Should Canada Fund this Cure for Cancer???

joellewoodruff

Jun 4, 2004
Toronto
For those of you who don't know very much about stem cell research it has been a controvercial issue (particularly in the United States) for some time. It is controvercial for two reasons 1. The research uses human embryos which many poeple concider to be human beings even at that early stage (for this reason this issue often goes hand in hand with many abortion issues) and secondly because it is through this reaserch that many of the advances in clonning has become reality.
The thing is that this reasearch will be able to cure many people of TERRIBLE diseases like Cancers, Diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, MS and many other things. It will heal millions of people of what was previously thought to be uncurabl diseases.
In the United States stem cell reasearch had been banned by the United States government until former President Ronald Reagan was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease. Watching her husband's depletion Nacy Reagan went to President George W. Bush telling him that stem cell research could save her husband's life! So the United States changed their policy and now back funding of stem cell reaserach.
How do you think Canada should deal with this issue? Many people have been opposed to it for fears of clonning, killing embryos that are already human beings or being the research is just so new. Concidering the possibilities this reasearch possess should Canada provide funding for stem cell proects, stay neutral or ban the use of stem cell research???

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
>>>The thing is that this reasearch will be able to cure many people of TERRIBLE diseases like Cancers, Diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, MS and many other things. It will heal millions of people of what was previously thought to be uncurabl diseases. <<<

The fact of the matter is A) the planet cant sustain the survival of millions of people, its basically on its last legs now, and B) there is a certain "elite" group that is currently working on reducing the worlds population by upto 2/3s by any means neccessary..............I trust you heard Donald Rumsfeld refer to us ummmm people as "useless eaters".

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
We should definitely fund stem cell research. The potential benefits are too great and the spectre of cloning humans can be controlled at another level, although that is a separate discussion.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
First off, there is no guarantee that stem cell research will cure all those diseases. It is a promising possibility only.

Reagan, incidentally, was suffering from Alzheimers WHILE HE WAS STILL IN OFFICE. Quite obvious if you watch his performance for the last year or two while he was still in the White House.

That said, there is no reason for stem cell research to be banned. Although I expect Mr Harper will try to do away with it.

Koga Ringo

Jun 9, 2004
I think before we start curing every deadly disease known to man, we have to cure the the Earth of pollution first.

If not, then humans will kill themselves out before we get off this planet.

Koga Ringo

Jun 9, 2004
LuShes said:
Koga Rigo, we will be our own fate most certainly. Unless we get lucky and an asteroid hits us first... I don't think it matters, we are just a ticking time bomb, no matter what humans touch we seem to destroy.

No kidding.
LoL, by the way, my name is Koga Ringo, but its all good!