Svend Robinson...

Error

Aug 7, 2004
Svend Robinson gets off with a slap on the wrist and some community work. He got a sentence like he stole a CD at Radio Shack. He pocketed a $50,000 diamond.

This is the type of horsecrap that makes me want to scream. He's high profile alternative lifestyler that commited a felony. Now, with his little community service and his little bargain by his laywer, and a stupid assed wimp of a judge, Svend won't even get saddled with a criminal record.

I'm so fed up I'm moving to Mars.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand. Our criminal system is not based on vengeance it is based on rehabilitation.

Svend is extremely unlikely to re-offend, has mental health problems, and has the full support of people around him.

In similar circumstances with a similar case you would have gotten a similar sentence. Actually you would have gotten off more lightly...your name and face wouldn't be all over the press and you wouldn't have people who refuse to understand reality screaming for your head on a platter.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I agree with the rev on this one. Its just like martha stewart, just how much blood do you want. The man made a huge mistake for whatever reasons. He stepped up to the plate, he took responsibilty for it and accepted his punishment from the laws of our land.

He didn't hire a team of lawyers and waste taxpayers money on a circus. Maybe thats what upsets people most, the fact there will be no circus to entertain. Why does Svend have to be destroyed, his mistake does not define who he is or all the good things he has done. Wow! we would all be in big trouble if we were only judged on the mistakes we made in life. Don't kid yourself we all have made them, we just did not have to see on the front page of every newspaper in canada. Punishment enough if you ask me.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Error said:
Svend Robinson gets off with a slap on the wrist and some community work. He got a sentence like he stole a CD at Radio Shack. He pocketed a $50,000 diamond.

This is the type of horsecrap that makes me want to scream. He's high profile alternative lifestyler that commited a felony. Now, with his little community service and his little bargain by his laywer, and a stupid assed wimp of a judge, Svend won't even get saddled with a criminal record.

I'm so fed up I'm moving to Mars.

Most citizens, with no criminal record, would get exactly the same thing.

donvonbra

Aug 7, 2004
Quebec

Would they? Robinson had access to one of the top defence lawyers in Canada. If the defendent had been an average joe with a legal aid lawyer would he have been treated the same? The judge seems to have been influnced by the damage done to Robinson's career. Could that have been a factor in sentencing?

dvb.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
donvonbra said:

Would they? Robinson had access to one of the top defence lawyers in Canada. If the defendent had been an average joe with a legal aid lawyer would he have been treated the same? The judge seems to have been influnced by the damage done to Robinson's career. Could that have been a factor in sentencing?

dvb.
Had no effect on the sentencing. He admitied to his crime. An everyday Citizen would of gotten less.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
There is a definite problem with poverty and/or race leading to stiffer sentences in this country, Dovonbra. No doubt about that.

That being said though, I've seen decidedly middle class people who can afford only run-of-the-mill lawyers get similar sentences for similar, sometimes worse, offences.

This thing had taken all the permutations of a witch hunt before it hit the news broadcasts. Editorials were being scribbled before most of us knew what happened.

Many on the far right wanted to use this to crucify Robinson and even tried to extend it to crucify anybody who stood even slightly to the left of Stephen Harper. They went after every cause that Robinson had ever been involved in. Some even hinted that it had to do with sexual orientation.

The witch hunt didn't go as planned though. Svend didn't go to jail and is not going to have a criminal record. He will do his community service and will have paid his debt to society.

That really angers the far right. So now we have to listen to even more sour grapes over that.

If you are concerned about the disparity between the justice that rich and poor receive, I suggest you contact some social activists. Maybe send Svend a letter...he is known for championing causes like that.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
legal aid lawyer? Can anybody get one of those now days? Not in the province of British Columbia. The convicted felon who runs this province made waste of that.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
We still have them here, Peapod. Over-worked and inefficient, but that's a reflection of the system not the lawyers who work in it.

Norway

Aug 9, 2004
He should not have done jail time but he should have a criminal record. He has called others to account often--he did the deed

undergradNITZ

Electoral Member
Aug 6, 2004
Toronto
this i think is not stealing in a way...ok

but it HAS happened to everyone!

i was waiting inline to pay for some chips...there was a lady in front of me and she paid with a $50 and the lady gave her back a $20 and a $5...when the lady was puttin the 20 and 5 in her pocket she droped the 20 and i didnt notice it so i payed and when i was walking away the casher was like sir..i think u droped a a $20 bill..i was like o..k... i bent down picked it up and walked away...then when i was 3 blocks from my house i found a $10 bill lol...

donvonbra

Aug 7, 2004
Quebec
That being said though, I've seen decidedly middle class people who can afford only run-of-the-mill lawyers get similar sentences for similar, sometimes worse, offences.

I have no reason to doubt that but what annoys me right now is that one of our local radio stations is currently having a dump-on-Sven program. Allegations that he had got preferential treatment are being made but with no supporting evidence whatsoever. Not even the presence of a criminal lawyer who might be able to shed some light on the sentencing.

dvb

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Dvd I guess that what we have judges for. They are better able to make decsions based on the laws of the land instead of emotions. In a way we should be grateful for that, otherwise svend would have been lynched by now. What really gets me is the hoppla made over svend, when the premier of this province can still keep his job even tho he is a convicted drunk driver, carneening down the road at 70 miles a hour three sheets to the wind. I would like to know who paid for the full page ad in the province praising the felon when all this happened.

You can see the experience really taught him something, now wanting to leave bars and clubs open till 4 am. When are we suppose to get some sleep in this province?

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Well now that stress is a perfectly good excuse for committing crimes I'm sure our legal system will be even more weighted down. It's been all over the radio stations lately, "If I get caught stealing a car or anything else I'm gonna plead stress made me do? A prescendent has been set and to me, IMO, that is scary.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Except that unless you're an upstanding citizen and have no previous record...the type that wouldn't steal a car in the first place...that defense doesn't work, Bevvyd.

Svend's previous run-ins with the law were because of political causes...something that actually shows community responsibility. His public record was extremely good...involved with various charities and so on. Those who came forward to speak of his good character were similarly upstanding. He also came forward on his own, cooperated fully with the police, and exhibited honest remorse.

What he did was out of character for him and made absolutely no sense in any context beyond the official explanation.

That's not quite the same as somebody stealing a car and looking for an excuse when they get caught.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
RB

You don't have to be an "upstanding" citizen, just one with no record. And that too would be out of character for that person.

As for Svends' previous run ins with the law being community responsibility. I beg to differ. Helping someone commit suicide is not a community responsibility. And just for the record I am in favor of euthenasia (sp? especially in a case like Sue Rodriguez's). He's also been involved in alot of protests for various causes some legal some not so. He's always been a renegade politician.

And he only came forward when he knew he was going to get caught. And if you think all the tears he shed make it AOK, its not. He stole a very expensive ring for his boyfriend after visiting a jewellery store not 1 week prior to this incident looking for a ring, but the one he chose he said was "too expensive". Hmmm.

But no matter what you or I think that is the chatter all over the radio out here and I have no doubt some potential criminals will use this as the basis of their defense.

As I said, the prescedent has been set and that's what our laws tend to follow.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Bevvy, Svend is all over the radio here as well, and I agree with you on the Sue issue. At least we have some fun with our politicians here on the island. The latest being the liberal mla in oak bay. Seems people are sneaking into her neighbourhood late at night and start banging on pots and pans in her yard, to get her out of bed, its making her real cranky and she wants something done about it.
I got a real chuckle out of the young homeless people that hang around downtown, they started a vegetable garden on the lawn of the parliament buildings, I had to ride the bike down to see that one! security was called in to dismantle it and haul off the muchkins, one was trying to get naked as part of his protest, moe was out there signing autographs for giggling females. Only on the island can you see this kind of stuff.
My favorite one of all time is the crown prosecutor in Port alberni shit faced at the bowling alley in Port. Like I said Red neck.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
When you said that it happens to everyone, this may be true. It happens to kids, 5 or 6 stealing a chocolate bar from Mac's Milk or a pack of bubble gum.

A 50.000$ diamond ring is totally different. I don't need to explain why.

I don't see why he should get any different treatment from an average low-profile person who co-operated.