Canadian Gun Registry

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
GUN REGISTRY

Wasn't enough money wasted on this useless exercise? Obviously not,as the Feds plan on spending another 80 million or so on it.I wish I had kept all my firearms now.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: GUN REGISTRY

You know what really bugs me about this? We did need gun control. We still need gun control because it's clear that this registry only affects legal owners. It was clear that some sort of program was coming the day after the shootings at l'ecole Polytechnique.

Instead of gun owners and the Reform/Alliance/Conservatives working with the Liberals to address the very real problems while maintaining some sanity, the gun lobby ranted and raved and pretended that nothing needed to be done. They shipped Chuck Heston up here to tell us our rights under the US Constitution. They put Ted Nugent back in the public eye to yark his blood-thirsty riffs.

Instead of acting like grown-ups and going to the Liberals and saying, "Look, we recognise that there's a problem so let's figure out how to deal with it," they stood there stamping their feet and yelling and screaming. In the end a bunch of people who really don't understand the difference between a single-shot .22 and an AK-47 brought in a law and a gun registry.

Because neither they nor their constituents understand guns we ended up with something that costs a lot of money and makes life hard for responsible people without addressing the real problem.

The Liberals were listening too. They listened to the NDP and Liberal back-benchers and made adjustments for the native communities. Mostly though, they listened to pressure groups from urban areas. Maybe if some conservatives would have shown up with a realistic alternative we wouldn't be spending billions on nothing.

Giraldi_Theirrey

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2004

Canadians are by far extreme and beyond and totally off the wall too Schizo and triggerhappy to be trusted with guns. Canadians don't just shoot to kill..... they shoot to EAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canadians are always happy to greet tourists, because well.... not only are they rich but they are also a popular canadian dish!!!!

Beware of the Canadian chef by the way, especially when he gives that odd smiling and licking his lips when looking at you. As canadians usually find non-canadians very.. delicious. Just REMEMBER THAT HE IS CANADIAN and you will be fine. If you are a visitor, don't let them find out that you are not a canadian.

sj007

Council Member
Nov 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
www.canadiancontent.net
Re: RE: GUN REGISTRY

Giraldi_Theirrey said:
Canadians are by far extreme and beyond and totally off the wall too Schizo and triggerhappy to be trusted with guns. Canadians don't just shoot to kill..... they shoot to EAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if we are so trigger happy why dont we have as many deaths per pop as the US?
and most canadians to my best knowledge are not insane

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.

The simplest solution to the "Gun Problem" would have been to only allow ammo to be sold by special licenses, and one would need a new license every time .

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004
Province perdue du Canada, Louisian

Reverend Blair said:
You know what really bugs me about this? We did need gun control. We still need gun control because it's clear that this registry only affects legal owners. It was clear that some sort of program was coming the day after the shootings at l'ecole Polytechnique.

In the end a bunch of people who really don't understand the difference between a single-shot .22 and an AK-47 brought in a law and a gun registry.

Because neither they nor their constituents understand guns we ended up with something that costs a lot of money and makes life hard for responsible people without addressing the real problem.

The Liberals were listening too. They listened to the NDP and Liberal back-benchers and made adjustments for the native communities. Mostly though, they listened to pressure groups from urban areas. Maybe if some conservatives would have shown up with a realistic alternative we wouldn't be spending billions on nothing.

Your answer is in the question, Rev, law abiding gun owners will abide by the law. In the States, harsh sentences are being handed out for gun ctrimes with sentences doubled or tripled for the use of a firearm in a crime! Possession of a gun by a felon is automatically 10 yrs in jail! (Just enforce the law!) What do you think?

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004

missile said:
The simplest solution to the "Gun Problem" would have been to only allow ammo to be sold by special licenses, and one would need a new license every time .

Don't you have show your licence at time of purchase! IDs are checked here in the States and still unable to stop the flow of Bullets, criminals will pay the Blackmarket and get what they want.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

I can't, for the life of me, understand why the gun registry is so complicated and unpopular.
Every Province has a system in place to register cars. Why can't the same stupid system be used for guns? And why is registering a gun so much more of an issue than registering a car?
Why, why, why?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

I don't think a gun registry would be at all effective, Rev. It's a good idea on paper, but in reality guns will always make their way into the wrong hands. They get shipped here via the border without getting caught, there are rings across the cities which distribute firearms, you can see that in so many news stories featured here atleast.

I think what we need is tighter laws and better enforcement in stopping the people who get their hands on firearms. Tighter border security for one.

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Re: GUN REGISTRY

If we get rid of guns .... so what?

People who want to threaten or harm other folks will just use another weapon.

A really good weapon would be a capacitor out of an air-conditioner. A capacitor stores electricity.

Zip .... Your toast!

Trying to rid ourselves of guns is like trying to ban poisons.

Calm

aupook

Nominee Member
Dec 8, 2004
Starbucks

I agree with charles heston, and if you have any doubts, go back to his famous movie planet of the apes. Its all there. A armed simian is a good simian.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I'm not saying that the registry could be made to work, Andem. I'm saying that the people who are so dead-set against it never got involved until it was too late and now all they do is bitch and complain. It's too late and it's their own damned fault.

The Liberals were listening before they drafted this bill. All they heard from gun owners is that no legislation would be acceptable. No ideas, no real proposals...just a, "NO!" Meanwhile the majority of Canadians were demanding something be done. The registry gives the apearance of that even if it isn't effective.

Increased sentencing hasn't made much of a difference in the states and, because access is so open in some states, state laws limiting ownership and requiring licensing are ineffective. Gun control in the US will never work until they change the second amendment.

We live in a different country though. If we want to limit guns coming in we can. Gun oil has a particular scent. So does gun powder. We can tighten up the borders. We won't get them all, but we can push the price up so that every wannabe gang member in the country doesn't have one.

That has "trade implications" though. So does leaning on the US to get their problem under control. So does dealing with the social problems that lead to gun violence.

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004

Andem said:
I don't think a gun registry would be at all effective, Rev. It's a good idea on paper, but in reality guns will always make their way into the wrong hands. They get shipped here via the border without getting caught, there are rings across the cities which distribute firearms, you can see that in so many news stories featured here atleast.

I think what we need is tighter laws and better enforcement in stopping the people who get their hands on firearms. Tighter border security for one.

The secret is that guns are shipped across the border not in the usual manner but smuggled in by border jumpers who know how to cross the border and where!

You can not sell guns in the States without a FFL so the RCMP and ATF need to be on top of this one!

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004

Reverend Blair said:
Increased sentencing hasn't made much of a difference in the states and, because access is so open in some states, state laws limiting ownership and requiring licensing are ineffective. Gun control in the US will never work until they change the second amendment.

We live in a different country though. If we want to limit guns coming in we can. Gun oil has a particular scent. So does gun powder. We can tighten up the borders. We won't get them all, but we can push the price up so that every wannabe gang member in the country doesn't have one.

That has "trade implications" though. So does leaning on the US to get their problem under control. So does dealing with the social problems that lead to gun violence.

I don't think the 2nd adm is going away, however it is tough to get a gun down here in the States now, you must first pass a background check from the police and then you are allowed to buy the gun. A lot of straw purchases by "friends" are allowing some to get through the cracks. Since Gun Ownership is regulated on the Federal Level for the most part, the rules are the same all over the US. If an illegal gun is found, you can trace it down via paperwork and see who the "rightful viilian" is and somebody made to "pay". On the State level, it is illegal to have the guns outside your house in some States without a Licnece, so enforcement is lscking.

Your gang memebers and the wannabees will always get their guns, too much money in drugs, etc not to be not to afford a "piece". The US would welcome leaning on in this manner and if the RCMP calls his ATF buddy, I have been lead to believe assistance would be forthcoming, a gnagbanger without his piece is a good gang chomp.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Hey! Reverend Blair

When was the last time you got a job after refusing to give your social insurance number?

Of course, I know it is supposed to be confidential.

Amendments to privacy laws won’t protect our personal data from the FBI
October 08, 2004
http://www.bcgeu.ca/2502

Ummm...wrong thread I think, Calm. You'll have to define "job" too. As a freelancer I rarely give out my SIN. The Manitoba goernment isn't yet contracting to US companies, and I have no intention of filling out the 2006 census if Lockheed Martin is involved in it.

CSIS and the RCMP share information with the FBI though, so they'll have at least a bit on me. Somebody in the USA has an inkling of my internet history because they won't let me into their country anymore.

The secret is that guns are shipped across the border not in the usual manner but smuggled in by border jumpers who know how to cross the border and where!

Yep. Except most illegal weapons come in the trunks of cars, not across the bald prairie or in boats across a lake. A few sniffer dogs checking the cars of those nice people coming up to fill their prescriptions would slow the flow pretty drastically.

I don't think the 2nd adm is going away, however it is tough to get a gun down here in the States now, you must first pass a background check from the police and then you are allowed to buy the gun.

The background check is pretty basic though, in some states almost non-existent, and the guns available are often things not available in Canada. You can buy many guns including handguns and semi-automatics that can be converted into automatics easily. Now, thanks to George Bush and his NRA buddies, you can get assault rifles again.

Since Gun Ownership is regulated on the Federal Level for the most part, the rules are the same all over the US.

Those regulations are not enforced equally.

Your gang memebers and the wannabees will always get their guns, too much money in drugs, etc not to be not to afford a "piece".

I can buy a gun in several Winnipeg bars for a couple hundred dollars. The low-level gang members...the ones just starting out...can afford that. They can't afford $500 though, at least not if they want to buy drugs too.

The US would welcome leaning on in this manner and if the RCMP calls his ATF buddy, I have been lead to believe assistance would be forthcoming, a gnagbanger without his piece is a good gang chomp.

Every time the Canadian government has ever broached this subject with the US, they have met massive oposition from American politicians. The US wouldn;t even sign the UN small arms agreement because of the second amendment.

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004

Reverend Blair said:
Hey! Reverend Blair

When was the last time you got a job after refusing to give your social insurance number?

Of course, I know it is supposed to be confidential.

Amendments to privacy laws won’t protect our personal data from the FBI
October 08, 2004
http://www.bcgeu.ca/2502

Ummm...wrong thread I think, Calm. You'll have to define "job" too. As a freelancer I rarely give out my SIN. The Manitoba goernment isn't yet contracting to US companies, and I have no intention of filling out the 2006 census if Lockheed Martin is involved in it.

CSIS and the RCMP share information with the FBI though, so they'll have at least a bit on me. Somebody in the USA has an inkling of my internet history because they won't let me into their country anymore.

I don't think they are interested in your internet history, nice try tho'. I think its something else.

Yep. Except most illegal weapons come in the trunks of cars, not across the bald prairie or in boats across a lake. A few sniffer dogs checking the cars of those nice people coming up to fill their prescriptions would slow the flow pretty drastically.

I don't think its little ole ladies out for a Prescription Holiday bringing in those guns, most criminals know the short cuts and how to get something across the Line, I am from a Long Line of 1920's Bootlegger types and 49th isn't hard to cross! I do like the dog ideas however, let bowser smell my RV! Crossing at Coutts, Alberta one time the young lady assigned to search my RV did not know how to start and she said, Since you are from Louisiana, you gotta have a gun so why don't you make this easy on yourself!" ROTFLMAO, I watched her search for a half hour until her supervisior came over and told her to stop, his credentials check out! My old law enforcement six-sense told me that probably 3 cars of gang bangers came across while watching the show! I tipped the Mountie at the station off to something suspicous and he made a bust! I-15 is a major drug conduit area and ita a no-brainer! The young Revenue Canada Customs agent asked how I, I could tell. You just have to raise teenagers to have a bullcrap detector. Not really, the back seat passengers were looking around and had picture perfect ID, the were let go at the border and the RCMP after my tip radio his partner and they checked out my hunch! BINGO, 10MM GLOCKS and $12,000.00 USD! All undeclared!

I don't think the 2nd adm is going away, however it is tough to get a gun down here in the States now, you must first pass a background check from the police and then you are allowed to buy the gun.

The background check is pretty basic though, in some states almost non-existent, and the guns available are often things not available in Canada. You can buy many guns including handguns and semi-automatics that can be converted into automatics easily. Now, thanks to George Bush and his NRA buddies, you can get assault rifles again.

Since Gun Ownership is regulated on the Federal Level for the most part, the rules are the same all over the US.

Those regulations are not enforced equally.

Your gang memebers and the wannabees will always get their guns, too much money in drugs, etc not to be not to afford a "piece".

I can buy a gun in several Winnipeg bars for a couple hundred dollars. The low-level gang members...the ones just starting out...can afford that. They can't afford $500 though, at least not if they want to buy drugs too.

The US would welcome leaning on in this manner and if the RCMP calls his ATF buddy, I have been lead to believe assistance would be forthcoming, a gnagbanger without his piece is a good gang chomp.

Every time the Canadian government has ever broached this subject with the US, they have met massive oposition from American politicians. The US wouldn;t even sign the UN small arms agreement because of the second amendment.[/quote]

The Background check is a federal issue, no variations!

Can't sign treaty, Constitution can not be over ridden by outside treaties! Constitutional Law.