Michael Moore chimes on Canada's election

bowlingforcanada

Jun 21, 2004
Ottawa
Last Friday, Michael Moore in an interview warned Canada not to become like the U.S. and turn into pseudo-Americans by voting in
Harper and the Conservatives. What do you think of this outsider's view?

http://www.canoe.ca/JamMovies/jun19_moore-sun.html

'Don't go our way': Moore
Filmmaker urges Canadians to reject pro-U.S. Harper
By BRUCE KIRKLAND -- Toronto Sun

TORONTO -- Canadians risk turning into pseudo-Americans if they
vote Stephen Harper and the Conservative Party into office, activist
American filmmaker Michael Moore said yesterday.

"So my silent plea is don't go our way!" Moore said in an interview
yesterday during a hectic day-long Toronto visit to introduce his
controversial documentary, Fahrenheit 9/11, at a special preview
screening for 600 people at the Varsity Cinemas.

"Look, I'm on a lifelong mission to convince Americans to be more
Canadian-like," he said, describing how he grew up in Flint, Mich.,
listening to the CBC and came to admire Canada for its independence,
especially in relation to the Vietnam War.

"I think we'd have a better country if we behaved more like you,"
Moore said. "And the thing that you're in the process of possibly
doing in the next week or two is behaving more like us."

Moore said he fears that Harper is too sympathetic to U.S. President George W. Bush, whom he relentlessly attacks in Fahrenheit 9/11.

Moore's views are no surprise. He counts himself as a spokesman for the left and confesses his primary ambition for his film is to have
an effect on the current U.S. election: "I'd like to remove George
W. Bush from the White House!"

As for Harper, Moore said: "First of all he would put Canadians in
the coalition of the willing. He believes that Canada should be
joining more with the United States instead of trying to be its own
separate thing. And I think he has a big pair of scissors in his
hands, desperate to cut away at the social safety net that you have.

"Why on earth would you do that to yourselves? Why would you want a society that looked like ours? What do you think is so remarkable about the way that we've structured our society, where we have a growing gap between rich and poor, where we have 40 million adult Americans who are functional illiterates because of our educational system? Why would you want to live in more fear as violence and crime increases? That to me makes absolutely no sense. It's like taking a piss on yourself. Why would you want to do that?"

At the same time, Moore said, he knows that Paul Martin and the
Liberals have put themselves in a losing position in the polls
because of scandals. In the U.S., his political position is
compromised, he said, because he is no fan of Democrat John Kerry.

"The blood is also on his hands," Moore said of Kerry's vote in
favour of the U.S. war effort in Iraq. "Now is he remorseful for
that vote? I haven't heard it."

He has far-ranging ambitions for his film, which won the Palme d'Or
as best film at the Cannes in May: "This film is going to be as
relevant next year or two years from now as it is right now."

In Canada, Fahrenheit 9/11 opens on 70 screens in 55 theatres next Friday before widening out to 140 theatres within two weeks.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
He's right, but Harper's core supporters won't listen. They've been busy denigrating Moore ever since Stupid White Men hit the top of the charts.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Reverend Blair said:
They've been busy denigrating Moore ever since Stupid White Men hit the top of the charts.

No surprise there. Harper would, in his role as Bush-Toady, be far worse than Blair ever was. We can only hope that Kerry wins the presidency so that Harper will be a Kerry-Toady instead of a Bush-Toady.

Let's just hope that Canadians wake up, that they suddenly realize what sort of travesty they're voting for if they vote Conservative. A vote for Harper is a vote for stripping Canada of her freedom, her social values, and her all-important separateness from the US.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Reverend Blair said:
I just wish somebody could convince me that a vote for Martin was substantially different.

When is Trudeau's kid going to run for PM?

Which one? One is like his mother, the other is truly Trudeau's son in every sense of the word, young Sasha.

Your point about Martin is dead on. I feel compelled to buy into the concept of 'anyone but Harper' and the best way to ensure that Harper does not get in is to vote for Martin. Aside from which, I feel that Martin is not a bad person but rather a somewhat ineffective person. That doesn't sound nearly as harmful to the country as having Harper as PM. He IS effective, and dangerously so.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Martin managed to get much of his right-Liberal agenda enacted despite working under a centre-left Liberal Prime Minister. His leadership may seem lacking, but don't doubt his effectiveness. He works more by stealth than in the direct way that Harper does, but look at his record.

I do think Harper is more dangerous because of his insanely conservative-Christian social policies, but when it comes to fiscal policy they are both the same.

It was Sasha I heard on the radio, I think. He sounded a lot like his old man, right down to charming the pants off of the young ladies he was speaking too.

Démocrite

Nominee Member
Jun 1, 2004
Trudeau was a moron that almost splitted up the country. That's what you call a national hero? Thanks God is dead.

Trudeau was against ANY nationalism, Quebec AND Canadian nationalisms! One the most pretentious and condescending person Canada has ever experienced.

And it is not because you liked the man then, that you will like the son today. What kind of logic is that? This rationale is fuelled by pure nostalgia out of despair. You might as well come back to monarchy then. Remember when the political leaders were appointed by the King or the Queen? Why not give it a try again?

gnuman

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2002
Montreal, Quebec
Trudeau wasn't the one who nearly caused the country to split up....

Trudeau wanted bilingualism for the whole country so none of this crap would be happening in Quebec. It was the primeministers after Trudeau that didn't believe that that idea was a good one.

The Liberal party nearly lost the country in Quebec because of a weak person in Daniel Johnson and a strong backer in Parizeau\Bouchard in the 90s.

Only good move that the "separatists" ever done was block the Meech Lake Accord.......... Oh and I just love Jean Charest's idea of selling water as a commodity what a f'n moron he is!

ThorsHamburger

May 16, 2004
Also remeber harper is not a true progressive conservative. Those conservatives of past I could respect and trust. They were for conservatives still relatively left leaning.
This new leader is so far to the right its not funny. And in a country like Canada, where a PM has soooo much power we need the most centred moderate leaders possible. IF we were in the US with a grater democratic checks and balances it would be fine but not in Canada where its so much easier for the PM to put in his persoanl agenda.
Im beginning to bleive that Harper is quite the meglomaniac.
I will give Martin as PM a chance. As a minister he was pretty much expected to follow orders.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
ThorsHamburger said:
Also remeber harper is not a true progressive conservative. Those conservatives of past I could respect and trust. They were for conservatives still relatively left leaning.
This new leader is so far to the right its not funny. And in a country like Canada, where a PM has soooo much power we need the most centred moderate leaders possible. IF we were in the US with a grater democratic checks and balances it would be fine but not in Canada where its so much easier for the PM to put in his persoanl agenda.
Im beginning to bleive that Harper is quite the meglomaniac.
I will give Martin as PM a chance. As a minister he was pretty much expected to follow orders.

Ahah! You're very right, they were kind of left-leaning. However, I'm very pleased that they dropped the progressive part from their name. Especially not to confuse elderly voters, but also not to claim to be something they aren't. I personally miss the PC party, but what can you do?? I'm still not sure on who I'm voting for -- there's no CAP candidate in my area (actually, I moved last Thursday to the heart of downtown Toronto; from Uptown... so I'm stuck voting for another MP not in my new area). No I have not changed my drivers license yet!

Michael Moore is pretty cool, he's a little over the edge sometimes, but nevertheless he gets the point out there centre-stage.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
You can always vote for the NDP, Andem. 'm sure Jack won't mind.

Have a look at the Greens though. They are pretty right leaning while remaining progressive if you look at their policies. Not a party I would vote for, but a pretty good option if you are pining for the PCs of Joe Clark.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I ran into my Green Party candidate, actually yesterday. He provided me with some information, a pamphlet and some details about his plans in government services... I would rather vote for the CAP, but alas, no candidate in my riding. I suppose the Greens are my only real option if I can't bare voting for H, L or M.

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
I happened to fall into a conversation with an older gentleman on my way out of Loblaws on Wednesday...

I brought up the energy issue - I KNOW! Get a life! - he then mentioned that I should vote for the Green Party. I agreed.

We spoke and his prediction was exactly as mine is...

2004 - 5% popular vote

200x - 25% seats

200xx - Government

As the truth of the energy transition registers in the public consciousness, the peaceful, orderly and humane energy transition will be the issue of all citizens...

Voting for the GREEN Party now is the beginning of this transition...

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Thing is, it all comes down to your own riding. For example, where we live the Conservative candidate, god forbid, will definitely win. The Liberal candidate is the only one remotely likely to challenge the Conservative candidate, and the only one remotely qualified to do the job.

The NDP candidate is 22 years old with no experience other than attending school. The Green candidate works in a day care centre and again, has little experience to qualify him for political office. Yet the Green party would most decidedly be my choice of conscience... but not locally, for a) he is not qualified to do the job and b) the vote truly is wasted.

What to do... what to do...?

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
Realistically speaking, your local GREEN canadiate won't be elected.

The key right now is for as much as possible over the 2% popular vote for federal funding.

All votes for the GREENS will raise eyebrows and remove the 'stigma' of an 'environmental only' party.

This will legitimize the GREEN Party in the public's conciousness and pave the way for mainstream acceptance - they are not a 'radical - environment only' party (these perceptions are quite wrong but are perpetrated by closed-minded die-hards and the other big-3 parties).

BUT, the GREENS do realize that environment issues are a legitimate concern and will be the forefront of ALL policy in just a few years.

We are on the cusp of a political revolution that Europe and the rest of the world recognized over a decade ago!

GREEN represents sustainability.

GREEN represents the transition... a peaceful, orderly and compasionate future in the face of a declining energy base.