Gasoline Prices

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
This is what it cost for a litre of gasoline where I live. We had this discussion at starbucks today. Now the way it was explained to me was this was happening because of the weak US dollar. Oil is expected to go to $80.00 a barrel within the next two years, some predict a $100.00 a barrel. What was also pointed out to me was the american amount of debt. I don't follow money matters much, so it has to be explained to me. Also someone pointed out that if OPEC decides to go with the euro, americans will be in big trouble. Although someone pointed out that they could not see that happening because saudi arabia is in bush's pocket. Right now I am glad I have a car that is el cheapo on gas. This is the price of gas in Victoria right now.

Highest Regular Gas Prices in the Last 72 Hours
5th Ave & Tabor Blvd
92.9 Co-op Sidney Tue
8:49 PM Hogdog

Bevan
92.9 Shell Sidney Tue

Reshaven
92.9 Esso Victoria Tue

2953 Jacklin
92.9 Shell Victoria Tue
8:48 PM Hogdog

5486 Pat Bay Hwy
92.9 Chevron Victoria Tue
8:41 PM Hogdog

Brentwood 7080 West Saanich Rd.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
It isn't just the weak US dollar, but that's a part of it. There is also some question about whether subsidies from governments will remain in place; what will happen in South America (Uruguay signed an oil agreement with Venezuela on Monday); continued instability in the Middle East; China's growing thirst for energy; American, Russian, and Chinese influence in Central Asia; and a plethora of other things.

Likely the biggest single thing is how much oil is actually left. Those in the oil industry will tell you that there's plenty, but what they won't tell you is that it's increasingly hard to get at and expensive to produce. Much of it already takes more energy to get out of the ground than it gives back. We burn cleaner energy sources to produce the dirty ones. It's bizarre and stupid, but we do it.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Don't forget 40% of the price of gas is taxes.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I thought they were already doing that with some of that money?

They also have the gas gusler tax on trucks etc.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The amout they do that with does not come anywhere close to the damage being done to the environment, never mind the adverse affects on health. Direct subsidies to the coal and oil industries were 1.2 billion last year. Indirect subsidies through infrastruture, environmental programs, health costs, etc. run about ten times that every year. The accumulated cost is huge.

An additional 10% gas tax would barely begin to address that.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
One thing that I think should be found is an alternative. Half of the worlds problems would go away if oil was made obsolete.

I am sure we can agree on that.

Raise taxes? Don't you Canadians pay enough in taxes?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
It's called paying our own way, Eaglesmack. See, burning gasoline causes harm. It costs money to address that harm. The present low gasoline prices are a hidden subsidy to the industry...nothing more, nothing less. Raising taxes is just getting rid of that subsidy.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Gasoline Prices

Reverend Blair said:
Direct subsidies to the coal and oil industries were 1.2 billion last year. Indirect subsidies through infrastruture, environmental programs, health costs, etc. run about ten times that every year. The accumulated cost is huge.

So lets cut the corporate welfare out of the game.

We don't need to pay civil servants to direct money.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
If the government is subsidizing (hidden or not) them, launch a suit against the government.

no?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Reverend Blair said:
It's called paying our own way, Eaglesmack. See, burning gasoline causes harm. It costs money to address that harm. The present low gasoline prices are a hidden subsidy to the industry...nothing more, nothing less. Raising taxes is just getting rid of that subsidy.

So Canada is not over taxed? You think you should be taxed more?

Hey it's your money.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Thats right it is our money....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm wonder when we will get back that money you are trying to steal from us in the softwood lumber dispute....Where I come from its called stealing!!!!!

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Reverend Blair said:
Why the government, it's the oil companies causing the damage. Shouldn't the government, as our elected representatives, launch the suit?

Well, I dunno. I'm not the expert on these matters, but if our wonderful governments are subsidizing these damaging companies, why should they be immune from law suits?

If only the free market was allowed to play things out in Canada.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
peapod said:
Thats right it is our money....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm wonder when we will get back that money you are trying to steal from us in the softwood lumber dispute....Where I come from its called stealing!!!!!

And some on the other side see it as dumping; that is stealing too.

no?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
peapod said:

We are talking about taxation in Canada.

Perhaps you should censor and insult yourself.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

EagleSmack said:
So Canada is not over taxed? You think you should be taxed more?

Hey it's your money.

In Canada we don't work for ourselves, we work for the government and they allow us to keep a little of it.

I think our current PM calls it tax fairness.