Royal Canadian Cadets

Wolfgang336

Mar 2, 2005
Just curious to see what the groups opinion is on the Cadet movement in Canada. I'm a member, so no unreasonably disgruntled replies please... :wink:

Wolf

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I had a friend who was in cadets. He seemed to like it. Later he joined the army. He didn't like that. Now he operates a crane. He hates that, but he compensates by drinking a lot, so it's okay. I think he wishes he was back in cadets.

lena

Electoral Member
Feb 20, 2005
ab
Wolf....you are wonderful....for what has happened lately your a truelly CANADIAN. Its in your heart and in your will you know what is right. No one is even going to question that for inlight of what just happened...You know what is right..I respect and admire your choice no matter what...its all about you.

tibear

Electoral Member
Jan 25, 2005
My niece is in cadets and absolutely loves it. We can't schedule anything on Friday evenings because we know that she is "not available".

She's got to travel the country through cadets and is now old enough that next summer she will start to be paid during some of the camps.

whicker

Electoral Member
Feb 20, 2005
Ontario
Wolfgang336 said:
Just curious to see what the groups opinion is on the Cadet movement in Canada. I'm a member, so no unreasonably disgruntled replies please... :wink:

Wolf

You talking air, land or sea? I used to be sup o for an air sqn. From this point of view I was terribly disappointed in the cadet movement in general as imo it isn't set up for cadets (air at least) but for the pilot jocks - who defenitely don't deserve the chance they are getting. Huge waste of money that could be better spent on other programs. Ever go to summer camp and where?

whicker

Electoral Member
Feb 20, 2005
Ontario
Re: RE: Royal Canadian Cadets

tibear said:
My niece is in cadets and absolutely loves it. We can't schedule anything on Friday evenings because we know that she is "not available".

She's got to travel the country through cadets and is now old enough that next summer she will start to be paid during some of the camps.

She must be going staff. Where bouts?

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
wolf - both my now-grown sons were in Cadets for years - I think its a terrific organization. Both started in Navy League - one went to to be a CPO in Sea Cadets, and the other a Flight Sgt in Air. He got his private pilot's license and a summer trip to the mid-western States, all on the DND tab.

Both are well-adjusted guys, never in trouble and have good careers. Sure, I like to think we were the main influence in that, but Cadets didn't hurt, either.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
My cousin was in Cadets then joined the reseves and now he is in military fulltime. He is getting a heavy duty mechanic apprenticeship. His superiors want him to go and be a "missle tech" (whatever that is) but he started cadets when he was 13 or 14 and it was good for him. Lots of travelling, shooting guns and all the other fun stuff. I often wonder if I should of joined cadets when i was a teen....I think cadets is a good thing.

Wolfgang336

Mar 2, 2005
I'm a F/Sgt in the air element. As for the pilot jocks... I'm not one of them, but I have a few friends who are. Personally I find them hilarious, but I know other people who share Whicker's view.

I really think some things in Cadets need to change though. We all joined Cadets to be a part of something militaristic, but it's been going waay downhill from what it was originally, going towards the Boy Scouts (ugh). We used to engage in War Games on exercises. Then it became "Tactical Manoeuvers", and now we're not supposed to do them at all. We used to be able to carry sabres. That got stopped. Our colour party Commander used to carry a side-arm... needless to say that doesn't happen anymore. CHAPS came into affect, effectively ending any form of physical discipline.

Now I get to deal with a bunch of snot nosed 12 yr/olds who don't know the meaning of discipline, and I can't teach it to them! Frankly, we just plain need a closer affiliation with DND, one that doesn't involve having parents sue them over stupid things like "Jimmy broke his arm on one of your exercies...". Maybe a waiver that they need to sign....

[end of rant]

Wolf

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
I forgot to mention - both my sons, in their time, were selected to stand Guard at the Cenotaph on a Remembrance Day Service. You know how that goes; head bowed, hands inverted atop their inverted rifle.

I have pictures of each event, and have rarely been prouder on them.