U.S. vs. Canada-statistics on crime and religion

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
This is a thread from another forum

On reading the latest statistics something struck me as very odd....

In the last 25 years the U.S. has gotten tough on crime...it is the only western country with the death penalty....federal and state governments imposed brutal sentences , built harsh prisons and cut parole. It incarceration rate is now six times higher than the rate in Canada.....yet when comparing homicide rates in those two countries you'll find that the murder rate in Canada is 1.85 per 100,000 people. While in the U.S. it is 5.6...more than 3 times the Canadian rate..

But when you look at the statistics about church attendence you'll find that on a per capita basis the U.S. leads by 3 to 1...in other words Amercans are more religious than Canadians.
Frankly I am puzzled by these facts....I always thought that religious folk are more law abiding than others

My favorite answer on this thread is: It's a known fact, it's harder to kill your girlfriend in a fit of rage with the lacross stick in your closet than with the pistol in your bed side drawer

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
I guess they aren't listening when they go to church.

But I guess these stats are what you would expect when it is every one's god given right to carry a sub machine gun.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
"I always thought that religious folk are more law abiding than others "

That's your first mistake. First of all, every single President of the US has to make a big deal out of going to church, especially during the campaign; Clinton even had Jesse Jackson praying for him...and you'll find that GWB is a very good church going man......so much for Christianity, huh?

I've found that the more people make an effort to let you know what good Christians they are, the more likely they are to either stab you in the back, or commit fraud.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
yup, anyone who has made a point of telling me they are a 'christian' usually are a pain in the butt.

i consider myself a 'christian' even though i never attend church, or tell anyone.

a true christian to me is someone who treats everyone as an equal and is kind...or something like that 8)

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Gregg: Hello and welcome! A couple of thoughts when I read this request...

I don't know if you selected the thread or your question was put here among some very old discussions..

Thought one: why aren't you putting your query on Google or other search engines???

My second thought: I automatically (as we do in the western nations perhaps) thought of Christian or Jewish religions ... and then...

My third thought: Does this include Islamic Fundamental Religious groups? I mean they are a 'religion' are they not? However I understand in many nations including Britain one is not allowed
to secregate Islamic/Muslim from another other grouping - as part of the politically correct dogmatic thema which has now become fundamental and rather a religious devotion in itself...

Didn't answer your question - but if you look to the recent terrorism we are all experiencing around the world .... well I leave it up to the readers...

Minority Observer84

Theism Exorcist
Sep 26, 2006
The Capitol

On reading the latest statistics something struck me as very odd....

In the last 25 years the U.S. has gotten tough on crime...it is the only western country with the death penalty....federal and state governments imposed brutal sentences , built harsh prisons and cut parole. It incarceration rate is now six times higher than the rate in Canada.....yet when comparing homicide rates in those two countries you'll find that the murder rate in Canada is 1.85 per 100,000 people. While in the U.S. it is 5.6...more than 3 times the Canadian rate..

But when you look at the statistics about church attendence you'll find that on a per capita basis the U.S. leads by 3 to 1...in other words Amercans are more religious than Canadians.
Frankly I am puzzled by these facts....I always thought that religious folk are more law abiding than others

My favorite answer on this thread is: It's a known fact, it's harder to kill your girlfriend in a fit of rage with the lacross stick in your closet than with the pistol in your bed side drawer
The answer is self evident religion does not equal morality despite what people like Al Sharpton woud have you believe .

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

the U.S. has gotten tough on crime...it is the only western country with the death penalty....

No, it isn't. Most Caribbean countries have it, too.

Though, regarding Canada's high crime rate, it is actually in the Top 10 of the countries with the world's highest crime rates. That's what happens when crimes are "punished" with soft sentences.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Though, regarding Canada's high crime rate, it is actually in the Top 10 of the countries with the world's highest crime rates. That's what happens when crimes are "punished" with soft sentences.

Yeah I hear the crime rate in Rwanda is low. With the exception of murder that is.

Minority Observer84

Theism Exorcist
Sep 26, 2006
The Capitol

We have a case study to the south with much harsher sentences and a much higher crime rate.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006

Whats worse, High crime or High Violent Crime?

I'll settle for lower violent crime, most of the other stuff is subjective. If we legalized drugs all of a sudden it wouldn't be part of our crime rate anymore.

As for easier to kill in rage with a gun than a blunt object. It seems you don't understand rage. Your bare hands are all you need if your enraged. And more often than a gun, thats the case.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Well hey we are doing pretty damn good at killing one another without having the right to bear arms in our charter....

Not dissing the yanks for that, after all iot was something they put in there cause the red coats banned arms......

I think for us to have a crime rate that high in a country that 35 years had what total 20 murders a year or less...hell that's now a slow weekend at jane and finch

GreggM

Following up on

A reply I received from 'Curiosity':
Gregg: Hello and welcome! A couple of thoughts when I read this request...

I don't know if you selected the thread or your question was put here among some very old discussions..

Thought one: why aren't you putting your query on Google or other search engines???

My second thought: I automatically (as we do in the western nations perhaps) thought of Christian or Jewish religions ... and then...

My third thought: Does this include Islamic Fundamental Religious groups? I mean they are a 'religion' are they not? However I understand in many nations including Britain one is not allowed
to secregate Islamic/Muslim from another other grouping - as part of the politically correct dogmatic thema which has now become fundamental and rather a religious devotion in itself...

Didn't answer your question - but if you look to the recent terrorism we are all experiencing around the world .... well I leave it up to the readers...

Interestingly, my question did not enter into biased divisions of any nature whatsoever. Thus 'Dear Curiosity' please come down to the more global and just aspects of Life in answering my question. I do not within me know the differences you apparently have burning in you. Thus, I am not interested in going into discusions on 'Terrorism', nor dividing 'religion' in any manner other than with regards to the 'Statistics' I requested above. Nevertheless, your reply has somewhat added another solid block into the complex structure of understanding reasons.

Does any one have an idea as to where I could locate the 'Staistics' I mentioned above.

Thank you.
Gregg

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
"Whats worse, High crime or High Violent Crime?

I'll settle for lower violent crime, most of the other stuff is subjective. If we legalized drugs all of a sudden it wouldn't be part of our crime rate anymore."

Stats Canada doesn't include drug crime in its crime rate stats. Go figure. I can only imagine our numbers if it did.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
The stats don't say that the American Christians were doing the killing though.

Maybe it is just that in areas where there is more rampant religion going on, the others get so frustrated and angry that they kill a lot more. Ha ha ha.

But seriously, it could be fallout from religious sexual abuses on other church members, particularly young boys. They will surely grow up to be violent murderers, and guns are easy to get in the US so they shoot a lot of their victims.

We should join the U.S.-eh? [kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
And for most American violent crime, I read, people don't know each other. While in Canada, most people who commit crimes know each other. Could be a hint here where P says ( a Cdn I assume) whacking his girlfriend-because he knows her.

To me, if you stay away from shady types, the bad part of town and don't throw things in people's faces, you will stay quite healthy and avoid violent crime.

Is this a major psychological difference between Canucks and Yanks? Is it true or am I breathing too much Korean air? Is it backed up by any statistics? Or is it anecdotal?