Multiculturalism.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
What are the tenets of the faith behind the doctrine of multiculturalism, and what have been the consequences of its adoption as policy by the government in Ottawa? How has it been influential in the formation, or reformation, of attitudes? Who has materially benefited, and has anyone been injured by it? How has it affected the status of indigenous peoples? Has this policy influenced debate on the question of Quebec national sovereignty?

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Excellent questions, AV! I think we benefit greatly with multiculturalism. Canada is greatly enriched by the diverse people with their cultures that bring so much more to the snapshot of what it is to be Canadian.

I think, though, that it has failed the indigenous people. We just don't seem to be able to get it right, we fail to understand them, to have empathy for them, to be willing to fight for them. I don't understand why, but there exists a blatant hostility to these people, a contempt that prevents any kind of mutually beneficial solution.

As for Quebec, I'm sure not touching upon that subject again.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
I think I heard this on the CBC, the program "As It Happens," one evening. Some wag said, "Native Canadians, offered the benefits of multiculturalism, said they would have none of it."

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
I truly believe the philosophy behind multiculturalism is the notion of 'One for all and all for one'.

The idea that we are all part of a greater good and thus contribute to it is a noble one.

Question is, can we enforce that idea and where's the balance between the greater good and the right's of the individual.

I actually believe that the inherent conflict of multiculturalism is a good one. Constant debate on the subject forces us to deal with opposing views, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Darkgrammer

Nominee Member
I think I heard this on the CBC, the program "As It Happens," one evening. Some wag said, "Native Canadians, offered the benefits of multiculturalism, said they would have none of it."

an you believe the television?

I just got one thing to say, a great friend told me once "If your painting, and you use one color, that sucks, but try using yellow, black and brown, and you might start enyoing the painting".

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Sorry darkdude, it's not just television.

Carol Geddes, a Native Canadian, speaking on behalf of "First Nations’ sovereignty"......""There are more than two main cultures in Canada. The First Nations are a main culture."

Then, "Before we talk of distribution of powers, some people are not even let in the door of the forum. We don ’t want to be covered by the term minorities or multiculturalism."