Do you feel threatened by the "terrorist threat?"

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
I live in Columbus, Ohio. There, cat's out of the bag. Last week, the big headline in our local rag was that a Somali national--we have an expat colony of 50,000 Somalis here (lovely people, terrible drivers)--had been in federal custody for some time, and was being considered for indictment on grounds that he is Al-Qaida.

It was reported that a plot had been uncovered to do the nasty at a shopping mall here. They didn't name which one. I will give you my best guess, and it is a credible plot, if at all real. Downtown we have a three-level shopping mall built over an underground parking garage. It was originally designed to have two levels, but once under way, our hotdog drunken mayor, looking over his shoulder at our racketeering redneck governor, gave the green-light to have a third level built. About four years after it opened, the columns in the basement began to show signs of sheer, and needed to be reinforced with steel belts. It doesn't matter now, because the whole place is nearly one-third unoccupied. Anyway, if someone were to park a substantial car-bomb in the basement parking garage, the whole thing would collapse like a proverbial house of cards. It's called the Columbus City Center.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Since our one local Brooks Brothers store moved up to Polaris, I never go down there anyway.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
To answer the question, no. Not at all. Americans in general are the most paranoid people I've ever had the pleasure to speak with. I never think about Terrorism happening here, except maybe a few radical seperatist (The possibility of Baie-D'Urfé Townhall being blown up just a few years ago). Many here, don't fear or even believe its a possibility. I just don't see it happenning.

Before anyone says, no one expected 9/11 to happen either. Well, I for one did. Maybe not 9/11 in itself, but some sort of attack on the US. Tensions between the US and the rest of the world have been going up ever since the USSR crumbled. Something of the sort, was more then expected.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
Re: Do you feel threatened by the "terrorist threat?&qu

I was just a youth at the time, but I clearly remember Separatists claiming responsibility for placing bombs in federal mail service mailboxes in Montreal, back in '68. Wasn't there an Expo or something going on then? And an Olympics? I'm not paranoid about it, but do you feel even a little anxiety? Sometimes, when I drive past the abortion clinic, isolated next to the rail viaduct on Dublin-Granville Road, I wonder if I might not catch a bit of shrapnel through the car window from a bomb planted there by anti-abortion lunatics. One has to wonder, eh?

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Yes, there was an expo... The FLQ (Front de Liberation du Québec) was a radical seperatist group that saw its height threw out the 60's and 70's. Alot of Mail bombs, blew up the Montreal Stock exchange, and kidnaped two individuals in 1970. The group pretty much dissapeared, but is still around. This, all before a political or peaceful mean of seperation existed.

And no, I don't even think about the posibility. Why would I? I have other concerns in my every day life. Other things might happen, like a car accident. I just don't think about them, but sure... might happen.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004

I'm not saying that you ought to have anxiety; I wish I didn't. We had a disturbed young man, a sniper here last year, shooting at cars along a stretch of the south outerbelt. Last week, the authorities finally caught a serial rapist who had been active for 17 years, in the borough just south of mine. Last I heard, the indictment count was up to 137. This thing with the Somali being charged as Al-Qaida has got me wondering. The Department of Homeland Security is regarded as a bit of a joke. The bigger threat is the so-called Patriot Act. Now I think: some bastard just might be crazy enough. . .

I am glad to know your country is up there, Numure. From time to time, I have thought about the possibility of relocating there.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I have to agree with what Numure says.

I don't expect any real big terrorist acts to happen here. Some separatists have blown things up in the past and even attacked people on the streets. Other than some internal problems, we have a pretty safe country.

I, for one, knew something was going to happen before 11.09. Had no idea what, but it was inevitable.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
it did seem inevitable, especially after Oklahoma and the first bombing of the WTC. I would have given even odds on the attack being perpetrated by an American group though. That thought crossed my mind more than once while watching the attack on 9-11. "Is it a bunch of Tim McVeighs or is it somebody else?"

That "somebody else" part is important because, while I was thinking that it could be Islamic fundamentalists, I was also thinking that it could be South Americans from several different groups, East Europeans (again several groups) Africans or Asians (several groups).

The US certainly has no shortage of enemies these days.

As for the original question, I don't worry about terrorism a lot but I certainly don't discount the fact that it could happen here. It could come from outside, possibly as a result to our proximity and alliances to the US. It could come from inside.

I don't worry about it though. If it happens, it happens. Just as with the attack on the WTC we will not be entirely innocent. Hopefully we would learn from it instead of lashing out and making excuses, but I doubt it.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004

I have heard the Canadian people likened to a bowl of vichysoisse, cold and hard to stir. Maybe that's why you good folks have so low a rate of violent crime? :canada: :sign7: :quebec:

"Let your light so shine before men,
so that they might see some kindness again!"

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

There is a little corner store in my neighbourhood which was bought a few years ago by some newly canadians from Iran, or persia as they like to tell me.
They are very friendly kind people and after they get to know you a bit are very open about their beliefs. What I find so astounding is there absolute hatred of the america. The mention of the Word America and they morph into other people. I try not to get into with them because its so intense that frankly it scares me.

I have questioned them about this hatred, and I think there is alot of things that go on and have gone on that we know nothing about, except for what the media tells us.
911, they believe that it was all done by americans, and arabs were framed so bush could start a christian-Islam war. Facts and evidence does not matter to them. I certainly would not want an ememy so determined as they are and honestly very cunning and crafty.
I personally feel America handled this whole thing wrong, and I am afraid its going to come back and bite them over and over again.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
About the Persians, well its quite simple. My brother in law is Persian, and he explained it to me. See, the US supported the Chat, even though he did'nt exerce the will of the people. He was a dictator, in a country that wanted change. No matter what the Chat has been perceived as in the US, he was a horrible dictator, and the US publicly supported him. Thus, it created hole generations (that have lost loved ones because of Chat) that hate America. Hate is thought from parent to child, and thus, we have what we know today.

Similar stories take place, in most middle eastern countries. Thus why, Arabs globaly hate America.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

Exactly! there is a big difference between a young boy or women who want to go to college and get an education, and the easiest way is to join the miltrary. Compare that to someone who is taught intensely from birth who the enemy is and they will be rewarded for killing their enemy in the next life.

I really don't think all the bombs and stealth is going to stop this kind of mindset. The americans cannot compete with this single mindedness. I cannot fathom why they cannot see this.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I think it's because the Americans have convinced themselves, or allowed themselves to be convinced, that, that the 9-11 attacks were committed by people who were simply jealous of them. That's what George Bush's official explanation was, and that's a whole lot easier on the ego than, "Our foreign policies have kept these people poor and oppressed for decades and now they are coming after us."

Those from the Middle East, on the other hand, hear statements like that and become even more angered.

Darkgrammer

Nominee Member
Re: Do you feel threatened by the "terrorist threat?&am

If there was a President that could fly, I would vote for him.

That my friends is how Americans vote on there leaders, it's not about who makes changes, it's all a popularity contest.

Well an Arab is living next door to me, he surely has something to do with Suddam Hussein and Osama.

Another thing Americans lack is information, with the technology of the Television, the Internet, and the Radio you think Americans would be more smart about whats happening instead of pointing fingers at the first Arab, which thus brings me to my next Random American quote....

Today in IEATBRAIN news a local man was spotted wearing a turban, the color alert has been raised to Black, Purple, Green, YELLOW DYE #5!!! Also on other news Iraq Is Evil, Back to you Tom.

America's televisions are polluted with exaggerations of the truth, Many News station want ratings and some are even control by the government, They are payed to scared the public, because what does a scared public do, HE BUYS, BUYS, BUYS. He Consumes so its good for the economy, while the scared sap is out there bying supplies for the Y2 "Big Advertisment" K. Thus brings me to my next quote...

Oh My God?TM!!! Look at that Britney Spears wearing those new BUYMEMORON Shoes, I Must have them!!

Another method of brainwash our government uses to make people consume, is to conform, when you conform, they have you in there grasp blasting you with Advertisements, Subliminal Messeges, and Fake Singers like Britney "Evil Android" Spears. Thus Next Quote...

Come er' ya yellowliver belly man Im gonna shoot you with my new shiny gun!

Another fact that the rest of the earth know is that Americans are the most violent people on earth, with there guns and all, but truth is they are the cowardest thats why one is inpulse to buy a gun, because why, they are afraid, paranoid and culturally deploited. And for my next quote...

Jimmy how many time have I told you not to play that Violent Video Game, You !@$# and @!#!@ and @$##@!!!! Moth@!#!!

or

Your listening to that Satanic music again aren't you, you worship SATAN, I have to disowned you!

What I have seen with my experience is that in fact we are humans, there it is in our blood to kill, to murder, to massacre. Look at our ancestors, all of them came from brutes evolving slowly into what is today a modern generation. But people think well if your going to watch a violent movie, you will become violent, Not at all my friends, on the contrary I have seen thru my experience that those without getting southe out with Rock music or violent video games have a hotter temper. I had this aunt for instance that had a family of 5, her 34, her husband 39, her daughter 13, her nephew 21, and her sister 24. A foster kid was handed to them because they work for fostering kids with mothers who gone bad, n/eways they took the kid in and he was a brat, the first one to spank him and scream at him was my aunt, the second one was my uncle 39, the third one was there nephew he trew the kid a punch caused the kid cried to much, her daughter screamed at the kid and spanked him also, but the only who wasn't losing her temper was her sister, and she took care of the foster kid the most, and you know why he she didn't lose her temper, cause everyday she put on her headphones for 30 minutes and listen to her favorite rock music, and ocassionaly watched violent movies while the rest of the family shunned violent movies. So what did she do to resolve the kids problem of crying, simple when he decided to cry she would turn on her music loud, of course the kid would cry but then silence, she did that everyday until the kid was no longer a brat. And the method she used was music my friends, no not spanking or verbal abuse, but music. Thus which brings me back to the topic, Violent Americans are the ones who taboo violent music or violent movies and its a proven fact. Last quote...

Waiter, Waiter, why the heck are you taking so long, im going to talk to your manager to get you fired!!!

One thing I say to this, don't misjudge a person, first live what they lived and then judge them.

By the way i'm American, but I don't follow the mass.

oh and last thing... Money does buy happiness. :wink: