Layton Intent on Working With Harper

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Layton Intent on Work

Well it wont be that easy. It also depends if the NDP get the balance of power like they had in 1979.

Hopefully if the next election spawns another miniority the NDP have the balance of power reguardless of who wins. Although I think the Liberals would be a lot easier to work with. The conservatives have a lot of draconian policies and nut cases that may make the NDP working with them dificult.

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
The conservatives have a lot of draconian policies and nut cases that may make the NDP working with them dificult.

I'm sure the feeling is the same on the other side. Many people look at the NDP and shake their heads as to how they can possibly be around in this day and age.

Maybe that's why the NDP has always been a non factor in federal elections.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
On the Tory about-face in support of the Kyoto accord: "It's part of the 'Let's not have the Conservatives be as far out of the mainstream as they have traditionally been."'

Harper backed away from one of his most unpopular policies. Kyoto, the environment in general, is a pet project of the NDP. It is very unlikely that the Conservatives will win enough seats to do anything without the the support of the NDP and the BQ anyway.

SSM will probably be through the house before a writ is dropped and the legal decisions will force Harper to use Notwithstanding anyway, which is unlikely to survive a vote.

Like I said before...Harper will have more power and influence as leader of the official opposition in a Liberal minority than as Prime Minister in a Conservative minority.

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
Like I said before...Harper will have more power and influence as leader of the official opposition in a Liberal minority than as Prime Minister in a Conservative minority.

Wishful thinking at best.

Having said that, it's a Conservative majority that Harper is after.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Layton Intent on Work

It's not wishful thinking at all. The core policies that he wants in place are at odds with the three other parties. He isn't likely to be able to cobble together much support.

He's already started backing away from his cancel Kyoto stance. He'll never get a Notwithstanding motion to quash SSM passed in the house. He'll get no support on BMD. They'll pound the hell out of him every day on getting too cozy with the US.

He cannot do like Martin and ignore the House of Commons because he'll look like a class A hypocrit. He'll be crippled and his core supporters will cannabalize him.

He doesn't have the numbers for a majority, Crit.