How will a Conservative government be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
What real changes will a Conservative government bring about that will fix Canada? I'll admit that the Liberals have been in power too long and they have become complacent and corrupt, but didn't this happen with the PC government lead by Brian Mulroney in the 1980's?

Didn't he have his own scandal with the Airbus thing? Wasn't there the scandal with the helicopters as well?

The only thing different Paul Martin did was not burying it. Credit must be given to him that he called the inquiry despite the damage it would to him and his party.

It is easy to boot out the liberals for this scandal, but then what? Does that necessarily preclude any future scandals by any other political party?

Corruption, lying and cheating will always be a part of politics; it is part of the politicians job description. If Canadians do go to the polls soon, they shouldn't focus on this issue. It would be unwise vote simply to exact revenge, one should vote according to policies and values (even though they are probably lies).

If the Conservatives really want to form the government, they should stop talking about the scandal and talk more about policy.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
What real changes will a Conservative government bring about that will fix Canada? I'll admit that the Liberals have been in power too long and they have become complacent and corrupt, but didn't this happen with the PC government lead by Brian Mulroney in the 1980's?

Of course all parties become complacent and corrupt. That doesn't mean we should turn a blind eye to these scandals. I don't care what colour the party is, we need frequent change - THROW THE BUMS OUT. :evil:

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
I wish an election would be about policy and national vision. Inevitably it turns into a mudslinging contest. This time around, we'll see the Conservatives rail (rightly so) about corruption and endless scandal and waste. On the other side we'll have Paul Martin using fearmongering and talking about "hidden agendas".

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
MMMike said:
I don't care what colour the party is, we need frequent change - THROW THE BUMS OUT. :evil:

Throw the bums out and replace them with new bums. Put in the right wing Conservatives to reverse all the stuff the left wing Liberals did and then in 10 years do the reverse. We Canadians are smart aren't we?

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
DasFX said:
MMMike said:
I don't care what colour the party is, we need frequent change - THROW THE BUMS OUT. :evil:

Throw the bums out and replace them with new bums. Put in the right wing Conservatives to reverse all the stuff the left wing Liberals did and then in 10 years do the reverse. We Canadians are smart aren't we?

The Liberals are not really that left wing. What would you do, keep the same party in power forever? Look in the past - when the party changes do they reverse everything? No. They campaigned against the G.S.T., and kept it when they got in power. Previously they were against free trade, only to embrace it later.

It will be more like a change in course rather than full reverse. And if the conservatives are elected, it is because the people want that change in course.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: How will a Conservati

There are no real policy differences between the Conservatives and the Liberals when it comes to economics or continung integration with the US, DasFX. That leaves them talking about hidden agendas (Martin has one too) and slinging mud.

There are some differences when it comes to social policy, but they aren't that far apart. Paul Martin backs SSM because of political expediency. Same with child care and similar programs. Same with health care (it was him who made the cuts that have damaged our system).

Both parties are corrupt. If the Conservatives were truly worried about corruption, they wouldn't trot Mulroney out every time they had a convention or went on the campaign trail.

What we need is a minority government that can be pressured into proportional representation, then an election immediately after a pr system is worked out so that it can be instituted.

That won't happen as long as the Conservatives and Liberals can help it because they are afraid of democracy.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
What we need is a minority government that can be pressured into proportional representation, then an election immediately after a pr system is worked out so that it can be instituted.

Ah, gee Rev.... who did you have in mind? :roll: :lol:

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
MMMike said:
The Liberals are not really that left wing. What would you do, keep the same party in power forever? Look in the past - when the party changes do they reverse everything? No. They campaigned against the G.S.T., and kept it when they got in power. Previously they were against free trade, only to embrace it later.

It will be more like a change in course rather than full reverse. And if the conservatives are elected, it is because the people want that change in course.

If the Conservatives are elected it will be about the scandal. The two parties are so different; I cannot see people switching the views so radically in so little time. Look at the polls, the Conservative rise in popularity is due to the scandal, not because people are suddenly embracing Conservative policies.

The Conservatives can't win on policy alone so they are going to promote revenge on the liberals.

All I hear from them is "Look at what the Liberals did.” never do I hear "This is what the Conservatives will do."

The Democrats in the US tried this strategy last election and look what it got them.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Ah, gee Rev.... who did you have in mind?

All of them, and maybe a couple of others too. That's what PR is all about. The real question is how come the Conservatives changed their tune regarding PR or DD? Could it be that they're greedy and corrupt and can't stand the idea of having to deal with only getting the seats that match their share of the popular vote?

If the Conservatives are elected it will be about the scandal. The two parties are so different; I cannot see people switching the views so radically in so little time. Look at the polls, the Conservative rise in popularity is due to the scandal, not because people are suddenly embracing Conservative policies.

The scandal is all they've got. Where there are differences in policy, Canadians like the Liberals better.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

I think its time we come up with a better way to elect politicians. I feel some sort of proportional representation (not like STV we are voting on here) is what is needed.

The Conservatives will set us back 50 years socially if they get in. It would be dire for Canada. I do not see any good ideas they have and I was just at their web site.

BigB

Apr 22, 2005
I think Paul Martin is desperate and looking to buy time. However living in Ontario I am not a fan of Stephen Harper. This guy does not have what it takes to be PM. First of all he would be George Bush's puppet. I believe that both these guys are too far right and are too dangerous for us traditional conservatives. I believe that we should wait to see what the inquiry says and go to the polls then. If people have do not have faith in the system then why bother having courts? When it is all said and done, I think Martin will destroy himself. Until then our country has to move forward on other more important issues. Talking about the scandal in caucus every day is a waste of time!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Have you checked out the Progressive Canadians and the Greens, BigB? If you're looking for a conservative alternative they might interest you.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

I can't think of one right wing government anywhere that actually cares about anything other than the:
~ almighty dollar
~prohibiting SSM
~making business buddies rich
~destroying environment to make more money
~treating non rich people like dirt

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: How will a Conservati

no1important said:
I can't think of one right wing government anywhere that actually cares about anything other than the:
~ almighty dollar
~prohibiting SSM
~making business buddies rich
~destroying environment to make more money
~treating non rich people like dirt

With the exception of SSM that sounds like every government I've ever heard of.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

It's the world-wide right-wing platform. Read the post Edge put up in the international section....it talks about the difference between where we were and where we are.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
The real basic difference between a true conservative and a true liberal is that the conservative believes in providing the individual with the means and opportunity to live their lives with the resulting personal accountability and responsibility, whereas the liberal believes that government can do better than the individual and will tell the individual how their lives should be led. As a result, should a conservative government be elected, there is the potential of having lower tax rates, less intrusiveness into every aspect of our lives, and letting the provinces have control over the things which were provincial responsibility in the constitution, such as health care and education. Now before anyone goes on the rant that the conservatives plan on a totally private health care agenda, I challenge anyone to accurately quote anyone who has proposed this. A fully private health care system has never been proposed, to my knowledge. There have been proposals for a mix of private and public, which is simply an extension of what we have now. There are vast areas in our health system which are private, such as eye doctors and examiners, dentists, physiotherapists, etc. I know for a fact that the doctors office I go to is privately owned by the doctors who practice out of it. Quite frankly, the SSM debate is simply a distraction, given that SS unions currently have the same rights and benefits as hetero marriages do, so the rights and equality argument is a non-starter. I for one, would love to see less government in my life, less tax off my paycheque, and more choice left up to me as to how to spend the money I earn and let us live our lives, within the laws of the country or region. I think the conservatives will give us this potential, and I know for a fact the liberals and NDP will not. That is basically the choice to make: more government with the liberals and NDP or less with the conservatives.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
What's wrong, rev, too deep for you? Or is your response just a typical left wing no response to legitimate viewpoints? How about this: Given the record of the lieberals, the conservatives cannot help but be a better government. No way they could be worse, that's a given. BTW, for all the US haters out there, if Martin got his wish to wait for the Gomery report, as opposed to just waiting until testimony was done, how do you all feel about having an American style eight to ten month long campaign? Given that you all despise anything American, that ought to drive you Bush haters the rest of the way around the bend!!

Status
Not open for further replies.