Canadians protest against Bush

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
OTTAWA -- Masked bands of self-described anarchists appear at most major demonstrations, often clashing with police. But such protesters will likely be drowned out today by a diverse throng of peaceniks as George W. Bush arrives for a two-day visit to Canada. As many as 15,000 marchers are expected in Ottawa and another 5,000 during his trip to Halifax tomorrow.

Source

I just turned on the television to CBC Newsworld and thought they may have pulled over again to the Ukraine elections by the looks of the protests.. then it zoomed in and I saw rue Rideau sign.

I'm happy Canadians are not scared to go out and protest against this man. Incidentially, there has been more talk of what everybody on this forum has been talking about for a couple of years now: Arresting Bush for war crimes.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I posted this under Bush's visit too. What the heck though?

The first minor incident with protestors just happend in Ottawa. What they were showing on Newsworld didn't really make what was going on clear, but what I've just heard makes it a little more clear, or maybe less.

I have a friend who's there and during a peaceful protest a single cop took a swing at somebody. Nobody knows why, it might have been because the protestor put (or had) a balaclava on or he might have said something or he might have kicked the cop in the shins. That's three possibilities from one person who was only a few feet away.

Anyway, what the crowd saw was a cop hit a protestor. They surged forward and the cops pushed back. Keep that in mind...what the crowd saw was a cop hit a protestor. Even then they remained mostly peaceful. There was a stick or two visible on TV and some punches thrown against cop shields, but it was mostly just a bunch of people taking a step or two forward.

One cop was hurt (the rumour there is that he was hit by another cop who was swinging at a protestor, but nobody knows) and some protestors were arrested. At least one was beaten a bit, a few others were treated very roughly considering they were not fighting back. There is no need to kneel on a man's head when he is resisting by letting his body go limp, especially when two of your buddies are holding him down.

When the cops put on their gas masks, my friend decided it was probably a good time to go grab a bite to eat. So did most of the crowd. He is looking forward to more peaceful protesting in a few hours. Also, he thinks he can score with some girl from Montreal.

Hendrixismyidol

Nov 25, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I was out near the airport working this morning so I decided to stand near one of the fences to watch Air Force One fly in and then taxi in on the runway. As I was watching I noticed a light shining nearby which turned out to be the glare from a scope on a gun from someone on the roof a couple buildings over. I guess he was ready in case I pulled out my WMD.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Canadians protest aga

The security bill for the city of Ottawa is $3 million for one day. I think they should bill the White House. With all the usual security that follows Bush around, they likely wouldn;t even notice.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Do you usually ask dinner guests to pay for the food they eat?

Nope, and I never suggested that Bush pay for his steak.

If a guest comes to my house and brings a bunch of friends who rip up the lawn, I do expect him to take responsibility for the damages though.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Apparently not all protestors were AGAINST bush:

"I came to this country from Iraq," he shouts in staccato bursts. "I have family there. I talk to them all the time. Look at these fools. They have no idea. They are idiots. They are simple babies. The majority of Iraqis are glad Bush liberated them from Saddam Hussein. But, you don't see that on TV, only the terrorist gangsters blowing people up. They don't speak for the people of Iraq.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnists/Ottawa/Earl_McRae/2004/12/01/750149.html

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Yeah, they had one of the women who founded Free Dominion on NewsWorld yesterday. She organised the pro-Bush crowd.

So what we clearly have is a bunch of anti-Canadian fifth columnists trying to appease the biggest terrorist threat on the planet while whining that there's no prayer in the schools and gay people aren't being burned at the stake.

75% of Canadians dislike Bush. There's a reason for that. Paul Martin would do well to pay heed to what Canadians want.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Re: RE: Canadians protest aga

Reverend Blair said:
So what we clearly have is a bunch of anti-Canadian fifth columnists trying to appease the biggest terrorist threat on the planet while whining that there's no prayer in the schools and gay people aren't being burned at the stake.

Revvie you need a holiday! :wink:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I figured since every time I say anything about anybody from the US I get called anti-American, then it was bloody well time that we started pointing out the anti-Canadians who are trying to mess up our country.

They are, very much, against what the majority of Canadians say they want this country to stand for and considers important. I used to just think think they disagreed, but lately all they ever really say is, "The US is better." To me that makes them very much anti-Canadian.

passpatoo

Electoral Member
Aug 29, 2004
Algoma
On a similar note here. Last night on "The Journal", they had a Environics Pollster on who has been tracking American vs Canadian attitudes for quite a number of years. Despite many attitudes to the contrary, his research showed a divergence in attitude between the US and Canada. While Americans are becoming more right wing we are moving more to the left. We are becoming more European. His conclusion: the Anti-Canadian Fifth Columnists here in Canada are becoming a smaller and smaller demographic. (Not exactly his words, but it was his message).

This was rather comforting to me. I've been rather intropective as to whether or not we Canadians are actually moving in that direction as I've suspected. Or, am I just hanging around people who share this/my views. Apparently, I'm actually amongst the majority for once in my life!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I missed that last night. A pollster, I'm guessing the same one, had an article in The Walrus a few months ago going over that same thing. I can;t remember his name, but it's my understanding that he also has a book on the subject.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
But Reverend, I don't get it: more than ones I have heard people criticising the idea of calling Americans who don't agree with Bush's agenda "anti-American". I share their criticism. Isn't calling people "anti-Canadian" the same thing then? Aren't these people - how wrong they might be in our eyes - allowed to use their freedom of speech? When they want Canada to become more similar to the US of Bush (USB), I guess they want the "best" for Canada (although I personally have the belief that is not the case). Calling them anti-Canadian just ... well kills the discussion in my opinion.