Trying to catch the elusive Liberal Candidate

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Has anyone besides me noticed that to find a liberal attending a debate or foram is pretty much a 'no show'?. Feels like it is much more difficult to pin them down to any kind of public gathering that isn't part of the 'script'. How about in your area?

Ted

Nominee Member
May 12, 2005
Vancouver
The only event the Liberal showed up for in this riding was the high school debate. I guess he thought that he could just read the script to those dumb kids and it wouldn't matter because they can't vote anyways.

Well, according to my kids and their friends, the students asked hard questions, and when all they got was the same old line, the kids called him on it and demanded answers to their questions. He got flustered and just faded into the background and let the NDP candidate answer the questions after that.

The students are holding mock elections tomorrow, and the pre-election polls have the Liberals in 3rd behind the NDP and the Greens.

There is something to be said for lowering the voting age! :lol:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"There is something to be said for lowering the voting age!"

Na, we have enough children in politics, as it is.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Ah, you’re proclaiming their innocence.....about time.

It’s better than the adults on the left, who know they are screwing us and do it on purpose.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Trying to catch the e

Actually, the NDP have been the only party acting like adults these last few weeks. They haven't screwed anybody though.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
The NDP have to act like adults, if they want to attach their name to this budget.

They haven't had the opportunity to screw us federally, and I don't think they will for some time yet, and that could actually be to their benefit.

Ted

Nominee Member
May 12, 2005
Vancouver
The only Liberal candidate I have seen throughout the campaign was Joyce Murray, standing on the corner of Kingsway and 10th. I thought it was fitting! I guess she was trying to appeal to all the new homeless in the neighbourhood by walking in their moccassins for a few minutes.

As a Green Candidate in this BC election I can say the Liberals have been hit and miss. The Liberal in my riding of Surrey-Whalley has been to every candidate meeting - Barbara Steele. As for the other ridings in Greater Vancouver - they have been avoiding them like the plague.

They don't want to hear from the people, and they want to keep a low profile. It will probably work as many people don't even go to all-candidate meetings and the media here is very pro-Liberal so they don't even make hay when they don't show.

**bias alert** you live in Surrey-Whalley remember vote for Roy Whyte on May 17!! And say yes to STV!!

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: Trying to catch the e

Reverend Blair said:
Actually, the NDP have been the only party acting like adults these last few weeks. They haven't screwed anybody though.

..........except for an extra $4.6billion in the Layton budget that wasn't there before. This at a time when there are supposed to be government cutbacks in services across the country.

The NDP have actually been running a very covert dirty campaign against the Green Party. They are scaring people into voting NDP because of the vote-splitting issue.

Some among the NDP also got ahold of Green Party membership lists and have been contacting them emploring them to vote NDP. Tsk tsk, you don't use another parties membership list for any reason. How they got of hold of some ridings membership lists is a topic for further discussion.

In my own riding, the issue of campaign sign destruction is one that is irking me. Everyday I have 6-10 signs destroyed or simply knocked down. That happens to everyone, but when it is the Green, DRBC and Liberal signs destroyed and the NDP sign is still sitting there intact day after day after day we started asking questions. Clearly the Liberals are not destroying Green signs as they WANT a vote split and the same could be said of the DRBC.

Just this morning I found three signs completely gone - vanished and in their place are brand new NDP signs that were not there the day before. Hmmm.... gee coincidence?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
..........except for an extra $4.6billion in the Layton budget that wasn't there before. This at a time when there are supposed to be government cutbacks in services across the country.

That is taxpayers' money going to programs that the taxpayers have said, time and again, that they support, Blue.

That support likely has a lot to do with your leader saying that he will honour the deals that have been made. Is Harper agreeing to things that you hate or is he lying, Blue? You decide.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The NDP have actually been running a very covert dirty campaign against the Green Party. They are scaring people into voting NDP because of the vote-splitting issue.

You should go to Elections Canada and the press with that Roy. That kind of thing, especially the dirty tricks with signs that you mentioned, shouldn't be tolerated. I don't care who does it, that's the kind of thing that has dragged politics down to the depths it has reached.

Andygal

Electoral Member
May 13, 2005
BC
Ah, you’re proclaiming their innocence.....about time.

No actually. We are saying that Stephen Harper has been throwing a series of screaming temper tantrums over the past few weeks because the Liberals refused to give him his non-confidence vote immediately after he and his pals pulled that stupid useless "procedural motion" thingy to try and force them to resign. This AFTER they promsed him he could have his non-confidence vote on the budget on Thursday. They gave him what he wanted, a chance to bring the government down, and what did he do? Shut down the House 3 days in a row, preventing anything useful from getting done.

That, is childish.

Lets compare that to the NDP who have remained reasonable throughout all this, and have expressed an interest in making the minority government work for us, and have actually worked to get things done, most particularily getting the corperate tax cuts removed from the budget, an act, which I am sure, most Canadians heartily applaud. I know I do. They made the budget into something Canadians can support.

and it was an NDP MP, Ed Broadband, who, showing great class and honour, agreed to sit out the budget vote on Thursday to counter the fact that a Conservative MP who has cancer cannot be there.

Did the Conservatives do that when several Liberals were absent? No. The Conservatives have not done that for the past year. They have shown that they have zero classs and zero honour.

They are nothing but a pack of children, screaming for candy right now.