More confused than ever

thoughtful

Jun 7, 2004
I was already confused about the upcoming election. The left seems right and the right seems left. According to popular opinion each candidate is a liar, rogue or scoundrel... each in his own way.
Then I followed a click-through of Blair's and did a quiz. I scored Jack Layton which confused me even more.
Here's what I think, maybe you all can point me at a candidate who's even close.
The government has it's nose in too much stuff. Human rights are rights for all humans. We are spending billions of dollars on thousands of 'special interest groups' who are 'humans' and deserve 'human' rights.
We need to tread more lightly on the Earth. Alternative energy sources, recycling, conservation ...
I believe my dollar is best spent by me although I support totally publicly funded healthcare and security. And in another spritz of hypocrisy, I think security is best maintained by peacekeeping.
I don't mind paying taxes for those three ... healthcare, security and human rights. I do mind paying for umpteen bureaucrats, their staff, councils, advisors etc to decide how to divvy out what's left of my tax dollars after they take their ample paycheque.
The gun registry is just incredibly stupid.
I am appalled at how much money the government makes each time I fill the gas tank of my fuel efficient, inexpensive little car. But I have to ... I need to drive to work so that I can pay taxes. And if I moved into town, I wouldn't be able to grow organic vegetables or produce my own free-range eggs and poultry... or compost ... or build a wind turbine someday.
Right now my most loathed enemy is either Ontario Hydro or Dalton McGinty ... it's a toss up.
I believe if you take care of everything for somebody, they'll become more dependent on you. If we are given responsibility, we become more responsible.
I believe that there will always be idiots.
Oh yes, and I'm a born again Christian.

Vincent_2002

Electoral Member
Mar 27, 2002
Montréal, Quebec
Take a peek around this place thoughtful. You can find some info about both parties.... but I'd say forget about them both and vote for a smaller party. I'm not a separatist and I will vote for Bloc, you are in Ontario so maybe you can vote for green party or ndp? dunno.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
It sounds to me like you need to check out the NDP, Greens, and CAP more closely, Thoughtful. Don't believe all of those tax and spend rumours you hear...most on the left want to increase taxes for the extremely wealthy and cut off corporate welfare, but for the majority of us, our taxes would stay the same or be reduced. If you are a member of the working poor, earning less than $17,000/year, you would pay no federal income tax.

We are very likely to end up with a minority government this time so the smaller parties will have more sway. It is also possible that we'll see a referdum for changing to a system of proportional representation.

I won't tell you who to vote for, but keep in mind that no single party is likely to match your views 100%. The best thing to do is find the party that best matches your views and vote for them. Don't be afraid to call your local constituency offices and ask questions either, but make sure the answers match those of the parties' platforms.

Cyberm4n

Electoral Member
Jun 6, 2002
Toronto
whatever you do, go out there and vote for the party that you think is less evil. lots of choices, so get out there and do it!