Canada keeps sucking up the US

Isengard

Electoral Member
By DARREN YOURK
Globe and Mail Update

E-mail this Article E-mail this Article
Print this Article Print this Article
Advertisement

Defence Minister Bill Graham was pressed Thursday on the heated debate over possible Canadian participation in a continental missile-defence shield with the U.S., one day after he described negotiations on the matter as "a top priority."

During a speech to Toronto's Royal Canadian Military Institute late Wednesday, Mr. Graham said ballistic missile defence might assist the government in its "fundamental responsibility to protect Canadians" and stressed the need for Canada to "maintain a close working relationship with our American neighbours."

Mr. Graham denied reporter suggestions Thursday that those comments indicate that Canada has little choice but to join the program.

"There's no change in policy — we have a choice whether we join it or not," Mr. Graham said after a cabinet meeting. "What I said is that as Defence Minister, I'm in favour or pursuing those negotiations. It's exactly what I said in the House of Commons before when I was the Foreign Minister."

Prime Minister Paul Martin shrugged off similar questions, saying Mr. Graham's speech contained nothing new and reiterating that no final decision on a possible Canadian role has been made.

"He said nothing he hasn't said in the past," Mr. Martin told reporters. "These are ongoing discussions, and eventually there will be a cabinet decision."

Mr. Graham took issue with critics who have labelled the program "Star Wars" saying the U.S. plan has nothing to do with putting weapons in space.

"It's a program that is ground-based -- land-based and possibly sea-based,'' he said.

The Defence Minister also deemed the missile shield a North American issue, saying the federal government owes it to its neighbour to the south to hold serious talks on the matter.

"This is a matter of North America, and I think we owe it to them to discuss with them whether or not it is appropriate for Canada to participate," Mr. Graham said. "We're doing that, and when we're finished we'll be able to discuss this in Parliament. Everybody will be perfectly familiar with exactly what is at stake."

The discussion in Parliament would be contentious, with NDP Leader Jack Layton already vowing not to mute his party's staunch opposition to Canada's participation in a missile defence system.

The Bloc is also against the plan, while the Conservatives support Canadian participation in the program.

In early August, Mr. Graham announced that the role of NORAD — the joint Canada-U.S. military organization with headquarters in Colorado — is now the transmission of radar and satellite monitoring to the U.S. command responsible for the missile-defence system.

Mr. Graham rejected speculation that the move was an inevitable step toward Canada's participation in the missile shield, saying it was a necessary step to preserve the possibility that Canada can participate if it chooses to.

Here's the link : http://www.theglobeandmail.com/../BNStory/National/

We will keep sucking them until Bush tells Martin that they are friends again and that we can travel south with meat spaghetti sauce without some custom officer throwing it in the garbage because of mad cow. I wish we would stand our ground with the US and show them that we're not a bunch of yes men losers. :roll:

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
ALl I will say is big, big mistake.

Do you actually think if we spend billions of dollars on this star wars missile defense program, that we will have any more protection than we did before? I seriously doubt it. I have big doubts about whether such a program would even work, and if it did, how long it will take "enemies" to develope something to dupe this new "star wars" system.

Isengard

Electoral Member
RE: Canada keeps sucking

I heard somewhere, don't remember where and when so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, that even the CIA thought the idea of the current missile defense system completely outdated, so why go on with this project?? We laready have NORAD, which wasn't able to prevent any planes crashing on 9/11.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Well, yeah.

It's definately an outdated idea and I can't see how missiles in space will save the continent from any attacks. I'm sure that if it was operational, our "enemies" would have plenty of ways to get around it.

It might just be another contract for arms manufacturers in the United States to make a quick buck. Come on, they're already selling weapons again to Iraq.

T. Rex

Nominee Member
Star wars could be a good thing.

Sure they will always look for and find ways to get around the defenses but the US will always be upgrading the computer software that powers these missile defense lasers. Atleast give us all a chance if China or N. Korea or other rogue nations decide to fire missiles our way.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Canada keeps sucking

Maybe they can upgrade that software all the way to the point where physics change and the idea actually become feasible. According to Association of Canadian Physicists, right now it isn't.

This is all a ploy because Martin lacks the balls to stand up to the US and say, "No, thank you. Canada has a long history of opposing the weaponisation of space and has signed international conventions against such actions."