MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Senator hints at new hair-raising scandal

Jack Aubry
CanWest News Service

Thursday, April 21, 2005

OTTAWA - Saying he recently heard about another scandal that made the hair on his head stand on end, Liberal Senator Jean Lapointe predicted it will take "a miracle" for the Liberals to cling to power in the upcoming election.

Sen. Lapointe, who was appointed by former prime minister Jean Chretien, said in a recent interview he could not divulge details about the new scandal since he had heard about it at a closed-door Liberal caucus meeting, details of which members of Parliament are not supposed to divulge.

"Mr. Martin said we will have a commission -- we had the Gomery commission. We investigate and those who did wrong should be punished. Where [Martin] went wrong is that he is the one who is getting punished," he said. "People don't have any more credibility, whether they are a deputy minister, a minister or MP."

Sen. Lapointe made the statements in an interview with CPAC, scheduled to be broadcast today.

A well-known actor in Quebec, he said he believed the Liberal scandal was a case of "a bad being performed for a good" but he would not have done it himself.

"The drama of this thing is damaging the entire party. I know people who have integrity and who are honest but it is affecting all the politicians. You know the Liberals aren't finished. Gomery will finish and there are little scandals in the opposition, there are scandals left and right, which will come out," Sen. Lapointe said.

"I heard one yesterday, the hair on my head stood straight up. I can't tell you because it was at caucus. You know there is no one who is white, and there is no one who is completely black."

Attempts to clarify the senator's comments were fruitless. An aide who answered his office phone could not say if the scandal the senator cited involved the Liberals or the opposition.

Sen. Lapointe was promoting his private member's bill, which would place restrictions on poker video machines, during the interview when the Gomery commission was raised.

© National Post 2005

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Another Liberal Scand

Beware the spin CanWest and the National Post put on things, MMMike. I do wonder if that has anything to do with Martin's speech tonight, though.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
They are quoting a Liberal senator. The spin is not from the national post. I don't expect much from his address - only 6 minutes!!?? Maybe he'll call an election, or resign. Front page of the Post this morning (with tounge firmly in cheek) suggested that he take a page out of W's book and declare war on somebody to divert attention. They suggested targetting Denmark over the Hans Island dispute. Good to see someone still has a sense of humour!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Re: RE: Another Liberal Scandal?

MMMike said:
They are quoting a Liberal senator. The spin is not from the national post. I don't expect much from his address - only 6 minutes!!?? Maybe he'll call an election, or resign. Front page of the Post this morning (with tounge firmly in cheek) suggested that he take a page out of W's book and declare war on somebody to divert attention. They suggested targetting Denmark over the Hans Island dispute. Good to see someone still has a sense of humour!

I doubt he's doing either: calling an election or resigning. It's reported by CTV and the CBC (the two networks I watch) that it's not going to be much along those lines.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

There are three things that the Liberals have said he won't do...resign, call an election, or shut down parliament.

The quotes form the Liberal Senator may not mean a heck of a lot depending on context and who the Senator is backing in the Chretien/Martin war.

On the bizarre rumour side...and I don't believe a word of this so don't jump on me....I heard that he was going to announce an investigation into criminal acts by senior Liberal, Conservative and BQ MPs and that there will be arrests by tomorrow night.

That's the kind of thing that starts flying around at times like this. Everybody expects the Liberals to start their own scandal mongering as part of an election offensive, then everybody starts making guesses and weird e-mails start flying around.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Personally, I'm going with the declaration of war thing. Nothing makes a country come together like a good war!

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
i kinda like the idea of the invasion.....i don't think he will be resigning that's for sure, and i doubt he will say anything of much substance, that's the man.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Personally, I'm going with the declaration of war thing. Nothing makes a country come together like a good war!

:lol: How about Finland?
Greenland looks much better on our map than theirs. We already have 60% of it surrounded.

And when water becomes more scarce than oil, we'll have lots of ice to sit on.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: Another Liberal Scand

Reverend Blair said:
Hey, Mulroney had ministers in his cabinet serving weekends. It can happen.

..........and for a lot less than what the lieberals have done. I recall the lieberals demanding, and getting, the resignation of a conservative minister for simply attending a strip club, in Germany if memory serves me correctly. Just goes to show how things have changed and how much more we as a country seem to be prepared to put with.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

The Mulroney government was also involved in an advertising scandal in Quebec. Guess who else was involved? Chuck Guite.

The worst thing about all of these scandals is that nothing will be done and the next government will be just as corrupt. We need to change the system.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Ah, a little trip down memory lane. If you ever get a chance, pick up a book called On the Take. It's about the criminality of the Mulroney years. I'm sure there will be a similar one about the Chretien years out shortly. I'm also sure that you'll see many of the same names in both books.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
A link posted earlier on Andrew Coyne's website but quickly yanked alleged a connection between the Oil for Food kickbacks, Maurice Strong, and Canada Steamships - Paul Martin's company. This could be the sh!tstorm coming that the Liberal senator was hinting at? Rumours, I know, but still fun!

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Found this link:

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2005/cover042205a.htm

Snip
Yesterday, Strong admitted that Tongsun Park, the Korean man accused by U.S. federal authorities of illegally acting as an Iraqi agent, invested in Cordex, the company he owned with his son, in 1997.

In that admission, Strong describes Cordex as a Denver-based company. Cordex Petroleum Inc. is listed among Martin’s assets as an Alberta-based company.

On national television last night, Prime Minister Paul Martin appealed for time in a six-minute address to the Canadian public, promising an election after the final Gomery report probing the mega-million dollar Liberal Party Adscam scandal.

Martin’s public address to Canadians coincided with the very day that his long-time mentor Maurice Strong was tied to the $65-billion UN oil-for-food scandal.

Was Martin using the Adscam scandal as a distraction in a Maurice Strong Cordex oil-for-food scandal that would inevitably lead back to him?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Lots of people have invested in a lot of things...it isn't exactly a smoking gun. Unless Martin and Strong can be tied to kick-backs from Saddam, there isn't one.