about voting for that? [they scrambled to explain and got flustered]

2] "democracy is stupid - very few people know enough to vote"
{obviously, they are not smart enough!!]

3] "its all controlled by industry anyhow, it doesn't matter who is in power"
- oh ya? what about the freaks, or independants, who are running - you won't get industry influence on them!! Vote for an outsider is the theme here, since all "major party" nominees have been hand picked by industry.

----------------add some !! I think they are just lazy , what do you think?

Its very frustrating to see the poor people not voting, handing the power to those who will surely continue the war on the poor. I might be living an illusion here, but I still believe that voting for the outsiders would bring the changes we need for equality. I have to believe that we can affect the world around us with our lives and votes. Funny how those who say things like "we create our own world" don't even vote....

Drug addicts who don't vote are giving the thumbs up for the War on Drugs, which is a War on Them.

Karlin

PS - I voted for the Marijuana Party,Phil McMillian, as that is one issue I feel very clear about - it must be legalised. Marijuana IS medicine, food, and fibre - all of huge value.

And I said YES to the STV.

no1important
Canada should do what Australia and Greece do and make voting mandatory.

Jay
Forcing people to vote just doesn't seem very democratic to me.....

no1important
No it doesn't sound democratic, but it is the only way to get higher turnouts I think.

Or Maybe make voting day a stat holiday of sorts to encourage people to vote?

Do you think maybe "Mail In Ballots" would increase voter participation?

It just really ticks me off how the Voter turn out is not as high as it should be.

Reverend Blair
Education and reforming the system so people feel like they have a real choice would make a big difference.

Most people have seen snippets of Question Period...it is kind of hard to ask people to vote for that monkey house. Even when they are mostly well-haved, QP is closer to professional wrestling than government.

Most people don't kow about committees and how they work. Most people never think about all of the meetings etc. that go on. Most people have never belonged to a political party and seen how that works. Education on politics in the schools would get people interested and let them see how things really work.

missile
Conservative
I consider it my duty to cast the ballot,and always have done so. Many times I didn't feel like it..didn't like the candidates or the weather was bad,but have gone to the polls anyway.[Most times ,the one I vote for loses,too]

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by no1important

Or Maybe make voting day a stat holiday of sorts to encourage people to vote?

That would mean fixing the day we have elections.

Quote: Originally Posted by no1important

Do you think maybe "Mail In Ballots" would increase voter participation?

That might be an alternative.

Frankly speaking, the people I know who don't vote; I don't mind that they don't. They tend to not know a thing about politics and legalities and have crazy ideas.

missile
Conservative
We can file our taxes online,why not vote this way?

no1important
Quote: Originally Posted by missile

We can file our taxes online,why not vote this way?

That is a good question. Why not? I could see that working. But maybe "hackers" may be a problem? I dunno.

Jay
I think in time we will be able to vote online.

Reverend Blair
On-line voting does not solve the problem of people not voting though. What about poor people without access to computers? What about old people who don't care about computers? What about people who don't trust the security?

It will give people more excuses not to vote, not less.

Jay
In time things will change with computers.

Reverend Blair
It will be long time though. Look at the problems with the computerized voting machines in the US. No papertrail, easy to hack, partisanship from the suppliers...we are not any where close to ready for it.

Jay
I don't think we are talking about computerised voting machines though.

Reverend Blair
Oh? If you are voting using your computer, what did you think was going to be on the other end? A paper ballot?

mrmom2
No to computer voting Thats the last thing we want theres zero democracy in that idea .No paper trail will lead to fraud you guys trust politicians to do the right thing? We can not afford to lose the right to go watch paper ballots being counted .Its the cornerstone of our democracy watching it action.We lose that right we'll be in a police state faster than you can blink your eyes HOW CAN ANBODY TRUST POLITICIANS WITH WHAT WE'VE BEEN HEARING COMING OUT OF OTTAWA NO TO VOTING MACHINES

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Oh? If you are voting using your computer, what did you think was going to be on the other end? A paper ballot?

(Jay hesitates...) a data base on government servers?

Maybe I'm missing something here….

Reverend Blair
I said,
Quote:

It will be long time though. Look at the problems with the computerized voting machines in the US. No papertrail, easy to hack, partisanship from the suppliers...we are not any where close to ready for it.

You said,
Quote:

I don't think we are talking about computerised voting machines though.

I said,
Quote:

I'm not sure what you're missing, Jay.