Abolish the CRTC

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
In Canada one can buy a satellite dish of African and Asian channels, my neighbour has such as dish with 100 channels. My neighbour can watch about 30 sTV stations from Iran. But my brother in law just saw the end of Direct TV in Canada with 1000 American channels. Why? This is discrimination.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Well, Directv is not exactly *legal*. I have no problem with anybody getting around the hu cards and the new security features.

Why should the CRTC allow this American giant into the Canadian market? There's few industries left that are Canadian-only. Satellite, television and telecom are some of those things. I would disagree if diectv was able to move into the Canadian market, especially if they don't follow Canadian Content rules (not this web site, there really are Canadian Content Rules).

Anyhow, why not try dishnetwork?

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
no, The crtc is doing a great job, if anything they need to apply more rules. I find it sad that kids today know more about whats going on in USA then they do in Canada. The crtc is a line of deffence to keep our nation together, to promote national pride. USA is a huge influence and its impossible to compete against such a giant.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Ha ha ha, if you think that abolishing the CRTC will allow Canada to grown further, think again.

No CRTC will only alllow American companies to infiltrate further into our country, not for cultural reasons or providing us with quality programming, but only to make money.

Take an objective step back and look at American media... do we really want to be like them? Full of censorship, not really telling any "news" at all, all culture, pop or not, catering to the lowest-common denominator at all times...

Canada does NOT need to turn out like this... just cos you're bitter that you can't watch MTV shows all the time doesn't mean abolishing the CRTC is a good idea.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Numure said:
So this is the problem Canadians are facing with Americanisation(sp?). Quite funny.

Numure, the whole world faces this problem. But since Canada is so closely tied the United States economically, we're more pulled into this whole scheme of Americanisation. (Yes, that is how I spell it.. Americans and some other people spell it with a 'zed' or "Z")..

In Germany, one of the main news networks is N-TV, which is owned and operated by the world's most slanted and tainted news organisation, CNN!

It's not just a Canadian problem, it exists in Quebec, too. Have you not seen the Simpsons in Québécois?

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Heh, yes I have. It is translated in Québec. Quite different then the France version. Though, Americanisation is not to the same scale here. Québécois artist here are on the top of everything. And english channels have the least of the market share on tv. Let them be Canadian or Amnerican. Our own movies and TV shows are much more popular then any translated show or movie. Just look at the box office for here, or rthe TV ratings. And each are growing every year, as we have more of our own movies and artists. Contrary to the rest of the world, Americanisation is decreasing here.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I would love to see a decrease in Americanisation, Numure. Unfortunately, it's on the rise in the rest of Canada and there's not much there to stop it!

American culture is so cheap!

I actually loved living in Québec, I would move back anytime... the culure is just so amazing and such a change from the rest of Canada. It's small things, though, that you don't notice with Americanisation. I think Quebec is somewhere inbetween European culture and North American culture. They take some of the benefits of American culture, they keep some of their own uniqueness and sort of blend it with some European culture? It's hard to explain, really!

Anyways, I don't really see it as decreasing in Quebec... more of just staying the same and evolving with what they currently have with American culture -- like as we were saying, the Simpsons.

I think that the film culture in Quebec is nothing like anything American yet more like Canadian productions. Not very hollywood and pretty down to earth.

This is all in my experience.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
You have the same opinion as I have always had on my culture. A mix of Europeen and North American influences. Makes us quite unique.

I still stand on the fact that americanisation is decreasing here. Look at the billboards for Québec only. French artist all around. Look a few years back.. maybe a decade.. English artist only, and maybe a few french artist. Our movie industry, is very down to earth. But quite fictional at that. Go see Elvis Gratton 3 (Nothing to do with Elvis btw, just takes a laugh at Americans). Seraphin is a classic... Invasion Barbare is a world wide hit.

Isengard

Electoral Member
Numure said:
Heh, yes I have. It is translated in Québec. Quite different then the France version. Though, Americanisation is not to the same scale here. Québécois artist here are on the top of everything. And english channels have the least of the market share on tv. Let them be Canadian or Amnerican. Our own movies and TV shows are much more popular then any translated show or movie. Just look at the box office for here, or rthe TV ratings. And each are growing every year, as we have more of our own movies and artists. Contrary to the rest of the world, Americanisation is decreasing here.

I just happened to read this post and I must say that I am really sursprised to read you!! You really think that Québec is getting less americanized?? How?? I think Spiderman still makes more money than La Grande Séduction or Les Invasions Barbares... It makes more money than all the Quebec productions put together!! For the music, if you don't count Star Académie, the kids would listen mainly to crap like Britney Spears. We're as much americanized as the rest of Canada. We have Wal-Marts everywhere, people buy most of their clothes from american companies/stores, they buy american cars, they watch american tv, eat american food. I think it's so obvious that we are that much americanized, what makes you think that we are getting less americanized than the rest of the world??

I really don't understand :?:

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
You live in Montreal, meet people from outside. Most of my family watch Radio-Canada, TQS and TVA half the time. Movies wise, you are quite right. American movies win the lot. That most likely won't change. But if you look in the Québec Market alone, many Québec Films are tight competition to American Productions.

Everywhere I go, most have varied musique taste. Sure, clubing is Dance, Hip-hop, techno... But Québec Artist sell alot more albums now, then ever. Radio airs alot more Québec musique. Ours award shows have alot more viewers than any foreign award shows (including Canadian ones). And btw, at any moment of the day, more then 70% of viewers are watching french channels in Québec.

By the way, we buy alot more European and Asian cars then American cars. Eating American food? Are you always eating at a restaurant? I know I don't. And when I do, its at La Belle Province (when I choose fast food).

Isengard

Electoral Member
Numure said:
You live in Montreal, meet people from outside. Most of my family watch Radio-Canada, TQS and TVA half the time. Movies wise, you are quite right. American movies win the lot. That most likely won't change. But if you look in the Québec Market alone, many Québec Films are tight competition to American Productions.

Everywhere I go, most have varied musique taste. Sure, clubing is Dance, Hip-hop, techno... But Québec Artist sell alot more albums now, then ever. Radio airs alot more Québec musique. Ours award shows have alot more viewers than any foreign award shows (including Canadian ones). And btw, at any moment of the day, more then 70% of viewers are watching french channels in Québec.

By the way, we buy alot more European and Asian cars then American cars. Eating American food? Are you always eating at a restaurant? I know I don't. And when I do, its at La Belle Province (when I choose fast food).

I do live in Montreal, but I once lived on the south shore and in Quebec too so I can say that' it's not only relevant to Montreal. You're right about the music here in Quebec but most of the commercial music comes from Other provinces, USA or Europe.

I didn't say that we buy more american cars than from other countries, I just said that they still have a really big market share here in Quebec. It's not like you don't see one every 10 seconds.

About food, I think fast food originates from the USA, hamburgers and hot-dogs are american food. Not just because it's called La Belle Province that it makes it less american food. Btw, most of those Belle province are owned by Greek people.

But I think it's normal to get americanized so much these days, not that I approve, au contraire, but we are always in contact with their products/publicity/marketing/stores. And there's a lot of people out there that see the USA as the best country in the world and they just wait to get their share of it. As long as people will think that american products are better than what we do, it will be just like that.

Later

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Wow! If I was watching 100 different channels and eating an american diet, I would be a fat pig and mentally ill no doubt. British columbians they say are the healthiest people in Canada. I don't know about that, but alot of them are not eating an american diet.

Many of us know who monsanto is and what they are doing to the food chain. Alot of people here, not all, but many do not shop at pandora's pantry and eat frankenstein food. I like to know whats coming for dinner. Even when the american product says the product is organic, I don't believe it, monsanto is in there somewhere. Come on americans eat twinkes for god sakes, did you ever look and see whats in a twinke? they should be using them in war instead of bullets and bombs.

I can't really see what the benefit of so many channels are, most of it is the same crap, although the americans do have some very good broadcasting, PBS for one and HBO. If canada is going to make programs like trailer park boys, which is only funny the first time you watch it and kink, which is bloody sick! and everyone is ugly on it, than they don't get my vote. I would like to see more of things like Atanarjuat the fast runner, which won many awards at cannes and Ararat a little gem. Make more stuff like this Canada.

Bishop

Jul 20, 2009
I just hate being a decade behind the rest of the world when it comes to Television and Radio, getting rid of the American Market is not the answer,this country should be allowing it and honestly Canadian television blows hard all it is is reruns of shows from 3 years ago and the "new" shows we get are 2 years behind what the US is. As an actor there is nothing here for me to get a name out even if I wanted to. Not to say that moving to the U.S will give me that chance, but it is a hell of a lot better than here.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Abolish crtc..yes..speciality/direct tv has taken over..Subscribe to what you like...Public tv is boring(when I even watch it)..Although I respect mulitculturalism ..I can't understand any of it.Pay for cable yet only watch news/ kids watch tree house/cartoons /ytv/tvo kids..Why can't I pay for the channels I want , get rid of the crap..Stop the channel surfin ..My thumb hurts.!..Couple channels for the the kid/ news/ comedy /sci fi /horror /movies for the rest of the family ....Internet is all you need..But whatever you don't try to drop your cable for only internet..Cable companies will run you through loops..make your head spin around...:)

Last edited: