Harper says he'll protect traditional marriage

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Last Updated Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:26:13 EST

OTTAWA - Federal Conservative Leader Stephen Harper says his party will protect the traditional definition of marriage.

Harper said Tuesday that the Conservatives will introduce amendments to the government's same-sex marriage legislation if the proposed law doesn't conform to the party's vision.

Last week, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that Ottawa has exclusive jurisdiction to decide who has the right to get married in this country – but that religious groups are not obliged to perform unions against their beliefs.

Source

Stephen Harper is at it again. I'm happy most Canadians have open minds and have the vision of a free and open society without the same visions as Stephen Harper and the rest of his oil-tycoon-powered party.

By luck, the cons grabbed 93 or so seats (?) in the last election and with even more luck, Canadians will vote against them on a larger scale in the next election, which most of us have predicted might happen soon... Maybe even February.

Why would somebody want to take away the rights that people are receiving? Same-sex marriage affects nobody from the conservative party, so why are they so hell bent on imposing their obsolete so-called "Christian views" on the majority of Canadians? Screw the cons!

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I think the canadian people agree with you andem, at least in the last election, and with that guy and that hair, we will show them again in the next election what we think of them and their ideas.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
peapod said:
I think the canadian people agree with you andem, at least in the last election, and with that guy and that hair, we will show them again in the next election what we think of them and their ideas.

OMG peapod, you know we are like two peas in a pod.. After I posted that I remembered his hair and was about to make a comment... but I thought it might be a little off topic ;) Oh well, it's true, that hair has GOTTA go! It's like something off of an 80s sitcom school principle.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

He is just saying that to try an please some people. If he was to ever get elected (unlikley) as Prime minister he would use the "Notwithstanding clause" as soon as he was sworn in.

Gay Marriage banning is his first priority ahead of economy and real issues. Don't let him fool you. He is a George Bush/Ralph Klein in disguise.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Harper says he'll pro

The Bloc is very much for this, although they have some attachment to civil unions for reasons having nothing to do with SSM, at least as I understand it.

While there are members of each party who are against SSM, the Conservatives are the only party that are against it as part of their platform.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I'm pretty sure it will. Even if doesn't though, I doubt it will have much effect either way. 6 provinces and 1 territory allow same-sex marriage. The courts have consistently ruled that not allowing SSM is an infringement on the rights and freedom of gays.

The big thing is getting those on the right to admit that they'd use the notwithstanding clause to trample people's rights. They don't want to say that, but it's pretty clear that they would. Getting them to admit it is what this is really all about...pure politics.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

No, Harper is a small and inconsiderate man trying to inflict his puritanical religious beliefs on those that do not share those beliefs. He's doing it by being less than honest too...he keeps raising the spectre of religious freedom even though the Liberals, NDP and BQ have all said that the freedom for churches not to perform SSM will be protected.

Proud_to_be_English

Dec 21, 2004
Fredericton, New Brunswick
Making personal attacks on Harper is not necessary. He is only voicing an ideal that is shared by many Canadians. Marriage has always been a bond between two people of different genders, this is not "inflicted" on the population, it is simply the way society has worked for hundreds of years. The Liberals are tinkering with the workings of society and morality far too much and I fear it will result in social degradation on a mass scale.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Making personal attacks on Harper is not necessary.

Yeah, but typing "religious right" over and over again gets dull, so I go after their head boy in Canada.

He is only voicing an ideal that is shared by many Canadians.

Nobody is trying to keep them from following their ideals though. They don't have marry people of the same sex if they don't want to; their churches do not have to perform the ceremnies if they don't want to. Nobody is saying that people who don't want to have to attend gay weddings or even send a gift.

They, on the other hand, are trying to prevent same sex couples from following their ideals by marrying their partners.

Marriage has always been a bond between two people of different genders

That isn't really true. Some cultures, including some Canadian First Nations cultures, have traditionally accepted the marriage of same sex couples.

The Liberals are tinkering with the workings of society and morality far too much and I fear it will result in social degradation on a mass scale.

Social degradation? Doubtful. I've known some gays over the course of my life, yet I'm heterosexual. You can't "turn" somebody gay. I have about the same morals and scruples as the peer group I grew up with.

If you want to worry about social degradation it would be way more sensible to concentrate on those that would destroy our social safety net and our culture in exchange for a few quick bucks. It would prudent to worry about those that would tell your children that greed is good and money is more important than people. It would be advisable to challenge those that promote governmental programs that kill people.

Proud_to_be_English

Dec 21, 2004
Fredericton, New Brunswick
Governmental programs that kill people? Perhaps you are referring to legalized abortion which kills millions each year. If you doubt social degradation why don't you visit Vancouver and see what the freely embraced use of marijuana has lead to for a growing number of people who are now addicted to heroin. No one is trying to prevent homosexuals from reaching their ideals, if their ideal is to participate in the act of marriage then they should do so with a member of the opposite sex as marriage is an exclusive union between two individuals of opposite sexes. If their ideal is the be coupled with a member of the same sex then they may do so. If I had a male roomate for a few years I would most certainly not wish for the government to claim us to be common-law.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Re: RE: Harper says he'll protect traditional marriage

Proud_to_be_English said:
Making personal attacks on Harper is not necessary. He is only voicing an ideal that is shared by many Canadians. Marriage has always been a bond between two people of different genders, this is not "inflicted" on the population, it is simply the way society has worked for hundreds of years. The Liberals are tinkering with the workings of society and morality far too much and I fear it will result in social degradation on a mass scale.
I somehow knew you'd be against any form of gay marriage :x