Liberals dropping further in polls. Taking the NDP with them

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
I guess Canadians are painting the NDP with the same "left" brush as the Liberals. I can't think of any other reason why the NDP is losing so much support across the entire country. Other than their views of course.

SNIP-------
The latest poll by Ipsos-Reid, conducted for CTV and The Globe and Mail, shows dramatically different numbers from a similar poll released Monday. This indicates Canadian public opinion on federal politics is highly volatile and could change again in the coming days. But one trend continues -- the Liberal numbers are dropping.

The poll shows the Conservatives ahead in most parts of the country, including B.C., Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario.

As well, the Conservatives are essentially tied with the Liberals in Atlantic Canada.

Quebec, meanwhile, remains a stronghold for the Bloc Quebecois.

In last June's federal election, which produced a minority Liberal government, the Liberals took 36.7 per cent of the popular vote, the Conservatives 29.6, the Bloc 12.4, the NDP 15.7, and other parties or candidates took 5.6 of the vote.

In this new poll, conducted between April 10-12, the Tories are up by six points from the last Ipsos-Reid survey conducted released Monday.

The Liberals under Paul Martin, meanwhile, have seen no difference in their political fortunes. They remain at 27 per cent support.

The New Democrats, led by Jack Layton, have lost support, Ipsos-Reid finds. The NDP's support is now pegged at 15 per cent, which is a drop of four points from the last survey.

The Green Party is seeing its support unchanged on a national level at seven per cent

In Quebec, the Bloc Quebecois is sitting at 41 per cent support.

"At a minimum these numbers mean if an election were held tomorrow we could quite clearly have a Tory minority government," says Ipsos-Reid President Darrell Bricker. "If the Liberals fall further then I think we are talking about a Tory majority."

Taking a closer look at the numbers from West to East, Harper's Conservatives would appear to be on a roll towards winning in many places.

In British Columbia, the Conservative Party is up 10 points to 42 per cent of decided voters.

The Liberals and NDP are tied for second place. Both parties lost support, but for the Liberals it was only a slight drop of one point.

The NDP, meanwhile, went down 11 per cent. The Green Party is up four points to 11 per cent of decided votes.

Heading east, Alberta, remains a consistent stronghold for the Conservatives, who have a commanding lead in voter support. Ipsos-Reid's poll found the Conservatives are actually up 11 points, sitting at a whopping 65 per cent support.

Their nearest competitor, the NDP, is no less than 51 points behind at 14 per cent. But that party, too, has seen its numbers go up by three points in the province.

Third place in Alberta right now would be a tie between the Green Party, and the Liberals both at nine per cent. The Liberals have dropped by 12 points, while the Greens have gone up by three.

In Saskatchewan and Manitoba, the Conservatives also have a commanding lead, at 44 per cent. Here, too, the Tories have seen their support go up, by 13 per cent.

The Liberals, meanwhile are at 25 (a drop of five points), the NDP at 15 (a drop of eight) and the Green Party at three per cent (down one).

In vote-rich Ontario, meanwhile, the Conservatives have made considerable inroads, hitting 39 per cent in support (+7), while the Liberals have dropped one point to 33 per cent.

The NDP in Ontario is down two points to 17 per cent, while the Greens are down four points to six per cent.

In Quebec, meanwhile, the Bloc's hammerlock on voter support holds strong at 41 per cent, although Ipsos-Reid notes that is a drop of seven points.

The Liberals are a distant second at 25, but have seen their fortunes go up by seven points, and the Conservatives are at 16 (+3). The NDP are at eight per cent -- a drop of four points, and the Green Party's support is unchanged at six per cent.

And, in Atlantic Canada, Ipsos-Reid's new numbers suggest the Liberals and Conservatives are tied.

The Liberals are at 36 per cent, a drop of three points, and the Conservatives are right behind at 35 per cent, a drop of two points.

The NDP, meanwhile, are down four points to 15 per cent, and the Greens have seen their fortunes rise by four points to six per cent.
SNIP-----------

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Re: Liberals dropping further in polls. Taking the NDP with

Hey Crit I did that poll I'm on their panel I lied my ass off like I always do don''t pin your hopes on polls there like fools gold :wink:

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Liberals dropping fur

That IPSO Reid poll you mention also says Bloc are down 2% and according to Compass for National Post says Tories are at 34%, Liberals at 30 and NDP at 18%

Polls mean dick. The federal libs are always down between elections here in BC and yet always seem to keep their seats or gain. So It would be safe to say Polls mean nothing. It depends on who you just happen to call, Rurual areas seem to go right and cities here where most seats are usually go NDP or Liberal.

If one looks hard enough you can always find a poll that backs a particular view.

Harper being what 65% in Alberta means squat, when you have almost all seats being 45 or 60% in one province that is already tory blue does not help, it wont translate into new seats(none to gain). Maybe one, being Kilgours riding.

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario

So it's true.

Denial is NOT just a river in Egypt.

I hope the rest of your party faithful feel the same way as you do. That way, it will be even sweeter the day after the election when you wake up and wonder what the heck happened.

The Gomery inquiry is just getting warmed up. Wait until Gagliano's buddies take the stand. The Liberals will wish these polls were accurate.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Liberals dropping fur

You've started multiple thread based on one poll, Crit and Dukee. That's very close to being spam. There is already a thread called "polls". Use it.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec

crit13 said:
The Gomery inquiry is just getting warmed up. Wait until Gagliano's buddies take the stand. The Liberals will wish these polls were accurate.

I think most Canadians don't even come close to understand the implications of the Gomery Inquiry. The outcome of this, will have a huge effect on the outcome on the next referendum.

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario

You've started multiple thread based on one poll, Crit and Dukee. That's very close to being spam. There is already a thread called "polls". Use it.

First off all, this a new poll that came out yesterday. Secondly, there's a whole article attached to this thread. Read it. I couldn't care less about the "Poll" thread you started. It's not all about you Rev.

If you wish to not participate in this thread, I won't be heartbroken. I promise.

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario

I think most Canadians don't even come close to understand the implications of the Gomery Inquiry. The outcome of this, will have a huge effect on the outcome on the next referendum.

Many people, including people on this site believe that they can ignore this firestorm and it will eventually get swept under the rug or just disappear. They are in denial if they think that this is just another typical Liberal scandal.

This is giving the seperatists fuel to seperate from Canada. They are fed up with the Liberals. It's about time the rest of Canada woke up also. Although numbers are showing that we are finally waking up from 15 years of stupified slumber.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

See, I was going to leave this thread open and let you post about polls in the thread for it while continuing the conversation here. You got all snarky though, Crit. Now this thread is locked.