Louis Robichaud

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I was out last night with a friend that is orginally from New brunswick. He told me all about louis Robichaud, who passed away last week. I must confess I really did not know anything about him. I am amazed at the things he accomplished. There are a few people here on the board from new brunswick, so I would like to hear their thoughts on Robichaud. Amazing how much legislation he pushed through in such a short of amount of time.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I was out last night with a friend that is orginally from New brunswick. He told me all about louis Robichaud, who passed away last week. I must confess I really did not know anything about him. I am amazed at the things he accomplished. There are a few people here on the board from new brunswick, so I would like to hear their thoughts on Robichaud. Amazing how much legislation he pushed through in such a short of amount of time.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I hate to say anything good about any politician. But,in this case,I'll try. He did do a lot of good things for the average person here[most of which has been done away with by succeeding Premiers],so his greatest legacy would be the bilingualism & the effects of that.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I hate to say anything good about any politician. But,in this case,I'll try. He did do a lot of good things for the average person here[most of which has been done away with by succeeding Premiers],so his greatest legacy would be the bilingualism & the effects of that.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
This is a cut and paste of a story at the cbc.

Robichaud swept into power at age 34, leading the Liberal Party to victory in 1960. The first Acadian elected premier in the province, he served for 10 years.

Known as "Little Louis" because of his short height, Robichaud united the numerous education, taxation, health-care and social welfare systems in the province under the Program for Equal Opportunity.

His government also revised liquor laws, created collective bargaining rights for the civil service, established a department of youth, appointed a provincial ombudsman, adopted a non-premium medicare system, and revitalized the province's natural resources sector, particularly mines and forests.

He also created the Université de Moncton, and passed the Official Languages Act, making New Brunswick the only officially bilingual province in the country.

Robichaud said he never understood the opposition to his policies, including a campaign by the richest man in the province, industrialist K. C. Irving.

"I wanted equality and some people wanted to keep the old traditions where the poor got poorer and the rich got richer," Robichaud once said.

After a decade in power, Robichaud's government was defeated in the 1970 election by the Richard Hatfield-led Progressive Conservatives in a campaign largely funded by the Irving family fortune.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

Robichaud swept into power at age 34, leading the Liberal Party to victory in 1960. The first Acadian elected premier in the province, he served for 10 years.

Known as "Little Louis" because of his short height, Robichaud united the numerous education, taxation, health-care and social welfare systems in the province under the Program for Equal Opportunity.

His government also revised liquor laws, created collective bargaining rights for the civil service, established a department of youth, appointed a provincial ombudsman, adopted a non-premium medicare system, and revitalized the province's natural resources sector, particularly mines and forests.

He also created the Université de Moncton, and passed the Official Languages Act, making New Brunswick the only officially bilingual province in the country.

Robichaud said he never understood the opposition to his policies, including a campaign by the richest man in the province, industrialist K. C. Irving.

"I wanted equality and some people wanted to keep the old traditions where the poor got poorer and the rich got richer," Robichaud once said.

After a decade in power, Robichaud's government was defeated in the 1970 election by the Richard Hatfield-led Progressive Conservatives in a campaign largely funded by the Irving family fortune.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal
"Ti-Louis" was indeed one of the greatest if not the greatest politician from New Brunswick.
He was the first "Acadien" Prime Minister and his views and policies greatly influenced the Prime Minister of Quebec at the time (Jean Lesage). They were school bodies.
Ti-Louis was probably the best orator I ever heard. Fidel Castro probably took lessons from him.

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal
"Ti-Louis" was indeed one of the greatest if not the greatest politician from New Brunswick.
He was the first "Acadien" Prime Minister and his views and policies greatly influenced the Prime Minister of Quebec at the time (Jean Lesage). They were school bodies.
Ti-Louis was probably the best orator I ever heard. Fidel Castro probably took lessons from him.

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Wrong! Robichaud was only our Premier..never a Prime minister. And the comparison to Castro is hardly a compliment,tho I doubt you meant it as one.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Wrong! Robichaud was only our Premier..never a Prime minister. And the comparison to Castro is hardly a compliment,tho I doubt you meant it as one.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.