Harper gaining support in polls

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
After watching some news coverage last night on CBC and CTV, I'm scared on the election outcome now! The conservatives are gaining more now-ex-liberal voters than I had expected. Though Jack Layton was very clear in stating that "Paul Martin and Stephen Harper are reading from the same page"..

And yes, Numure.. I caught the repeat of Jack Layton from Vancouver on CBC last night... Great point he made, Canadian law is above God's law! Tabarnac :)

Maybe this article should go into politics forum... (Now Moved)

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
His platform is very intresting. I would vote for him, if he had any chance here. But I'm voting for the bloc. Oh and might I add that I live in Martin's conscription.

Démocrite

Nominee Member
Jun 1, 2004
Jack Layton did a great job last night on CBC. He looks very optimistic and I like his firm stance on controversial issues. He stood firm yesterday when a Christian fanatic wanted to know whether he supports homosexual marriages. He said yes in spite of public opinion conflicting.

It's easy to tell he is a man of integrity. He is a man and not a wimp.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Yep heh. But doesnt public opinion support Jack's stance? I don't remember Canadian polls, but in Québec, support for Gay Marriage is in the majority.

Danny

Jun 3, 2004
If we got rid of the Bloc and created a EASTERN party that included the Maritime provinces... I think Canada would a great political party system...

We would have EAST , Central and West.. Not just left right or french...

Any comments?

Bill Gibbons

Jun 5, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Hello All,

New member here. Interesting topics! Good to see some Canadians in here with opinions, although it's tough sometimes to remain objective without slamming others who dare to differ.

Now, where do I start?

Ok, first off, I'm voting for the Conservatives. Secondly, I am pro-liife, and third, yes I am even (gasp, crime of crimes) a Christian!

Now before some of you condemn me as a right wing Bible bashing fundie Christian fanatic nutbar, (its so easy to call people names, isn't it?) let me say that I AM respectful of other peoples views and opinions even if I disagree.

In a democracy like Canada (or rather, what's left of it) we all have the right to disagree and vote for whom we please. Before I emigrated here (from Scotland), members of my own family were DEEPLY upset with me for voting for Margaret Thatcher. Well, old Maggie is long gone and my family aren't too upset with me anymore. Starting off in Toronto, I voted for the then Canadian Alliance and got cold-shouldered by people in the office because of it. You know, those nice Liberal/NDP voters who demand tolerance and respect, not that I got much of that myself because I dared to vote for a Christian politician.

As for our current election, it seems that anything could happen. Either way, we could easily end up with either a minority Conservative government or a minority Liberal government. But, a lot could happen in the next four weeks.

Have a good weekend everyone,

Bill Gibbons

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Your opinion is well respected here, Bill, especially when you state it like that! We are all entitled to our vote, and whoever you vote for this election, we'll probably have a minority government either way.. There are, ofcourse, still a few weeks left until election day -- so time will tell.

I think it is a common misconception when people say they don't want to vote for a Christian politician. The thing most of us here are against is bring your religous views into politics. They are just a thing of the past in politics, and in no way should religion reflect laws and debates in the house!

That said, there are a lot of non-christians in this country, and I'm one of them. I was actually raised protestant, but far from protestant. I'm agnostic, so my views may seem kind of anti-religion. I still live by "Christian values" from time to time, but things like equal rights and such are things I will not live by the bible. Don't steal from people, don't lie to people and be kind to your fellow man <-- I agree with that! And I live by that.. That's as far as it goes.

And finally, welcome to Canadian Content Community! Hope you enjoy your time here, so if you have any questions or such, just ask in community support :D

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Welcome! As Andem said, you are allowed to your opinion, as is everyone. What makes me mad, is how some voice their opinion. You though, voice it in a matter that deserves respect and thought on.

I'm Athiest btw, though some could say I'm raised with Catholic Values. My parents are both Atheist, but the Catholic religion has had such a great influence on my culture, that its impossible for any born and raised Québécois to say they don't have some Catholic values.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The problem isn't with religion, Bill. My MP, Bill Blaikie, is a minister. He has deeply held Christian beliefs. Chretien is a Catholic, a fairly pious one by most accounts. Neither tries to force their personal beliefs on a majority of Canadians, and nobody is afraid of it happening.

The Reform/Alliance/Conservatives have a history of trying to legislate their own peculiar morality on the the rest of us though. Look at Harper's recent non-stand on abortion and refusal to say that he will not prevent some in his party from introducing private member's bills. Look at those two men being beaten with placard sticks for asking for a clarification on Harper's stance on gay marriage...a question on an issue being met with violence.

Those of us who grew up watching the Reform Party slowly form...it started out as an activist group meeting in church basements and rented halls...are very caeful about these guys. Their reputation for racial and religious intolerance didn't come out of nowhere and it has not disappeared with the changes to the party name.