Do you trust Canadian mass media

tibear

Electoral Member
Jan 25, 2005
Absolutely not.

They all have biases that come through loud and clear during their reporting.

bogie

Electoral Member
Jun 21, 2002
Barrie, ON Canada
maltesefalcon.bogart.com
Loaded question! Is any medium trustworthy 100%?

On the whole, I would say yes. There are some "controlled by back pocket" sectors, but what else is new?

I would say that they are more trustworthy than their US counter-parts. But, do you believe everything you read or see via this "mass media"? Many stories, that turn out to be incorrect, were not published to purposely deceive, or mislead, but more to be the "1st out of the gate" with what looks to be great news. Research is lacking many times, and this is how so many rumours start that the companies, or governments, involved can't even figure how the story evolved about them!

If you judged life in the U.S. by watching COPS and AMERICA'S MOST WANTED, you wouldn't want to step across the border, for fear of your life. Same with the newspapers and TV "news" programs. "Good" news is really "bad" news. Violent death attracts readers/viewers, disasters attracts readers/viewers - and making it all look worse than it really is keeps them glued to that particular medium for more.

Do you watch news to see the local business have a ribbon-cutting by the mayor? Or a new small business starting and hiring 6 full-time people?

When we had our advertising business, in Orillia, we won 3 top nationally recognized awards for excellence in our field of business (in fact we won awards annually for 4 years in a row). We had to pay the newpaper to publish it, each year, and state that it was an ad.

I laugh at coverage of political speeches and anti-anything groups. I've been at afew and the press quite often herds the few people that attend into a small area so that it looks like a big attendance - or take key-angle shots to make 20 people look like 200 or more. Is that "trustworthy", or just a bit "misleading" and twising/manipulation of the truth?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Is the Canadian mass media trustworthy

Parts of it, depending on the subject. Other parts of it, like the Can-West/Global empire of the Aspers has become so blatantly politicized that every story must be filtered with their political bias in mind.

We would do very well to place strict limits on ownership at this point, and to offer support to small press outlets that present a vision of Canada outside of that promoted by the corporatists.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Do I trust the news I see and read? Of course not.Even the CBC has a bias in it's reporting,but it is preferable to the infotainment so common on the other outlets.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: Do you trust Canadian

Trustworthy? No. Reporters no longer report the facts. They report a perception and/or opinion.

But if someone were to accept only 1 or 2 newsources and think "this is the world" well then..........natural selection comes into play.....mahahahahahah

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Do you trust Canadian

In a lot of cases it isn't the reporters, Twila. It's the publishers and the owners. They put pressure on the editors and suddenly the story changes. I know one guy (working for the Can-West empire, oddly enough) that has asked that his byline be removed from articles because they had been changed so much and had become so biased.

A lot of stories just don't reported, others are changed. Op-ed no longer even pretend to be balanced and the line between op-ed pieces and hard news blurs. Everything is spun so hard that even straight crime or disaster stories take on political overtones.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Reverend Blair said:
Parts of it, depending on the subject. Other parts of it, like the Can-West/Global empire of the Aspers has become so blatantly politicized that every story must be filtered with their political bias in mind.

We couldn't say that about the CBC though...that would be blasphemy and heresy.

Reverend Blair said:
We would do very well to place strict limits on ownership at this point, and to offer support to small press outlets that present a vision of Canada outside of that promoted by the corporatists.

So you want to place limits on when I can buy or present media in this nation (meaning I'm not allowed to expand my print business for this political reason or that), thereby placing restrictions on freedom of expression and the usual gambit of rights, give money (support) to my competition and still have the CBC for me to compete against? What else do you want to do, cancel elections?

As long as we have the CBC in its current situation, the media market is slanted. We need a level playing field.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
So you want to place limits on when I can buy or present media in this nation (meaning I'm not allowed to expand my print business for this political reason or that), thereby placing restrictions on freedom of expression and the usual gambit of rights, give money (support) to my competition and still have the CBC for me to compete against? What else do you want to do, cancel elections?

No, that is one of the purposeful misunderstandings being promoted by those who would try to gain influence for their political positions through controlling all of the press.

The restrictions being suggested are not designed to keep a press outlet of an area. They are designed to keep a single owner from controlling all of the press in an area. In some places CanWest owns both of the newspapers and one or two television stations. They also own radio stations.

That is clearly control of the press in such an area.

You once again seem not to have a full understanding of the facts of the issue, Jay.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Jay said:
Reverend Blair said:

We couldn't say that about the CBC though...that would be blasphemy and heresy.

Reverend Blair said:

As long as we have the CBC in its current situation, the media market is slanted. We need a level playing field.

Pretty much. The Rev does not like opposing views and people who speak out against what he is saying. His way is the only way.

If censorship is what is needed to promote his agenda and oppress the views of others... So be it.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
It isn't censorship though, Smackhead. There would be nothing prohibiting somebody from owning a press outlet in an area, just prohibiting them from having a monopoly. :roll:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
hehehehehehhe....another reason why these people will never run this country...unless they rid themselves of these neo conservatives. Completely out of touch with the majority of canadians that LOVE the CBC...

Oh this is so much fun...the more these guys put there ideas out there, the more people see how they think...hehehehhehehe I love it....Keep it coming boys....you only ensure another liberal win. :canada:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
censorhip... plain and simple. That is what you propose.

Perhaps media outlets should fund competition? Let's force them to do that... good idea Rev?

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
You know when they do it on purpose it really pisses you off.

Rev you have nerves of steel!!!!! day in and day out you take this crap from these people....you are always just plodding along with the truth. You deserve a medal.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Re: RE: Do you trust Canadian mass media

bogie said:
I laugh at coverage of political speeches and anti-anything groups. I've been at afew and the press quite often herds the few people that attend into a small area so that it looks like a big attendance - or take key-angle shots to make 20 people look like 200 or more. Is that "trustworthy", or just a bit "misleading" and twising/manipulation of the truth?

Kind of like this...

...or this...

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Which makes it all the more outrageous rev. These people are sending us all into hell right here on earth...I don't believe in the other one. :wink: