Improving & Reforming Your Canada

T. Rex

Nominee Member
I want to know what the people on this site think Canada needs from it's government to help improve our ranking in the world and improve our standard of living. I am looking for a consensus on this and would like some serious response.

Do you want to see:

Better relations with the United States regardless of who is elected.
Better relations with the European Union.
A revamped Healthcare System?
Proportional Representation?
Throw out or Embrase Kyoto?
Spend More on Military?
Spend Less on Government expenses like trips for big officials?
Further Integration with the United States?
Reformed Trade Agreements?

I disagree with a large portion of what I read on this site, but I will comprimise and get to know some things in common.

T. Rex

Nominee Member
::: Better relations with the United States regardless of who is elected.

I agree with this.

::: Better relations with the European Union.

We need to improve Canada for the whole world. Mending the relationship with the USA is my first priority.

::: A revamped Healthcare System?

Where does all this money we throw into the outdated system go?

::: Proportional Representation?

For once, give the other guys a say. We need more balance.

::: Throw out or Embrase Kyoto?

It is costing us nothing but jobs and it's eating Alberta's economy. Get rid of it.

::: Spend More on Military?

How can we defend ourselfs when the country has an army smaller than that of a country 1/100 our size??

::: Spend Less on Government expenses like trips for big officials?

There is no arguement there.

::: Further Integration with the United States?

Definately. Canada and the US are two the same. We live with and prosper off of each other.

::: Reformed Trade Agreements?

The jobs being lost now to Mexico and the third world are killing the livelyhoods of people across Canada and the United States. We need a change, I agree with that.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
T. Rex said:
::: Throw out or Embrase Kyoto?

It is costing us nothing but jobs and it's eating Alberta's economy. Get rid of it. And lets go on with destroying the world's environment.

T. Rex said:

How can we defend ourselfs when the country has an army smaller than that of a country 1/100 our size??
Defending against what?

T. Rex said:

The jobs being lost now to Mexico and the third world are killing the livelyhoods of people across Canada and the United States. We need a change, I agree with that.
For your information: many people in third world countries don't even have livelyhoods. It seems that some people are not aware of the fact that 3 billion (3,000,000,000) people in this world live on 2 dollars or less a day; that every day, 24,000 people die of starvation; that more than 800 million people in this world are underfed. But of course, that's less important than some Westerners (not only North Americans) losing their job. Huray with global unity ... :roll:

fubbleskag

noYOUshutup
Sep 10, 2004
Indiana, IN
www.speedofwood.com
Re: RE: Improving & Reforming Your Canada

T. Rex said:

I agree with this.
i'd be surprised if anyone on here disagrees that our relations with the US are shite. however, who is elected plays the largest role in repairing those relations - the betterment needs to come from the US side, not from our own.

T. Rex said:

We need to improve Canada for the whole world. Mending the relationship with the USA is my first priority.
at this point, the more we can distance ourselves from the US, the better our relations ship with the whole world will be.

T. Rex said:

Definately. Canada and the US are two the same. We live with and prosper off of each other.
only in so-far as it's convenient for the US; integration requires respect, of which there is none.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
The only thing that's good about integration with the United States doesn't even involve Canadians. It's all about more profits and a further reach in the corporate world. If you think it's good to be integrated with the USA, T-Rex, then you must like being controlled even more by the US government and big business.

Jillyvn

Electoral Member
Sep 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
T. Rex said:
Do you want to see:

Spend More on Military?

I disagree with a large portion of what I read on this site, but I will comprimise and get to know some things in common.

Hey T-Rex, I'm happy to contribute. It's always good to have a differing opinion on the forum, otherwise the conversation gets dull. I'll take your question point by point.

Better Relations with the US: For me, it's not regardless of who is elected. A Bush Re-Election? No. Definately not. Canada needs to set itself apart from the US and distance itself politically if there is another Bush term. A Kerry Election? Sure, we can begin to rebuild relations when there isn't a lunatic in office.

Better relations with the European Union: I'm not informed enough to comment intelligently on this, but I will say I like the idea of maintaining a good relationship with the world in general. Isolationism in a global economy is folly.

Throw out or Embrase Kyoto? In Alberta, this is likely to get me yelled at, but I embrace Kyoto. It isn't the be all and end all of environmental reform but it is an important first step. So it will cost us money, aren't we running a surplus?

A revamped Healthcare System? Yes, but not two tier. I think that the bureaucracy needs to be trimmed, we need to pay our doctors better so that they don't run off to the US, and enforce the usage of the emergency room system so it isn't abused.

Proportional Representation? From the very little I know, this seems like a good idea. Again, I'm woefully ignorant in this regard.

Spend More on Military? Absolutely not. We need to completely revolutionize what we need our military for, and refocus the spending we already have.

Yes, of course. Can't imagine anyone disagreeing with this one.

Further Integration with the United States? Oh NO! No way. We need to maintain our separate and Canadian identity.

As for the last one, that is a whole other kettle of fish.

Hope this answers your questions.

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004
Province perdue du Canada, Louisian
I see very little difference between the Canada and the US except
for Currency and Postage stamps when I return to visit friends
and family.

Get closer? The Acadiens here in Louisiana are trying to keep our culture, our teachers are from Quebec and New Brunswick.
Canadian TV and Radio is everywhere AND our children think
we should re-elect Chertien!! 8)

Being Canadians in exile is hard, trying to keep the masses at
bay is difficult. THINK ACADIEN< PENSE ACADIEN! :idea:

From the Lost Province

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Martin,

Is there really that much of an interest in Canada down there in Louisiana? I've found that there is more of a "proud to be American" type of idea than a "want to be part of Canada" going on. Ofcourse, there's a lot of southern Americans who aren't originally from Louisiana who convey the message of being more American than there is a real Louisianais who have more of a separatist feeling.

Sorry, I'm just ranting now ;) </rant>

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

No. If a president cannot or will not abide by international law and makes the world a more dangerous place, they do not deserve good relations with us. It does not matter who that president is, what party he is with, or who his friends are; we either support international law and multi-lateralism or we cease to exist as a sovereign nation.

Certainly. Canada has at least as much in common with the EU we do with the US.

Two words...Romanow Report.

Certainly. L'il Stevie Harper and his Reform/Alliance/Conservative Party have backed away from this though.

::: Throw out or Embrase (sic)Kyoto?

Embrace it. We need to preserve our environment. We need to mitigate the effects of global warming. Kyoto is also an engine that can create jobs and new technology and if Ralph Kline is too much of a luddite to see that, too bad for him. Technological change has always created new wealth, there is no reason to think that environmentally friendly technologies would not do the same.

Yes, but not in the way that the Conservatives are suggesting. Canada needs to take part in more peace-keeping operations and we need to enforce our sovereignty in the north. The equipment and training required for that are quite different than what is needed to follow the US around as cannon fodder for George Bush's imperialit adventures.

Depends what the officials are on trips for. They should be allowed the same kind of expense accounts and perks that people in similar positions of responsibility in private industry get. From my experience that will cost us more, not less, though.

Not a chance. We are already far too integrated with the US and it is hurting us badly.

Definitely. The first thing we should do is dump NAFTA and begin talks to start up a Fair Trade Area of the Americas. The US can join up as a junior partner later, but their predatory trade practices of the past should cause them to be excluded initially.

All trade agreements should include environmental standards, human rights standards, labour and wage standards, and an ongoing plan to bring new trading partners up to UN compliance in all of these areas. If they cannot meet compliance within a specified period, they should be excluded until they do.

eastcoastrob

Nominee Member
Sep 23, 2004
Saint John, New Brunswick
Reverend Blair said:

No. If a president cannot or will not abide by international law and makes the world a more dangerous place, they do not deserve good relations with us. It does not matter who that president is, what party he is with, or who his friends are; we either support international law and multi-lateralism or we cease to exist as a sovereign nation.

Certainly. Canada has at least as much in common with the EU we do with the US.

Two words...Romanow Report.

Certainly. L'il Stevie Harper and his Reform/Alliance/Conservative Party have backed away from this though.

::: Throw out or Embrase (sic)Kyoto?

Embrace it. We need to preserve our environment. We need to mitigate the effects of global warming. Kyoto is also an engine that can create jobs and new technology and if Ralph Kline is too much of a luddite to see that, too bad for him. Technological change has always created new wealth, there is no reason to think that environmentally friendly technologies would not do the same.

Yes, but not in the way that the Conservatives are suggesting. Canada needs to take part in more peace-keeping operations and we need to enforce our sovereignty in the north. The equipment and training required for that are quite different than what is needed to follow the US around as cannon fodder for George Bush's imperialit adventures.

Depends what the officials are on trips for. They should be allowed the same kind of expense accounts and perks that people in similar positions of responsibility in private industry get. From my experience that will cost us more, not less, though.

Not a chance. We are already far too integrated with the US and it is hurting us badly.

Definitely. The first thing we should do is dump NAFTA and begin talks to start up a Fair Trade Area of the Americas. The US can join up as a junior partner later, but their predatory trade practices of the past should cause them to be excluded initially.

All trade agreements should include environmental standards, human rights standards, labour and wage standards, and an ongoing plan to bring new trading partners up to UN compliance in all of these areas. If they cannot meet compliance within a specified period, they should be excluded until they do.

Whoever thinks the good Reverend voted Liberal in the last election say "AYE". Just kiddin'.
Athough some of what you said sounds like direct quote from Paul Martin I agree with you on every count. How many does it take for a consensus?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Whoever thinks the good Reverend voted Liberal in the last election say "AYE". Just kiddin'.
Athough some of what you said sounds like direct quote from Paul Martin I agree with you on every count. How many does it take for a consensus?

I've never voted Liberal in my life, Rob. I'm proud of that. :lol: The thing to remember is that the Liberals run from the left and govern from the right. They need to be judged on their actions and Paul Martin has a long record of doing the wrong things and supporting the wrong people and positions.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Reverend Blair said:

I've never voted Liberal in my life, Rob. I'm proud of that. :lol: The thing to remember is that the Liberals run from the left and govern from the right. They need to be judged on their actions and Paul Martin has a long record of doing the wrong things and supporting the wrong people and positions.

That's exactly why Canada refused to give him a majority government. Let's say Jean Chretien was still in power, I'm sure we'd have another liberal majority.

Some Canadians see who and what Paul Martin really is, and they've spoken. Let's hope we get some changes Canada needs in the meantime.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Improving & Reforming

I don't think he'll be around for long, Andem. His father was respectable man who fought to make things better. Paul is a disrespectable man fighting to enrich himself. People see the difference.

Jillyvn

Electoral Member
Sep 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Re: RE: Improving & Reforming

Reverend Blair said:
I don't think he'll be around for long, Andem. His father was respectable man who fought to make things better. Paul is a disrespectable man fighting to enrich himself. People see the difference.

Paul scares me a little. I think what was said about the liberals running from the left and governing from the right is true. Paul is too cozy with the US. That said, I'm really proud of him for having the balls to stand up to the UN and demand action in the Sudan. That's about the only relevant thing he has done since taking office.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Improving & Reforming

He forgave a lot of African debt too...He had to or Bono would've kicked his ass.

He only took the stance on the Sydan after the US said it was okay, Jillyvn. Unfortunately Martin has pledged much to Sudan.

There's an oil angle there too, which is what got the US involved...Sudan has some and presently China is key in developing it.

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004
Province perdue du Canada, Louisian
Re: RE: Improving & Reforming Your Canada

Andem said:
Martin,

Is there really that much of an interest in Canada down there in Louisiana?

We originated from Nova Scotia, our ties are to the Maritimes
like you would not believe!!!!!!!

Notre héritage est similiar, notre langue est similiar et nos noms de famille sont acadiens, nous sont la tribu perdue du Canada.
{Our heritage is similiar, our language is similiar and our family names are Acadian, we are the lost tribe of Canada.]

I've found that there is more of a "proud to be American" type of idea than a "want to be part of Canada" going on.

Only in the Boston Tea Party Circles, which we weren't a participant. Southern Louisiana is Culturally similiar to the
Maritimes since we originated from the Maritimes but are
unable to return due to current immigration policies.
1755 was a *itch and we were removed in the largest
act of Genocide and Ethnic Cleansing carried out in
North America :cry: The Mic-maq and Acadian people have
refused to die and roll over. Je me souviens.

Ofcourse, there's a lot of southern Americans who aren't originally from Louisiana who convey the message of being more American than there is a real Louisianais who have more of a separatist feeling.

The ANGLAIS TEXIEN as they are called made us kneel in Rice
when we spoke French in School, practiced racism on us and forced us to labor as slaves (no or low pay). We just got the upper hand here in Southern Louisiana and the Renaissance of Acadien
Culture is taken hold. French is back in our School, at church,
in Government Meetings, (Louisiana is Tri-lingual, English, French and Spanish are legal languages!) and La Louisianais soyez fier de leur héritage d'Acadien !

NOW I RANT!

WE ARE PART OF CANADA"S HERITAGE!

Sorry, I'm just ranting now ;) </rant>

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec

I don't support better relations with a megalomaniac, religious zealot and outright idiot. *cough* Bush *cough* When a respectable man will be in office, I will support better relations, to the same level as the relitions with have with other Countries.

We have more in common with the EU then we do with America (At least its the Case for the people of Québec). The relationship at this point is quite good, and lets hope it continues to grow. I would love to see stronger trade ties between Canada and the members of the EU though. It would decrease our dependance on trade with America.

Change is needed. To what extent? Anyones guess is quite good. The Romanov report, is the most descent one. My long term solution to the problem, would be that the Federal goverment gives full control over income tax and sales taxes to the provinces.

Yes!

Kyoto is the biggest start to making our enviroment cleaner, thus making everyone healthier. Decreasing the burden on our health care system. If anything, Canada has the most to gain in such treaties. It might have short term effects on the economy. But long term, the possibilities are endless.

Spend More on Military?

No. We need to prioritise where we spend, and how it is spent. Spending 1 billion$ on out of date subs, isnt the brightest way to spend the militaries budget.

We need to eliminate the governor general and all links to the British crown. It serves nothing, and costs us billions each year.

Are you crazy? I don't feel american to any degree. I also don't feel anything in common with Americans. Why would we want that?

Yes! But whats the use of reform, when the partners involve don'T follow suit. America ignoring the ruling of NAFTA. So many other examples of American goverments ignoring trade agreements. We need more treaties, with different countries. Lets drop this trade dependancy on America.

ajstyles

Oct 9, 2004
I would not presume to intrude on Canadian Politics, but to distance oneself from the Kyoto agreement, or to reject it, is to damn the world to an earlier demise than if we lived in the Stoneage i.e. we will not have several more thousand years to go!

Maybe a couple of hundred - if we should live that long.