Ethnic cleansing of Anglos in Quebec

Is English instruction in Quebec's public school system doomed to extinction?

• Yes, there is not turning back now. Fini sont les écoles Anglais au Quebec.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mediana

Nominee Member
Oct 15, 2004
La Belle Province
Some background information on how Quebec is phasing out English, followed by some discouraging news on the proposed closure of four elementary schools and two high schools.

Who may attend English Schools
http://www.aq.qc.ca/Main_English/eligibility.htm
---

Web Posted | Dec 7 2004 07:27 AM EST
http://montreal.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=qc-schools20041207

Parents make pitch to keep English schools open
MONTREAL - Representatives from English schools slated to close next year asked for a reprieve at a Monday night meeting.

The English Montreal School Board is looking at closing four elementary and two high schools, because of declining enrollment.

A bagpiper led the contingent from St. Gabriel's School in Point St. Charles. Students, parents, teachers and community members from the neighbourhood came to support the school's pitch to remain open.

They want the board to grant a three-year grace period and help the school find ways to attract more children.

"We have 120 children who walk to [this school] every day," says Joanne Raymond, who had two children graduate from St. Gabriel's, and has a third still studying there.

"It's the only English school in the community, and if you close that, where are they going to go? I mean, parents are going to have to bus their children?"

RELATED STORY - James Lyng saved, other schools still set to close
http://montreal.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=qc_school20040826

St.Patrick's School in the Plateau Mont-Royal district is another of the schools slated to close. It's pitching the idea of changing to a "French mother-tongue" program where most classes are taught in French. School representative Giuliano D'Andrea says it's a step further than a regular French immersion program.

"They are, in essence, being prepared to use French as a common language. The immersion program does not," D'Andrea says.

The school board will announce next month which schools will close, and which will remain open.

EternalSunshine

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2004
Montreal
My kids go to an English Montreal School Board elementary school and, yes, unfortunately those schools have every year less and less students.

It's too bad, really, since program in this school, for example, is bilingual, half the subjects are taught in French. Kids come out of there with a pretty good knowledge of French. (Unlike francophone kids, that barely learn any English in elementary school and - I know separatists can argue this - but not being able to speak English on this continent is a clear disadvantage.)

It is also understandable that EMSB at some point has to close those schools, if for no other reason then to ensure that the kids who are enrolled get a good education.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
EternalSunshine said:
It's too bad, really, since program in this school, for example, is bilingual, half the subjects are taught in French. Kids come out of there with a pretty good knowledge of French. (Unlike francophone kids, that barely learn any English in elementary school and - I know separatists can argue this - but not being able to speak English on this continent is a clear disadvantage.)

Hehe, I love the way you say that! It definately is a disadvantage, and a big one at that! Lets add separation, a falling economy and an incompatible language together. What do we get? Well, the economy will nosedive if the province separates and there's nowhere else in North American the non-bilingual Quebecois can goto work! = disaster!

sj007

Council Member
Nov 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
www.canadiancontent.net
i know friends that go to wegar or however u spell it even though i go to a french school is no reason why ppl that dont whant to shouldnt have the right. even though i could seing as my parents were educatd in english i canada i fell more that the law is stupid.
ne ways thats my 2 cents ;)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Really reaching on this one eh...... how do you get ethnic cleansing from the closure of under used schools?

But hey...what the hell...... if ya can't find anything bad.....make it up as ya go....right?

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Hey! Gerryh

Yuh know, I was thinkin' the same thing when first reading this thread. I got no issues with Quebec, and so, usually I don't read stuff about separation and language. I just read it because the headline or title grabbed my curiosity.

I'm tellin' yuh .... Canadians are the most paranoid people on the planet! Everybody and everything is out to destroy us as a Nation. We don't have a war on terror .... we got a war on Canadians.
Canadians look at each other with suspicion and wonder when the "other" is gonna grab or steal what we got.
We fight amongst ourselves and then at election time, we vote for politicians who promise to protect us from ourselves.

Someone, somewhere, .... is making money at this war which we wage between us. It is a savage war and so destructive.

Personally, I have reason for paranoia, because I live above a Kareoke bar. I keep hearing voices.

Calm

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Alright, I voted. I voted yes. Why? Well, the poll never specified how long, so English is bound to die in Quebec sooner or later. If not in ten years, then a hundred. If not in a hundred, then athousand. So I suppose I can't go wrong voting yes nomatter what happens. So I think that was the safe vote for those who don't like to guess wrong.

EternalSunshine

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2004
Montreal
gerryh said:
Really reaching on this one eh...... how do you get ethnic cleansing from the closure of under used schools?

Ethnic cleansing might be a bit strong expression for what is going on. The fact is that less and less people have the right to enroll their kids in english schools. Closing of the schools is just a consequence.

Population here grows mostly thanks to immigrants, and they can educate their kids in French only.

There used to be a loophole that immigrants used a lot: if they sent one child for one year into a private (and not at all subsidized by the government) school, that child and all the siblings would be eligible for an education in English. That is not possible anymore.

Recently there was a case of a man from Manitoba, I think, who moved to Quebec and who, as a child, went to a French immersion program. After he moved here he had send his children to French school here, since he got most of his elementary education in French.

There are little examples like that, but of course they are of no concern to the rest of Canada, unless somebody plans on actually moving here.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
You gotta admire the Qeubecois mentality and their stubborness in fighting against the tide. But, aren't they just turning the province into one large French ghetto?

gregbarrett

Mar 11, 2005
Why the big deal? If the schools are not being used, why not use limited resources properly and close them? If the French majority wants their immigrants to be educated in French, it is their right.
With 280 million speakers of English in North America, you will have a hard time convincing me that people don't have an opportunity to learn and use English. I am American/Canadian but live in Costa Rica with my Tica wife and two daughters. We speak French at home, Spanish in the street, and English and Spanish at work. Learning and speaking French in Quebec means showing respect for a beautiful culture that has a right to live and flourish. Children in Quebec should be educated in French but with English taught as a strong second language through summer programs. After that, why not encourage learning of Spanish and other languages? We live in a world of increasing communication and the more we communicate in all languages, the better.

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal
Trying to link the closure of some english schools to English cleansing by the Government of Quebec is ridiculous.
For your information, the Montreal School Board has closed 7 French schools in the area in the last 2 years.
Following your logic, could we say the English are invading Quebec and are slowly cleansing the French?
Schools are closing for the simple reason that there are less kids being created in the last 10 years than there were 25 years ago.
Get real please and stop that paranoia..

cub1c

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2005
Québec, Montréal
RE: Ethnic cleansing of A

Yes it is real paranoia!!

Please, GIVE ME A BREAK. I have learn mostly my english by watching the Simpsons and navigating through the Internet.

I was born and raised in French and in Québec.
We learn a lot of english at schools! More than before! You know what? I also got 3 school years of Spanish and Latin too and I went to a public school!!

But what we want is make it the second language in Québec. What is so wrong with that??? Saying that we are stubborn is just plain stupid. And we know we will be seen this way forever, and we a ready to live with that misconception, united in a Country called Québec.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
I gotta think all of these protectionist policies are going eventually to come crashing down on Quebecers' heads. How long is this sustainable? They are making it more and more unattractive for immigrants to move there, and more and more unattractive for business to invest there. The world is moving in the opposite direction: tearing down barriers, becoming more 'globalized'. Stand in front of this tide and it might sweep you away.

cub1c

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2005
Québec, Montréal
Re: RE: Ethnic cleansing of Anglos in Quebec

MMMike said:
I gotta think all of these protectionist policies are going eventually to come crashing down on Quebecers' heads. How long is this sustainable? They are making it more and more unattractive for immigrants to move there, and more and more unattractive for business to invest there. The world is moving in the opposite direction: tearing down barriers, becoming more 'globalized'. Stand in front of this tide and it might sweep you away.

It makes me sad that you are so unaware of what Québec is.

But ya know, feds are doing a great job.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Its ok for Quebec to have "Language police" to rid English and thats ok to them but if we in BC had language police to rid french, Quebecers would be crying to high heaven. Why the double standard?

cub1c

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2005
Québec, Montréal
Re: RE: Ethnic cleansing of A

no1important said:
Its ok for Quebec to have "Language police" to rid English and thats ok to them but if we in BC had language police to rid french, Quebecers would be crying to high heaven. Why the double standard?

:?
For the simple reason that French language speaking person is in majority in the Québec province, and in democracy, the majority gets to decide. As a Québécois, I can assure you that we are mature enough to give the same rights to our minority's that the majority have, like it is always been in my Québec.

BC getting rid of French in their province would be seen as a major infraction towards minority's rights. As French Quebecers we would object this kind of abuse and will support YOUR OWN CITIZENS for the damage you would be causing them.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Really, you do not seem to be looking after english rights in Quebec.

So it is okay for Quebec to trample on English rights by having the language police go after people with English signs etc, but it would not be ok if BC were to do the same? Now thats hypocritical if you ask me.

cub1c

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2005
Québec, Montréal
Re: RE: Ethnic cleansing of A

no1important said:
Really, you do not seem to be looking after english rights in Quebec.

So it is okay for Quebec to trample on English rights by having the language police go after people with English signs etc, but it would not be ok if BC were to do the same? Now thats hypocritical if you ask me.

no1important
One of the main goal of Québec sovereighty is
to liberate Québec of people that think (and act) like you.

Where did you read that there is a police that denies the rights of English people to put signs in English? This is a real misconception and it denotes your lack of education and intelligence.

You should go back to school. And if you learned that in school, then you should come study here.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Just what would you call the idiot assholes who charge store owners with failure to provide all their signage in French? And what about the large fines imposed on them for failure to comply with the language laws? Police is a proper term for them.