Francophonization Must Be Fought

Proud_to_be_English

Dec 21, 2004
Fredericton, New Brunswick
For the English speaking peoples left in Quebec, and those in Ottawa and New Brunswick must stop wasting our time complaining about the USA when we are being driven out of our own homes and jobs in this country. The "province" of Quebec is nothing but a fascist state devoted to ethnic cleansing of English speaking peoples and businesses in its borders and I fear NB is heading down that route as well. The acadians in NB have just as much (if not more) racial hatred and bias towards English speaking peoples as there is in Quebec. Of course, I have already been branded a "bigot" by many on this board, although the acadians and quebecois are just "fighting to preserve their heritage". This is unequal, a double standard and completely disgusting. I am NOT a bigot. I do NOT want acadians to leave NB nor do I hate them. I simply wish that in areas that are dominantly English that it remain as such and not have french forced upon us. We will no longer tolerate this belligerence justified by centuries old hatreds and "birth rights".

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Proud_to_be_English said:
I simply wish that in areas that are dominantly English that it remain as such and not have french forced upon us. We will no longer tolerate this belligerence justified by centuries old hatreds and "birth rights".

I would agree with you on this only if it were true. How are the French driving you away from your homes? How are they forcing themselves on you? How is the minority doing so much against the majority?

Here's a question, what if a lot of French people moved to a predominately English area such that it became a majority French? Is that okay?

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I think Canada is more than big enough for everyone. Here in Vancouver area we have all sorts of diferent groups and large Indo and chines population and we all seem to get along for the most part.

EternalSunshine

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2004
Montreal
For the English speaking peoples left in Quebec, and those in Ottawa and New Brunswick must stop wasting our time complaining about the USA when we are being driven out of our own homes and jobs in this country.
Is it possible that part of your frustration is coming from the fact that you've never learned French and you live in a bilingual province?
Give it a try, you might benefit from it on many levels.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
EternalSunshine said:
For the English speaking peoples left in Quebec, and those in Ottawa and New Brunswick must stop wasting our time complaining about the USA when we are being driven out of our own homes and jobs in this country.
Is it possible that part of your frustration is coming from the fact that you've never learned French and you live in a bilingual province?
Give it a try, you might benefit from it on many levels.

Here, here! :)

He seems frustrated, assuming most of the acadiens also speak English.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
PTBE claims to be in the Civil Service-therefore his frustration is that he cannot advance up the ladder because he refuses to learn the other official language.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Re: RE: Francophonization Must Be Fought

missile said:
PTBE claims to be in the Civil Service-therefore his frustration is that he cannot advance up the ladder because he refuses to learn the other official language.

Maybe he should take up a French course? Maybe he failed it in high school? Who know. But to be the most successful, you really should be bilingual. Almost all Europeans (minus British) speak several languages. Look how advanced their society is! The least we can do here is speak 2. They speak upwards of 5 in some places.

Gabre34

Jan 3, 2005
United States
Proud_to_be_English said:
For the English speaking peoples left in Quebec, and those in Ottawa and New Brunswick must stop wasting our time complaining about the USA when we are being driven out of our own homes and jobs in this country. The "province" of Quebec is nothing but a fascist state devoted to ethnic cleansing of English speaking peoples and businesses in its borders and I fear NB is heading down that route as well. The acadians in NB have just as much (if not more) racial hatred and bias towards English speaking peoples as there is in Quebec. Of course, I have already been branded a "bigot" by many on this board, although the acadians and quebecois are just "fighting to preserve their heritage". This is unequal, a double standard and completely disgusting. I am NOT a bigot. I do NOT want acadians to leave NB nor do I hate them. I simply wish that in areas that are dominantly English that it remain as such and not have french forced upon us. We will no longer tolerate this belligerence justified by centuries old hatreds and "birth rights".

I couldn't agree more.

This country is of an english majority, keep it that way. French should not be shoved up our throats.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I am a proud NBer, descended from Northern Irish and Scottish ancestry...I live, work, and function daily in an anglophone system.

And you know, P-T-B-E, I find your opinion to be personally offensive. NB is without a doubt a bilingual society. The fact that I haven't kept up my French skills is my fault, no one else's. You are a wart on the toe of this society, and while I will acknowledge the right, indeed, the importance of hearing you, I have to tell you, your opinion is grossly misguided.

The Acadians of NB are, in my experience (as if you can lump a whole linguistic group together anyway), at least as tolerant as the anglophones. I have travelled all over this province, worked with people in just about every part of this wonderful place. All anyone in this province wants is a fair shot, AND WE ALL HAVE THAT. (See the Louis Robichaud thread if you're short on details).

With 30percent of the population francophone (I won't class all francophones as Acadians, because "les Brayons" of Madawaska are generally not Acadians, they are more of Quebec descent), this province must function bilingually. You need to get away from the civil service mentality that is so evident from your post. In my experience, the least tolerant people are civil servants from either Ottawa or Fredericton. Both cities exhibit a weird, closed mentality due to the capital city syndrome.

I suggest that you escape Fredericton before it totally dissolves your mind, while you still may be open to the real world and all the wonders it offers. While you can still be saved.

--------------------------------------------
If there's one thing I WILL NOT tolerate, it's INTOLERANCE.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I am a proud NBer, descended from Northern Irish and Scottish ancestry...I live, work, and function daily in an anglophone system.

And you know, P-T-B-E, I find your opinion to be personally offensive. NB is without a doubt a bilingual society. The fact that I haven't kept up my French skills is my fault, no one else's. You are a wart on the toe of this society, and while I will acknowledge the right, indeed, the importance of hearing you, I have to tell you, your opinion is grossly misguided.

The Acadians of NB are, in my experience (as if you can lump a whole linguistic group together anyway), at least as tolerant as the anglophones. I have travelled all over this province, worked with people in just about every part of this wonderful place. All anyone in this province wants is a fair shot, AND WE ALL HAVE THAT. (See the Louis Robichaud thread if you're short on details).

With 30percent of the population francophone (I won't class all francophones as Acadians, because "les Brayons" of Madawaska are generally not Acadians, they are more of Quebec descent), this province must function bilingually. You need to get away from the civil service mentality that is so evident from your post. In my experience, the least tolerant people are civil servants from either Ottawa or Fredericton. Both cities exhibit a weird, closed mentality due to the capital city syndrome.

I suggest that you escape Fredericton before it totally dissolves your mind, while you still may be open to the real world and all the wonders it offers. While you can still be saved.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal
I thought the "problem" had been solved ages ago:

All right... Constitution adopted - a most creditable document - a complete reform of all the excesses and injustice we have complained of: Is it not wonderful? French Canadianism entirely extinguished. Great" - George Brown, 1865- One of the Fathers of the Canadian Confederation

Better be carefull, French is spreading into Ontario;
http://www.cfra.com/headlines/index.asp?cat=1&nid=23570

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal

All right... Constitution adopted - a most creditable document - a complete reform of all the excesses and injustice we have complained of: Is it not wonderful? French Canadianism entirely extinguished. Great" - George Brown, 1865- One of the Fathers of the Canadian Confederation

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal