What Bono has to say about Paul Martin's promise breaking.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: What Bono has to say

Bono has been pretty vocal about this. I never liked his music music much, but he's pretty effective as a politician.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Have you heard him say anything about the US backing out of promises? I wonder what his fascination is with Canada?

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Re: What Bono has to say about Paul Martin's promise breakin

Have you heard him say anything about the US backing out of promises? I wonder what his fascination is with Canada?

:? Perhaps he had higher expectations of our country.

:banghead: Everybody knows that trying to get the U.S to second guess it's own policies (especially if you're not from there) is like kicking a dead horse.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

He's been very critical of any country...including the US...that won't meet the 0.7% mark, is undermining debt relief efforts, or has been working against the UN's AIDS, Malaria, and TB program. He has very critical of the Bush regime as a result.

The reason he's going after Martin so hard is that they had an agreement. Martin has broken it.

badboy

Nominee Member
Apr 13, 2005
Re: RE: What Bono has to say

Reverend Blair said:
He's been very critical of any country...including the US...that won't meet the 0.7% mark, is undermining debt relief efforts, or has been working against the UN's AIDS, Malaria, and TB program. He has very critical of the Bush regime as a result.

The reason he's going after Martin so hard is that they had an agreement. Martin has broken it.

Hrmm there's a shock. Martin, him, never, HAHAHAHAHA.

And maybe Bono should go back to making music, I’m sick of hearing these Ahole's with a bank accounts bigger then some countries voicing their PC crap on everybody. Give all your money to your cause then I’ll listen, until then STFU.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Bono gives a lot of money to his causes, badboy. Since a lot of the problem is governmental he also does something far more important...he lets people know what's going on so they can put pressure on their elected leaders.

He's fairly effective at it, too. He's also taken the time to learn about the issues, so he's far more qualified than the average spokesperson and more qualified than many of the leaders he deals with.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

he's a pretty good role model for the younger set...those who don't really want to be involved in political activities, but he does stir them up to at least take notice and talk about issues.

badboy

Nominee Member
Apr 13, 2005

Reverend Blair said:
Bono gives a lot of money to his causes, badboy. Since a lot of the problem is governmental he also does something far more important...he lets people know what's going on so they can put pressure on their elected leaders.

He's fairly effective at it, too. He's also taken the time to learn about the issues, so he's far more qualified than the average spokesperson and more qualified than many of the leaders he deals with.

You know what; he should stay out of our business. We should fix problems at home first then and only then maybe we should give (GIVE) some money to other causes.

Bono go back to the studio and make music. And go see a doctor about your guilty “I have so much money now I need to make a difference in the world”
I don’t remember him having this problem when he didn’t have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

I don’t remember him having this problem when he didn’t have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out.

well, i doubt anyone to listen to him at that time either! 8)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

he's a pretty good role model for the younger set...those who don't really want to be involved in political activities, but he does stir them up to at least take notice and talk about issues.

He does that, for sure. He's also attracted the attention of a lot of people my age who never really did get involved in politics.

Badbot: Why not take your theory to the next IMF meeting you get invited to? :lol:

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Anyone call Martins number yet? I Intend to after 5 tonight when rates are lower. I can't imagine its his own home nmber though. Probabley his office?

I recieved this when I 411 it.

We're sorry. We did not find a listing for the phone number you entered.
The phone number "(613) 992-4211" is a Ottawa-Hull, ON based phone number and the registered carrier is Bell Canada.

Now I am definatly going to call it.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

yeah, my daughter was at the concert last friday in vancouver. he is her idol. front row, centre - even got his water bottle! :wink:

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto

badboy said:
Hrmm there's a shock. Martin, him, never, HAHAHAHAHA.

And maybe Bono should go back to making music, I’m sick of hearing these Ahole's with a bank accounts bigger then some countries voicing their PC crap on everybody. Give all your money to your cause then I’ll listen, until then STFU.

My initial reaction is similar when these self-appointed celebrity crusaders start preaching about this issue or that. And that is still my reaction if they get involved in partisan political issues. Bono is no intellectual heavyweight by any measure, but I give him 'props' for what he is doing to raise awareness of these things that should not be controversial at all: the AIDS in Africa CRISIS, and increased foreign aid. Good for him. Martin should be ashamed. Typical, though, for a man with no principles.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

So why are you supporting the party that hates foreign aid and would back the USA's stance on AIDS instead of participating in the UN's AIDS, Malaria, and TB program?

Martin should be ashamed. So should Harper.

intlcanadian

Jul 7, 2005

badboy said:
You know what; he should stay out of our business. We should fix problems at home first then and only then maybe we should give (GIVE) some money to other causes.

Maybe if Paul Martin didn't USE Bono as a tool to get elected your argument would be stronger. As it is, Martin (and therefore Canada) made a promise to the international community (we gave our promise to many more people than Bono) and now are cowardly backing out. If he didn't plan on sticking to his promises he shouldn't have lied in the first place. Good old unaccountability in politicians. Paul Martin is a spineless creep.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta

Was listening to a radio show last night, and they were talking about a newspaper interview that a German paper, Der Stiegel(?) did with the preeminent Kenyan economist who stated that he wished the foreign aid to Africa would stop, because it only ended up in the ruling parties pockets, the people who needed it never say a dime of it, and the aid was used as a form of income for the country. His comparison was to Southern Asia, specifically the new so-called Asian tigers who did not receive much, if any, foreigh aid, and had to rely on themselves to boost their economy, which has obviously been successful. I have not been able to find this article, and if anyone else could find it, would appreciate posting a link.

His main premise was to quit the foreign aid and force the African nations to drag themselves up, given that there is plenty of natural resources, oil, diamonds, gold, silver, etc. that are available for development. Interesting ideas from someone who is actually "on the ground" so to speak. Anyway, if anyone finds this, or a link, please post, so can actually read this words.