Canadian Energy Policy

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
We don't have one.

That is the crime.

We are at Peak Oil and all we are doing is sending our oil and gas south. Sure we make money selling it but we (and the world) are running out. Ontario doesn't have enough gas for their generation plants - we are in energy/electricity crisis.

Ontario now realizes how grave the dilemma is yet as far as Ottawa is concerned... my MP, whom I have written to on the issue, thinks electricity is an alternative fuel source!!!

This is why I fear the future.

Every other country has a plan. The world is jockeying for oil while the US is waging war on the planet (quietly is some areas) to procure the world's oil and gas.

The oil sands are not much help if we export all the proceeds.

A recent G&M article mentioned, "With more than 12 billion barrels of recoverable oil sands in place and a production rate of about 225,000 barrels a day, which is expected to double within the next eight years, it's not like the oil is about to run out tomorrow. For anyone out there who is math-challenged, those numbers add up to a reserve life of about 50 years."

No big deal when world consumption of oil is a billion barrels in 12 days and 4 barrels are consumed for every 1 recovered.

We are exporting our future. The country that can manage the energy transistion the best - wins.

The situation is much more grim than many realize.

Cyberm4n

Electoral Member
Jun 6, 2002
Toronto
If we continue with the NAFTA BS, we WILL eventually be a broke country. Beware! Canada is heading down the road to complete and total ownership of everything Canadian by transcontinental ownership. Canada CAN break free from NAFTA if we elect the right government to do so.

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
In today's Post,

Energy Crisis Could Harm Canada

Financial Post - Print Edition - Canadian business leaders fear the country is heading toward an energy crisis that will harm operations and put the brakes on the economy. Chief executives are calling on all governments to urgently step up investment in energy infrastructure and boost conservation measures.

CEO's believe it is vital for Canada to reduce its dependence on foreign oil. They're saying "we need a plan and government needs a plan." "We need to make this a priority." "Business requires energy to operate and we're facing energy crises on a number of fronts."

"If supply ever becomes even 1% less than demand, a crisis is triggered." Matthew Simmons, Investment Banker, Bush Energy Advisor

Indeed. Ontario and Canada need a coordinated energy strategy. As I commented above Ontario understands the grave crisis we face. Ottawa hasn't a clue.

http://www.newsgateway.ca/energy_report_analysis.htm

Finally, Peak Oil is getting some press in Canada, but it is treated only as a business story.

As Ontario turns its focus to nuclear energy, physicist David Goodstein writes in Out of Gas: The End of the Age of Oil -- "Is there enough uranium around for that to be a long-term solution? Just like oil reserves, as at an earlier time, uranium reserves will surely increase, as a result of both further exploration and advancing technology. However, known reserves are estimated to be enough to supply all of Earth's energy needs - at the current rate of energy consumption - for a period of only five to twenty-five years. That ignores the growing world demand for power, as well as the Hubbert's peak effect, which just as valid for uranium as for oil."

Planet earth has been scoured and raped of its mineral resources. The large, 'easy to extract' finds have been made. Here too, depletion is the watch word.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
It's about time the moguls figured this out. I was in grade school when the first energy crisis hit, and although it didn't hit as hard in Canada as it did in the US, it did seem to be smartening us up. Cars got smaller, insulation got thicker, and we started turning out the light when we left a room.

Then along came Mulroney and Reagan and suddenly it was burn, burn, burn. That mindset has never stopped. Canada may be running short of natural gas to heat our houses with, but let's sell to the US so they can heat their swimming pools. Gasoline may cost more here than it does in the US, and we may be running low, but let's sell to them because it might hurt the economy if we don't.

So how will we heat our houses when the gas is gone, or too expensive to afford? How well will the economy do if our cars and trucks can't move?

Kyoto is the kick in the ass we need. We can develop alternative energy, be a world leader. We have the resources, human, technological, and natural; to have the entire world knocking on our door.

Instead we've signed the accord, have no plan how to implement it, no idea how to carry it out, and will not seriously talk about the issues at hand. The Liberals are purposely ineffective, and the Reform/Alliance/Conservatives think that burning down the house is a good way to keep warm.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
This is a canadian problem, as Québécois don't seem to share it. We have plenty of electricityé Enough so that we sell almost half, giving us the lowest rates in north america. And adding 2 billion $$ a year into our goverments pockets. Quite nice :)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
We're in much the same situation in Manitoba, energy-wise Numure.

We heat mostly with natural gas though (I've never quite figured that out), and we rely heavily on private transportation. The energy crisis really applies to fossil fuel-based sources, not to hydro-electric and other clean sources.

All the more reason to push for it. Our provinces have the natural resources to become the next Albertas. Hopefully we can resist the temptation to elect our own Ralph Kleins.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Ahh, well we use Hydro-Electricity mostly. The goverment is still tring to pass a plan to build a fossil fuel plant in Surois, it would produce the same amout of polution as 600k cars. Didnt go well with the people, and the plan is currently under study. I doubt Charest wishs to hurt his reputation even more by approving it. We also have big Wind oriented projects in the north and west. Hopefully, they go for that option.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
We're just getting in to wind. We've also got a methanol law coming in. I'm kind of torn on that one because I know how much diesel burns while growing a crop...the numbers don't add up yet. The new technology that uses straw looks promising though. Maybe I'll put a methanol-burning engine in the big green truck....

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Little dated, but most still holds true - some obvious reasons for the high prices.

The situation around energy will forever increase in tension between the US and Canada. At some point we must decide if our own economic and energy security is tied to that of the US.

Other oil producing nations have both domestic and international pricing. So should we - its the right thing to do.

Whenever I say that, there is almost always some person who comes to the defence of the corporations. Some Canadians do firmly believe that the corporations have a right to earn a massive short term profit at the expense of every Canadian.

Talk NEP in Alberta and the corporate defenders will lynch you as quick as they can.

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
Meantime...

...over 40% of my investment portfolio is invested in Oil & Gas. Another big chunk is in Metals and Minerals - depletion here too is the catalyist for high prices.

On one hand I think "great!" (in January I predicted $50 by year end) on the other hand... very, very sad... the end is around the corner and it won't be pretty...

Some bet oil headed to $50 soon

Speculators banking on crude oil prices going much higher than already lofty levels now, perhaps hitting $50 a barrel by summer, are raising the ante, bets in the crude oil options market showed Friday.

Those speculators, playing on the potential of oil supply being disrupted with violence in the Middle East on the rise, have bought crude oil options with strike prices of $40 and $50 on the June to October contracts, data from the New York Mercantile Exchange Web site show. http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/business/energy/2543064

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
As you read this, remember this moment.

You have learned that Planet Earth has reached Peak Oil.

This moment will reverberate in your consciousness that same way as when Kennedy died, the day Reagan was shot, or 9/11... when the US government perpetrated an unspeakable act against their own citizens... Saudi Arabia has peaked.

Matthew Simmons comments, when Saudi Arabia peaks, "This means categorically, that world oil production has peaked." This is the day that will live on forever.

Do you understand the implications?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I understand the implications, I just have trouble seeing it as a bad thing. With all of the environmental problems inherent in the use of oil, maybe this will be the thing that forces us to smarten up.

Cyberm4n

Electoral Member
Jun 6, 2002
Toronto
Reverend Blair said:
I understand the implications, I just have trouble seeing it as a bad thing. With all of the environmental problems inherent in the use of oil, maybe this will be the thing that forces us to smarten up.

it is a problem, because until we find a viable alternative to oil then when have to rely on it. we need oil, there are no ifs and buts. sure it would be great to wave bye to oil but it's in our best interests to keep it now.

when there is a replacement, that's the time we'll be able to say it's a good thing.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
But we aren't out of oil yet and there are some alternatives already out there. While no single alternative can replace oil, and most need further development, this can act as the impetus to begin the switchover.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I believe further development will bring much to citizens of this world. We will grow away from oil in the future, and I see that as coming within my lifetime. The unfortunate part, there will be no more oil left for us, as it is still the most powerful source of usable energy source the world has seen.

What are the alternative sources of energy current being developed/researched?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Solar, wind, tidal, hydrogen, methanol, bio-diesel, hydro-electric. All have been around for a long time, but there are advances being made in each and a lot of the research crosses more than one field.

The latest advance in methanol, for instance, uses straw...basically waste...so that the energy needed to produce it becomes negligible.

The interest in alternative energy also drives conservation. People are turning out the lights and looking at more fuel efficient cars again. New energy efficient building products are being taken seriously again.

Some of that is price-driven and some is because of the publicity around Kyoto, and it isn't happening quickly. It is happening though, and it's happening without the campaigns we saw during the 70's oil crisis. Imagine what could be accomplished if it was pushed like that again.

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
“We need a wake up call. We need it desperately. We need basically a new form of energy. I don’t know that there is one.” Matthew Simmons, investment banker, Bush energy advisor

excerpt from: The Party's Over: Oil, War, and the Fate of Industrial Societies, by Richard Heinberg

The five strategies humans have adopted for capturing increasing amount of energy have permitted societies to grow in size, scope, and complexity. However, it is important to note that the ramp of history, rising upward from the simplest Paleolithic hunter-gatherer bands to the heights of globalized industrial civilization, has not been a smooth one. Many civilizations have expanded their scope and complexity dramatically, only to dissolve back into simpler forms of social organization.

The ancient Egyptians, Romans, Mayas, Greeks, Minoans, Mesopotamians, Harappans, and Chacoans provide a wealth of material for investigation. Why would a group of people intelligent enough to have built impressive temples, roads, and cities and organizing a far-flung empire suddenly lose the ability to maintain them?

The literature on the subject is voluminous and includes speculation on the causes of collapse ranging from class conflict to mismanagement. Undoubtedly, the best modern research on this subject was done by archaeologist Joseph Tainter, whose book 'The Collapse of Complex Societies' (1988) is now widely recognized as the standard work on the topic. In his book and related essays, Tainter takes an ecological view of society as an energy-processing structure and concludes that complex societies tend to collapse because their strategies for energy capture are subject to the law of diminishing returns.

More complex societies are more costly to maintain than simpler ones.

Western civilization from the Middle Ages to the present illustrates the theory in a somewhat different way as it has recovered and undergone at least two even greater growth surges due to its ability to find and exploit new energy subsidies at critical moments.

The discovery of fossil fuels, the greatest energy subsidy ever known enabled the transformation of civilization itself into a form never before seen: industrialism.

This does not mean, however, that industrial civilization is immune to the law of diminishing returns. Over time, the amount of energy that must be expended to find and extract each barrel of oil, or to mine each ton of coal, increases.

Tainter ends his book by drawing the following sobering conclusion: “However much we like to think of ourselves as something special in world history, in fact industrial societies are subject to the same principles that caused earlier societies to collapse.”

ExxonMobil has made a new report on energy trends. Once again they claim that the decline of oil and gas will  be enormous the coming years.

"In summary, the limitations of current [renewable] technologies preclude any of them being suitable for meeting a large-enough share of long-term energy supply needs to displace conventional energy sources."

Last fall ExxonMobil commented: “Our industry can certainly be proud of its past achievements. Yet the challenges we will face in the coming years will be every bit as great as those encountered in the past, due in part to ever-increasing global energy use.

For example, we estimate that world oil and gas production from existing fields is declining at an average rate of about 4 to 6 percent a year. To meet projected demand in 2015, the industry will have to add about 100 million oil-equivalent barrels a day of new production.

That’s equal to about 80 percent of today’s production level. In other words, by 2015, we will need to find, develop and produce a volume of new oil and gas that is equal to eight out of every 10 barrels being produced today. In addition, the cost associated with providing this additional oil and gas is expected to be considerably more than what industry is now spending.

Equally daunting is the fact that many of the most promising prospects are far from major markets — some in regions that lack even basic infrastructure. Others are in extreme climates, such as the Arctic, that present extraordinary technical challenges."

ASPO Comments: "We in ASPO (The Association for the Study of Peak Oil & Gas) know that it is harder to find oil then gas, but if we accept that it might be equally easy I can make the following conclusion:

Today we have a daily production of 75 million barrels per day. If we in 2015 need 80 percent of this as new production we must open new oilfields that can give 60 million barrels per day. To understand how impossible this is I like to make a comparison with the top production of 6 million barrels per day in the North Sea. The question is where can we find 10 new regions of the size of the North Sea? Maybe can the production in Iraq with enormous investments increase with 6 million barrels per day.

I think that it would be a miracle if the rest of the countries in the Middle East can increase the production with 6 million barrels per day. That the rest of the world can find over 40 million barrels of new production is just a dream."

My comments: - creating electricity from an energy source is one thing, the loss of petro-chemicals is another. The first part of my article addresses NG and nuclear - not included here.

Everything you touch, any mode of transportation you take, all the food you eat has been provided with the benefit of this most energy-rich fuel source.

Petro-chemical products touch every aspect of our lives - the car we drive (gasoline, interior mouldings, exterior coatings), clothing, stereo and computer housing, paint on the walls of our houses and offices, the plastic packaging used for food, the shampoo bottle in the shower. The list is endless.

Chemicals used for manufacturing processes and fertilizers will become scarce and expensive.

No other fuel source has such a high Energy Return on Energy Invested ratio (EROEI). Our society has been built on this fuel source - one that is finite.

There is no equivalent energy replacement.

Right now, there is a deluge of stories on the wonders of hydrogen. Yet, this is another area of great confusion. Hydrogen is not a primary source of energy.

For a Hydrogen Era to occur you need an abundance of natural gas, or you need to create a great deal of new power plants using coal and nuclear power. As well, all these energy 'sources' require fossil fuels for extraction, construction of buildings and equipment, transportation of materials. EVERYTHING is tied to hydrocarbons.

Fuels cells for automobiles are not as viable as the promoters would like us to think. If by a miracle, these cells were viable and the hundreds of thousands of cars and trucks could be retrofitted for fuel cells, where would the energy come from to fill these?

The Ontario Electricity Task Force weakly suggested, "...the use of off-peak power to produce hydrogen for use in fuel cells...” An entire hydrogen energy infrastructure would require investments of large amounts of money and energy.

Most importantly, the process of hydrogen production always uses more energy than the resulting hydrogen will yield. The Second Law of Thermodynamics insures that hydrogen will be a net-energy loser every time since some usable energy is lost whenever it is transformed (from hydrogen to electricity, electricity to hydrogen, etc.).

Where will the petroleum products come from to build and maintain roads? Asphalt incorporates large quantities of oil. Airlines use copious amounts high-grade kerosene refined from oil. Transportation will change dramatically.

Will we continue to build what are really unnecessarily large homes, which we heat in the winter and then cool down in the summer? Is it necessary to keep building these large new big box retail outlets with high ceilings and extensive lighting?

There will be less foreign tourists, as traveling will become expensive. In summer, the weekly trip to the cottage will be costly and best saved for the annual holiday. Gone will be the days of spending the day 'out in the boat'.

Economic activity will decline. Jobs will be lost.

Richard Heinberg writes in The Party's Over: Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial Societies, "Virtually all of the authors who have contributed to the literature on sustainability tell us that, in order for a transition to a lower-complexity and lower-throughput society to occur without a chaotic collapse, humanity will have to take a systemic approach to resource management and population reduction.

It is the scale of the problems that beset us now that is unique. The steep expansion in scale of the human population size and the consumption of resources that has characterized modern societies is almost entirely due to industrialism and the use of fossil fuels. And many of the largest problems we are to likely encounter in this century will be due to the depletion of those fuels."

(The depletion of those fuels and the realization of the consequences has for quite sometime been the driving force behind geo-political events.)

"We must face the prospect of changing our basic ways of living. This change will either be made on our own initiative in a planned way, or forced on us with chaos and suffering by the inexorable laws of nature." Jimmy Carter (1976)

THE END OF SUBURBIA: Oil Depletion and the Collapse of The American Dream DVD http://www.endofsuburbia.com/

I encourage everyone to view this documentary - a first class Canadian production.

Mission Accomplished: "On the first day of the campaign, Marine units were ordered to secure 600 Iraqi oil wells and prevent environmental disaster." George Bush, April 3, 2003

"That means by 2010 we will need on the order of an additional fifty million barrels a day." "Oil remains fundamentally a government business. While many regions of the world offer great oil opportunities, the Middle East with two thirds of the world's oil and the lowest cost, is still where the prize ultimately lies..." Dick Cheney, fall 1999, London Institute of Petroleum

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I don't think things are that dim, Vista. We need to look at conservation no matter what, but the advances in hydrogen alone can change the economy. Hydro-electric is the perfect hydrogen producer. Water and electricity are needed for both. We have both in abundance in several parts of Canada.

The future ain't bright, but it is managable. All we need to do is smarten up and realise that we have to work towards technological goals. There are no miracles.

Okay, so we'll all end up living in caves. We don't have to though, we'll choose to because it's easier.

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
Reverend, the real solution is a throwback to the 60's commune.

Small self-supporting communties with an individual power source, food co-op and the best part... free love! Sounds good to me.

Seriously, the "new-urbanism" could be the only saviour.

Banc of America comments, "On the best-case scenario, fuel cells are expected to become viable only beyond 2020."

A hydrogen infrastructure would take decades and billions of dollars (as with LNG facilities which are dangerous and none will be built before the end of this decade - Logan Airport closes down when LNG tankers arrive.)

Currently, hydrogen is difficult to work with. As well, would this be the most effiicent use of Energy In for hydrogen out? Most think not.

There will be no hydrogen economy.

Hydro is good, especially for Canada, yet the power loss over long-transmission lines is very large. It's not a solution.

Again, we need petro-chemicals: for plastics, pharmaceuticals, manufacturing processes, paint and coatings, rubber, etc...

It gets worse.

"Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist."
Kenneth Boulding (circa 1980)

In simple terms, our financial system essentially represents debt and structurally it is built on perpetual economic growth to service this debt. As raw materials (in addition to hydrocarbons) face depletion -- "China has sucked the cupboard bare of raw materials"  --  prices will soar. (Look at current base metals prices) So too will the cost of goods and services.

Economic activity will decline as demand decreases; government revenues will be reduced and there will be added strain on support services -- Economics 101. Population growth will add further pressure.

But the real kicker: planet earth will never again experience the economic industrial growth made possible by the utilization of fossil fuels.

At some point in the future, a global financial crisis will not be unexpected.

Global climate change is a concern.

The Guardian reports: Now the Pentagon tells Bush - climate change will destroy us

· Secret report warns of rioting and nuclear war
· Britain will be 'Siberian' in less than 20 years
· Threat to the world is greater than terrorism

A secret report, suppressed by US defence chiefs and obtained by The Observer, warns that major European cities will be sunk beneath rising seas as Britain is plunged into a 'Siberian' climate by 2020. Nuclear conflict, mega-droughts, famine and widespread rioting will erupt across the world.

The document predicts that abrupt climate change could bring the planet to the edge of anarchy as countries develop a nuclear threat to defend and secure dwindling food, water and energy supplies. The threat to global stability vastly eclipses that of terrorism, say the few experts privy to its contents.

'Disruption and conflict will be endemic features of life,' concludes the Pentagon analysis. 'Once again, warfare would define human life.'

Can Bush ignore the Pentagon? It's going be hard to blow off this sort of document. Its hugely embarrassing. After all, Bush's single highest priority is national defense. The Pentagon is no wacko, liberal group, generally speaking it is conservative. If climate change is a threat to national security and the economy, then he has to act. There are two groups the Bush Administration tend to listen to, the oil lobby and the Pentagon,' added Watson. 

The population issue. The world has a carrying capacity of approximately 2 billion people. The are over 6.6 billion people today.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=usamriid&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=

Need I say more?

To repeat Richard Heinberg: The emotional responses run the gamut from shock, denial, despair, and rage to eventual acceptance.

Right now considering what I hear on Talk Radio and read in the newspapers there is rage about the price of gas. Against the oil companies. Against our government for not doing something.

A litre of Starbucks costs more than a litre of gas!

People are talking revolt (it’s Canada so all talk no action).

People have no clue of depletion within our lifetimes.

Imagine what will happen when people really have to pay double at the pumps. Triple?

When people clue into Peak Oil, will there be marching in the streets? How could this happen? What are you, the government going to do about it?

Guess what the Patriot Act was all about. Not non-existant Muslim terrorists but dissenting Americans.

Anti-war protests have already been manipulted by the US government. Protesters targeted by the FBI. These are easy to
check in mainstream news reports.

History Repeats:

The Enabling Act: Following a fire at the 1933 Reichstag building (German parliament), which the Nazis blamed on a communist conspiracy to overthrow the government, Hitler persuaded von Hindenburg to issue an emergency "Decree for the Protection of Person and State." (the model for the US PATRIOT Act I and II).

It suspended the basic rights of German citizens, allowed the national government to take over full powers in the German state governments, and ordered death or imprisonment for a series of crimes. These included incitement to riot and resistance to the provisions of the decree and the basic right of dissent of government policy.

The decree, by suspending the legal right to personal freedom, opened the way for German police to use a device called "protective custody". This enabled police to arrest and imprison suspects deemed a "threat to the state" for any length of time without trial. The government initiated a campaign to first muzzle and then destroy the opposition press. In the US there is essentially, no "free press" any more. Media self-censorship is rampant.

The energy transition will unlikely be smooth.

THE END OF SUBURBIA: Oil Depletion and the Collapse of The American Dream DVD

http://www.endofsuburbia.com/

I encourage everyone to view this documentary - a first class Canadian production.

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
Harper.S@parl.gc.ca
Martin.P@parl.gc.ca
jlayton@ndp.ca

I just e-mailed our big-three party leaders and my local MP hopefuls on their party's energy policy.

Checking their websites, they don't have one.

I dropped into my local Liberal office and should get to the others shortly. I just missed the candidate but asked a fine gentleman in the office if he could provide me with info - nothing.

I made very clear to him, there is no point in discussing healthcare or any other issues unless there is a policy for reliable sustainable evergy (an oxymoron). Without energy there is nothing. Oil and gas shortages are expected no later than the end of 2007.

"The world cannot live without access to energy." Matthew Simmons

Moments after my e-mail I received a new report on coal. "At least 94 coal-fired electric power plants are now planned accross 36 states." If you want to talk about climate change - let's start here.

Coal too is subject to the Hubbert Bell Curve of depletion.

"We need a wake up call. We need it desperately. We need basically a new form of energy. I don’t know that there is one."

"65% of the world's [NG] gas supply... is now in decline..."

Matthew Simmons

I am getting chills and it isn't January!

If I get any response I shall pass it on...