Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
COLUMNIST

Thu, March 25, 2004

Metric mess

By MICHAEL PLATT -- Calgary Sun

It's one thing wanting to sit on the fence, but not knowing how to measure the wood to build one?

Now that's sad.

And very Canadian.

If you're like most folks living in this country, you're a casualty of the longest-lingering gaff in federal government history -- one that continues to plague every Canadian who ever wanted to bake a cake, build a fence or read a European Playboy.

It's called the metric system. It was meant to make the simple act of measurement even less confusing, and bring Canadians in line with cutting-edge 20th century thinking.

With the 21st century well under way, the average Canadian no longer understands their own driver's licence.

Not only are we not metric, we're not imperial either.

We're sort of both, depending on what you want measured. And we're almost always confused.

Ottawa abandoned mandatory metric in 1983, fearing it restricted freedom of choice -- but the myopic magoos didn't drop metric as Canada's official system, leaving the half-converted country in measurement limbo.

As a nation permanently stuck between systems of measurement, once-basic tasks are reduced to guesswork, or with the right formula, a conversion requiring a calculator.

The stalled switch-over to metric has made every aspect of Canadian life a muddle of mismatched measures.

Most of us understand metric temperature, unless it comes to body temperature, in which case a fever is still anything over 98.6F -- maybe 39C doesn't sound like day-off-work sick.

Distance is now a kilometre thing, as is speed -- unless you're measuring a Jarome Iginla slapshot or the top-speed of a sports car, in which case it's back to MPH. And though we buy fuel in litres, our cars get good or bad mileage, in MPG.

To calculate most lengths and areas, we revert to imperial.

Our homes, measured in square feet, are built on metric lots, with fences up to six feet tall, and both are constructed from wood described in inches -- like a 2X4 or 2X6.

If someone hops over that fence and breaks into our home, police issue a suspect description in feet-and-inches, and pounds. If that same crook also turns out to be a drug dealer, his contraband is measured in kilos, ounces and grams.

People and their parts -- with the exception of European Playboy bunnies -- are always described in imperial terms.

The confusion starts the minute a Canadian is born -- when was the last time you heard a proud parent announcing their 3,750 gram bundle of joy?

Liquids are among the most unruly measurements of all, with pints and ounces the standard for alcohol, and litres for milk, pop and juice.

In the kitchen, a hodgepodge of millilitres, ounces, quarts, as well as pounds, grams and kilograms, can make a cook weep faster than diced onions.

The comedy of incompatibility just never ends.

Worse, there seems little hope of the situation changing, at least until Canada elects a government with enough leadership to finish what was started, or to scrap metric completely.

Children are still taught metric in schools, but ask a young person how tall they are, or how much they weigh, and you'll see the same pattern emerging.

Imperial is being passed on to new generations -- not enough to give them thorough understanding, but too much to let metric rule.

The result is a system so cluttered we'd almost be better off going back to the days when people used their hands and feet to measure things -- at least then there might be some consistency.

Instead, because politicians decided to meddle in the lives of Canadians but lacked the leadership to finish the job, the country will remain in measurement limbo indefinitely.

Thirty-four years after Canada started going metric, the job is still only half-finished.

Whether it's centimetre-by-centimetre, or inch-by-inch, it's time this country started moving towards one system, and one system only.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email: michael.platt@calgarysun.com
Letters to the editor should be sent to: callet@calgarysun.com
Home Page

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
LOL! I can't describe how much I can relate to this article. I've personally tried to make a switch to the metric system and finally say goodbye to the old non-standard imperial system used in American, but it's impossible!

For an example, an interview with the police, giving my personal information such as height.. they blink when I say I'm 1.86m or 186cm. "What's that in feet and inches?"

It's completely unnecessary strain thinking in two different systems! When will Canada move over to the 100% metric system and just stop this madness over 3 decades after the official switch? God!

BIG TOE

Nov 24, 2006
Scrap Metric

The metric system was introduced to us in the early 70's when the average Canadian didn't want it. It was shoved down our throats by the federal government at their advantage. There was absolutely nothing wrong with our system at the time. That simple switch to the metric system cost US, taxpayers, a HUGE amount of money! The change to the metric system was so ridiculous I cannot start to describe all the downfalls that it created. Especially in the construction industry. The automotive industry also suffered greatly as they all had to purchase metric equipment and have TWO sets of tools in order to operate just because of the metric system. Who paid for all the new equipment? Well, certainly NOT the federal government! Road signs, measurment signs, machinery had to be changed also, and i'm missing a lot of examples here...a lot! Why? They did a great job, everybody understood them, but to please a few bureacrats, they all had to be replaced...at YOUR expense. Hey, Canada had lots of money! Hell, we're STILL paying for the stupid change to metric!!! And we will for a very long time to come I'm sure! But the metric system has to be good, efficient, scientifically superior than the Imperial system.....that's why we still use it for out shoe size, pants size, our weight,hight, baby weight at birth, all the construction measures, and equipment such as 2x4's...I wonder if that's metric? NOT! We STILL use the Imperial system much more that YOU metric system lovers think! And to top it off, there's only about 400 million people using the US system (wich is basically the same as the Imperial system) south of our border...our great southern neighbours, the United States of America. Among other countries that STILL uses the Imperial system. I say to myself that every country can make mistakes in their decisions, but the biggest one Canada ever made is adopting the metric system. Hopefully one day, our country will wake up and switch back to the Imperial or US system so that we can ALL benefit of our great human based ever so loved system that we (most of us) dearly miss. They say COMMON SENSE ALWAYS PREVAILS...I hope it will one day. But then again...that's just MY opinion as I'm entitled to.

BIG TOE

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
The metric system was but one means pushed through by the Trudeau government to eradicate Canadian culture. To internationalize it and make it the plaything of Canadian elites. The system's application remains a mess. A remnant of the policy fascism that dominated the era.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Funny article Andem. I have personally been puzzled about it when I speak to friends in Canada, say about a new born weighing in at seven pounds two ounces, yet when the couple describing the story of rushing to the hospital they were speeding at 120 KPH. Although I admit NOT one bit surprising. Canada is a mixture of American and European culture, in almost every facet of life.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The metric system was but one means pushed through by the Trudeau government to eradicate Canadian culture. To internationalize it and make it the plaything of Canadian elites. The system's application remains a mess. A remnant of the policy fascism that dominated the era.

Wow. Maybe you can tie this in to the WTC conspiracy, too. The ghost of Trudeau? Get real.

Must have been a slow day in Calgary when that column was written. Scratching around, looking for something pointless to write about. When will people realize that the only country that doesn't use the metric system is the US, and oddly enough, all cars, aircraft, military equipment,etc, even in the US is all metric.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Toro

Watch out you are on dangerous ground here hahaha.

I'm taking care of that little problem - going backwards now!

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Tenpenny

Aircraft is done in miles per and feet high...... and the international community all use this language....

The two systems are scrambled over some illogical but "workable" communication.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Tenpenny

Aircraft is done in miles per and feet high...... and the international community all use this language....

The two systems are scrambled over some illogical but "workable" communication.

Aircraft are not built in miles and feet. You misunderstood my point: aircraft and cars are BUILT in metric.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Anyone remember that mars spacecaraft that crashed, all because the scientists at NASA didn't convert from metric. Now even the Imperial system is defined by metric parameters. What is an inch? 2.54 cm. A 2x4 isn't even 2 inches by 4 inches.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Anyone remember that mars spacecaraft that crashed, all because the scientists at NASA didn't convert from metric. Now even the Imperial system is defined by metric parameters. What is an inch? 2.54 cm. A 2x4 isn't even 2 inches by 4 inches.

And we all know what happened to 6 inches. ;)

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
LOL Kreskin you are on a tear today. I hate the metric system, Canada switched when I was in high school and I've been farked up ever since. The last time I got weighed I had to come home and convert the Kg to pounds, for heavens sake I felt the the Christmas Goose getting weighed.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
LOL Kreskin you are on a tear today. I hate the metric system, Canada switched when I was in high school and I've been farked up ever since. The last time I got weighed I had to come home and convert the Kg to pounds, for heavens sake I felt the the Christmas Goose getting weighed.
Same here, converted in school. When I look at food measurements I have no idea what they're talking about.

p.s. Scales are evil.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Aircraft are not built in miles and feet. You misunderstood my point: aircraft and cars are BUILT in metric.

TenPenny

Right and my point was to rebut yours when you said the U.S. was the only nation not using metric - which may be true however in international air travel - communications are still relayed in imperial measurement.... cockpit to cockpit....tower to cockpit.

Whether a vehicle is constructed with metric measurement depends on its country of origin I believe. I think the U.S. automakers still rely on imperial. But so many autos manufactured in the U.S. are of foreign nations - that may be what confuses you.

Here are the specs for a 20007 Dodge Nitro SUV
Specifications
Type: Midsize SUV
Where Built: Not Available
Dimensions
Exterior Length: 178.9 in. Width: 73.1 in. Height: 69.9 in. Wheel Base: 108.8 in. Curb Weight: 4162 lbs. Gross Weight: 5600 lbs. Interior Front Head Room: 40.6 in. Front Hip Room: 56.8 in. Front Shoulder Room: 57.2 in. Rear Head Room: 40.8 in. Rear Shoulder Room: 56.4 in. Rear Hip Room: 47.4 in. Front Leg Room: 40.8 in. Rear Leg Room: 37.7 in. Luggage Capacity: 32.1 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 76 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5
Performance Data
Performance Base Number of Cylinders: 6 Base Engine Size: 3.7 liters Base Engine Type: V6 Horsepower: 210 hp Max Horsepower: 5200 rpm Torque: 235 ft-lbs. Max Torque: 4000 rpm Maximum Payload: 1150 lbs. Maximum Towing Capacity: 5000 lbs. Drive Type: 4WD Turning Circle: 36.3 ft.
Fuel Data
Fuel Fuel Tank Capacity: 19.5 gal. EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway) Range in Miles: (City/Highway)

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
LOL! I can't describe how much I can relate to this article. I've personally tried to make a switch to the metric system and finally say goodbye to the old non-standard imperial system used in American, but it's impossible!

Metric dates from the 18th Century, so how is that not old?

In Britain, hardly anyone thinks in Metric. Despite the EUSSR trying to shove Metric down our throats against our will, they are not succeeding.

When we buy beer in the pub or order bottle of milk, we order them in pints. It would just be absolutely stupid for us to go in a pub and say "Can I have 2 litres of beer, please" instead of the normal "Can I have a pint of beer, please?"

When we buy fruit and vegetables at the market, we always buy them by the lb (pound) rather than the kilogram or gram or any other strange measurements.

In Britain, all our road signs are in Miles rather than Kilometres (on the Continent, they are in Kilometres which gives the illusion that you have to travel greater distances than it would seem if they were in Miles) and we measure temperature in farenheit rather than celsius. The Imperial system of measuring the temperature of the weather is much superior than Metric as it makes summer temperatures seem warmer than what Metric does.

On the Continent, where they use metric Celsius, they say "Today, the temperature is 27 degrees."

But in Britain, where we use the imperial Farenheit, we say "Today, the temperature is 80 degrees."

So by using Imperial measurements, as the British do, it gives the impression that the temperature is warmer. Whilst its 80 degrees in Britain, the equivalent temperature in France and Germany would be only 27 degrees.

On the Continent, the temperature rarely gets above 50. In Britain, it's above 50 nearly every summer.

Last edited:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Kreskin

Thank you - I am now starting my Sixteenth Celsius Birthday..... (I avoided the word Sweet) hehehe...

I also avoided "never been kissed".... curio