Close the freakin borders on beef imports from the US!

gnuman

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2002
Montreal, Quebec
This is sickening there was 1 person declared with the human form of madcow disease and yet Canada is thinking about closing the borders??????

Hey Paul Martin you sob didn't you see what Bush did we didn't have madcow in the food chain the americans do! Shut down the borders and safe our people from the possible spread of madcow!

The farmer thought the cow was sick and held it back in the US they don't give a crap and play dumb. Hey maw I think this cow is sick yuck yuck maybe we sick it in da food chain anywho.

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
Canada can and would sustain fine if we shut the borders on ALL US beef imports.. when the US banned canadian beef indefinately when there was no mad cow disease found, everyone in canada banded together, including McDonalds, Wendys, etc and only sold Canadian beef, because there was NOTHING wrong with it as scientifically shown.

We should stop the US beef imports, we've proven we have enough beef within our own country to sustain even a long-ish ban on US beef imports..

Ying for Yang... Ying for Yang..

gnuman

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2002
Montreal, Quebec
Interesting thing though that the Canadian beef ban hurt the americans more than it did us in a way because McDonald's and a lot of the restaurants in the US was using Canadian beef not american beef.

I guess when a big corp like McDonalds uses Canadian beef in 80% of its restaurants it should tell your something

"I guess when a big corp like McDonalds uses Canadian beef in 80% of its restaurants it should tell your something"

Yup, it does. It says that Canada has lower rates for the market sale of beef.
Companies...especially large corps...follow money and where things are cheapest. I think the only reason that these companies don't use cheaper beef (say from mexico) is because the mexican beef isn't held to any sort of intense standard.

So for over all value of beef to quality of health concerns Canada is the best choice.

As to the ban...if Canadians are truely concerned that thier food is in danger, then by all means close your boarders. Though I would caution...the philosophy "an eye for an eye" leads to more blind people. I'd caution to say about one half of everything the US does is based almost exclusively on this idiotic principle.

gnuman

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2002
Montreal, Quebec
there's a name that I haven't seen in a while :D

Well is it that or because our standards are set higher than the americans? The US subsidizes its farmers and yet complained to the WTO that canada subsidizes its lumber workers.

Bush only was hush hush because he wants to get re-elected. The "capturing" of Saddam seemed like it was staged as a previous article mentionned on the forums. Its all propaganda to get Bush in for another terrorizing term.

It is gross that they would save money by just removing the brain and spinal cord of the infected cow while in canada no part of the cow is put into the food chain. Apparently when they blocked Canadian beef, the US was importing their beef from Brazil to make up for the shortfall.

I couldn't imagine what they feed the cattle in Brazil yet alone forcefeed american cattle corn in which they can't digest without anti-biotics.

American Friend

Jan 2, 2005
I cannot understand the Bush-bashing regarding the ban on Canadian beef. The US Administration would have been accused of being negligent of public health had it not taken immediate decisive action to the Mad Cow disease discovered in Canada. Now, having assured itself that Canadian testing procedures are adequate and scheduled resumption of imports for March, 2005, it is Congressional Democrats, Bush's domestic political adversaries, who are questioning the wisdom of the repeal of the ban.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Close the freakin bor

I'll believe that Canada's testing is adequate when we start testing every cow slaughtered. Same for the US. We also need to get rid of all animal protein in all animal feed on both sides of the border.

The border closure doesn't make scientific sense, and it wouldn't make scientific sense were Canada to retaliate for one simple reason. For all intents and purposes we have a single herd in the two countries. Regulations on both sides of the border are politically driven and the real-life implementation of those regulations is laughable.

Want a real eye-opener? Country Canada did a show a while back called, "Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up." It was about about the first mad cow found in the US, among other things. It is very critical of the US system and the border closure, but the truth is that we are no better up here.

Canada should, at this point, shut the border to US beef, start testing every animal slaughtered, and open up small slaughter houses all across the country. Chase Cargill and Tyson back to whatever hell-hole they crawled out of. Forget about exporting live beef except for breeding purposes. We should be concentrating on exporting slaughtered beef to Europe and Asia, as well as the US if they'll allow it. If we test every cow, then there's no problem doing that.

It's time to quit pissing around. I know three farmers who have gotten out of beef and two more that are headed that way. It's even hurt people who raise goats. There's a 17% duty on pigs now. The CWB can expect yet another attack from south of the border in the next year or so.

The US has pretty much declared war on our agricultural industry. That isn't driven by the American people, it's driven by heavily subsidised agri-corps who donate massively to both the Republicans (especially federally) and the Democrats (especially on a state level).

It's time to fight back.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
That could of easily been found in Montana as Alberta. Before the mad cow our beef industry was so intertwined and live cattle travelled across borders at will and sometimes even more than once.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

It could have been, No1. That's part of the reason why our regulations are so lax too...we had to keep our standards the same as the USA's, the big meat companies and feed companies demanded it.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Ottawa, U.S. urge calm in mad cow case
John Ward, Canadian Press, January 3th 2005
http://www.canada.com/national/story.html?id=07553b57-5a26-4e03-9730-e4d7adc090c6

Nevertheless, it seems the US is planning to reopen the borders for Canadian beef. "In Washington, the U.S. Agriculture Department said it's going ahead with a plan to reopen the border, likely in March, to shipments of young Canadian cows and more beef products." This news has been received with a lot of scepticism by the way, especially by Canadian farmers (read the article for more).

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Like the Canadian farmers and ranchers, I'll believe it when I see it Ricky. The people at R-Calf know damned well that the border closing was a sham to begin with. They know how the system works and they've been making a lot of money off of this.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
I'll believe that Canada's testing is adequate when we start testing every cow slaughtered. Same for the US. We also need to get rid of all animal protein in all animal feed on both sides of the border.

Well, we don't. And Americas don't test every animal. It has been proposed, but so far not practised.

And the feed with animal in it was banned, but not actually done - it still gets in the feed. And the one this week was from old feed left over, which is okay in the ongoing sense of course.

But the big issue is trade with America.
I would love to not have anything to do with them and their war-mongering President. But Canada could not "afford" to reduce trade with America... Energy exports account for half our GDP, and 80% of our wealth comes from this trade partner.

What we must do soon is to start to find an alternate market for every product or service now traded with America. As these other markets - China, India, Japan, Asia in general, Europe - are found, then simply ship the stuff there instead of America.

But the energy - with pipelines set up and all that infrastructure, we really cant just "ship it elsewhere".

But we find ourselves in a situation like WW2 and AMerica's Standard oil - they could have stopped Hitler's war machine by simply NOT SELLING the Nazis OIL and GAS. Thats where Hitler's energy-fuels came from, a lesson not taught in our schools. Are you hearing this now for the first time?
So here we are, selling America, the Evil giant, gas and oil that they are using to commit atrocities and illegal invasions of Iraq with.Without Canada's oil and gas, America's war machine would stall !! Even tho we only account for 20% of their fossil fuel imports, it would make the difference and cause other nations "not onside" with AMerica to reduce their exports to the U.S. also, in protest of the many and various international aggressions and global domination efforts.

Karlin

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004

Well, we don't. And Americas don't test every animal. It has been proposed, but so far not practised.

And the feed with animal in it was banned, but not actually done - it still gets in the feed. And the one this week was from old feed left over, which is okay in the ongoing sense of course.

I would love to not have anything to do with them and their war-mongering President. But Canada could not "afford" to reduce trade with America... Energy exports account for half our GDP, and 80% of our wealth comes from this trade partner.

What we must do soon is to start to find an alternate market for every product or service now traded with America. As these other markets - China, India, Japan, Asia in general, Europe - are found, then simply ship the stuff there instead of America.

But the energy - with pipelines set up and all that infrastructure, we really cant just "ship it elsewhere".

But we find ourselves in a situation like WW2 and AMerica's Standard oil - they could have stopped Hitler's war machine by simply NOT SELLING the Nazis OIL and GAS. Thats where Hitler's energy-fuels came from, a lesson not taught in our schools. Are you hearing this now for the first time?
So here we are, selling America, the Evil giant, gas and oil that they are using to commit atrocities and illegal invasions of Iraq with.Without Canada's oil and gas, America's war machine would stall !! Even tho we only account for 20% of their fossil fuel imports, it would make the difference and cause other nations "not onside" with AMerica to reduce their exports to the U.S. also, in protest of the many and various international aggressions and global domination efforts.

Karlin

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004

Karlin

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Well we check more cows and I think US farmers just dont report it. Even if they did find anymore mad cows in America they would just blame us anyways. I would rather eat our beef anyday, as its not "Bushwhacked".

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Well we check more cows and I think US farmers just dont report it. Even if they did find anymore mad cows in America they would just blame us anyways. I would rather eat our beef anyday, as its not "Bushwhacked".

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca