Is Canada Next Place For This Scheme?

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
WELCOME TO THE POLICE STATES OF AMERIKA:

TEXAS HOUSE BILL 2893 – REQUIRES AN RFID CHIP IN YOUR INSPECTION STICKER

THIS IS FOR ALL CARS (SOON TO BE USED ALL OVER Usa) FOR YOUR CONTROL (er Safty)

Sec. 601.507. SPECIAL INSPECTION CERTIFICATES. (a)
Commencing not later than January 1, 2006, the department shall
issue or contract for the issuance of special inspection
certificates to be affixed to motor vehicles that are inspected and
found to be in proper and safe condition under Chapter 548.

(b) An inspection certificate under this section must
contain a tamper-resistant transponder, and at a minimum, be
capable of storing:

(1) the transponder's unique identification number;
and

(2) the make, model, and vehicle identification number
of the vehicle to which the certificate is affixed.

(c) In addition, the transponder must be compatible with:

(1) the automated vehicle registration and
certificate of title system established by the Texas Department of
Transportation; and

(2) interoperability standards established by the
Texas Department of Transportation and other entities for use of
the system of toll roads and toll facilities in this state.

Do you think this will happen here? 8O

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Is Canada Next Place

We don't have a lot of toll roads and many of our provinces haven't got a regular inspection process, so it likely won't happen any time soon.

It will happen eventually though. They'll just need a different way of justifying it.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
i thought we use to have that here in bc, where you had to go and have your car tested and checked over once every year or so....is it the same idea?

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
This is a track and trace scheme and tolling existing highways.92% of people polled in Texas are against it but the politicians are going ahead anyway.The average bill for a family of 4 will be 1800 dollars a year

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Re: RE: Is Canada Next Place For This Scheme?

mrmom2 said:
This is a track and trace scheme and tolling existing highways.92% of people polled in Texas are against it but the politicians are going ahead anyway.The average bill for a family of 4 will be 1800 dollars a year

Wow. Talk about a dictatorship............

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

They won't call it a tax though. Instead they will call it a user fee. It will keep poor people from being able to get around, but it won't hurt the rich much at all.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Re: RE: Is Canada Next Place

Reverend Blair said:
The same basic idea. I believe yours was for a smog check, where the Texas one is for a safety check.

Many years ago, it was a full safety check, Rev - but only in the Greater Vancouver area. When I was just started out and working in a service station, I quickly became very good at aiming headlights. The Inspection Station must have failed 1/4 of the cars, for headlights. So you had to get them adjusted and pay for another test.

Total bullshit....

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Is Canada Next Place

Reverend Blair said:
They won't call it a tax though. Instead they will call it a user fee. It will keep poor people from being able to get around, but it won't hurt the rich much at all.

No doubt.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I quickly became very good at aiming headlights.

When my parents lived here, they failed my step-mother's Challenger because the headlights weren't bright enough on the dim setting. They never noticed that the front end was shot to the point of being dangerous. I figured that out when I drove it in to get okayed after replacing the perfectly good headlights. Bizarre.

I'm hanging on to the big green truck because they've tightened the safety restrictions here so much that I could never replace it for less than $10,000 and even then would need to do some work. It needs a motor, but I'm immune to safties because I already own it. If I ever need a truck that can haul a lot of weight it will be worth putting a motor in. Again, bizarre.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

That would be valid, Dukee. So would safety inspections that realistically looked at safety. The safety inspections are driven by the auto dealers though, not valid safety concerns, and emission tests are likely to be the same.

Fortunately we have an NDP government here right now.

dukee

Nominee Member
Nov 25, 2004
Saskatoon, SK
As too would emmissions inpections be a $$$ bonanza for the auto deals. It would also be a disaster for lower income earners.

An easy way to reduce automobile emmissions would be require everyone to simply drive new cars. The worst polluters of automobile emmissions are older vehicles that lack the newer emmission reduction technologies to limit pollutants from being released. The old jalopies of the road produce the lions share of auto pollutants as they burp out blue smoke.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Actually that isn't true, Dukee. You might be thinking of your own nocturnal emissions or something, but the numbers show that the lion's share of greenhouse emissions come from cars less than ten years old.

Poor people also tend to buy used cars, so if you start building cleaner cars today the beaters of the future will be cleaner too. It's looking for excuses not to start that is the problem.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I read an article that said there going to put cameras in all the new cars by 2008 .The truckers are supposed to get them first .They will be programed to watch your face for signs of fatigue and stress .If you start to fall asleep the computer will tell you to wake up.If it keeps happening the computer will automaticly call the police This is not a stretch Gm has said every car they sell by 2006 will have onstar in it

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I hope they aren't checking the passenger seats for signs of beer drinking. Is there an "in the field" shut off in pick-up trucks?

I'm going to be keeping my old vehicles for a very ling time. When I replace them privacy will be very high on my list.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
My wife answerd aphone poll last night and you won't believe the questions they asked.They asked her if she was willing to have the black box in the car checked regularly by the insurabce company and if she didn't speed they would lower her premiums.They asked her if she was willing to be tolled to drive around town .It went on and on with same kind of stuff.This stuff is coming whether we like it or not .Big insurance is pushing hard it s only a matter of time