How do you feel about liberal Yanks fleeing north?

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Hello northern cousins,

Met any Yanks moving in lately? What do you think of them? I have tell you, after taking vacations in Canada for decades, and after years stewing over the growing right-wing monopoly in the US, I'm considering moving the whole family north. But I am curious about how we barbarians are received. Any thoughts?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I guess I have mixed feelings, personally... Not to point fingers to anyone in general... but I find the majority of Americans, whether they be right or left... or centre, seem to be quite arrogant to Canadians.. so to answer the question of Americans moving north to Canada, I have to say that yes, I'm against arrogant Americans moving here. But I have nothing against honest, hard-working Americans who can appreciate our way of live (however different or similar it may be).

*ROTFL* Okay, where to start...

"I guess I have mixed feelings, personally... Not to point fingers to anyone in general... but I find the majority of Americans, whether they be right or left..."

Hrmm...

"...or centre..."

It's center! Cent-re is not a word. Neither is colour.

"...seem to be quite arrogant to Canadians..."

Have you ever met a Canadian in the US? They are the first to tell us how we are ruining our country. ;)

"...so to answer the question of Americans moving north to Canada, I have to say that yes, I'm against arrogant Americans moving here."

Okay? Are there alot of humble Americans? How about we only let the happy Americans in? Or the sad ones? Emotional states and personality traits really are how we should meassure immigration desirablity.

"...But I have nothing against honest, hard-working Americans who can appreciate our way of live (however different or similar it may be)."

Umm...You sound like a right wing arrogant American speaking about the Mexicans coming north. Heh. I'll tell you what I tell them, if you let someone into your country freely then you have no right to tell them what they should and shouldn't do...okay, so maybe you can tell them. But I'll tell them to ignore you and live thier life.

I too have thought about moving North of the boarder (My Grandmother was born in Canada and due to an immigration loophole I can run north at any time). But two thoughts stop me.
1) Canada has as many ignorant people as the US. Be them left or right it's the ignorant folks that hurt a nation.
2) If I leave the US I can't vote, and I can't participate freely in the politics of this nation. If I can't do that then I can't change this nation. Then I would be stuck on a canadian forums bitching about the US, instead of here bitching and TRYING to do something about it.

Didn't mean any offense to anyone. People are people, no one nation is more enlightened than another it's just different points of view. It's only when some ignorant man thinks his view is better than anothers that those views become bad. Know when your words and deeds match...lest you be called a hypocrite.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
So, if I understand correctly, I'm hearing one Canadian who is lukewarm to Americans at best, and a Yank who remains in Tom DeLay country in order to vote against him. Is that about right?

I dunno. As much as I enjoy casting ballots against heedless greed and religious tribalism, it can get a little depressing to see the sheeple swayed by endless political attack ads and state referenda come election day. Another Bush administration may be just more than I can stand. Besides, work opportunities for me and skiing are both better up north, so what's not to like?

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
www.canadiandemocraticmovement.ca
Disgusted in Seattle said:
Hello northern cousins,

Met any Yanks moving in lately? What do you think of them? I have tell you, after taking vacations in Canada for decades, and after years stewing over the growing right-wing monopoly in the US, I'm considering moving the whole family north. But I am curious about how we barbarians are received. Any thoughts?

Come one come all. We welcome all Americans as friends and fellow human beings. Canada is a country like america built on immigration.

Canada can always use more educated citizens no matter where they are from!

Many Canadians may not feel like Americans are our best friend at the moment but the actions of the US government are NOT the actions of its citizens, after all you guys did not actually elect Bush!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Wulf-Krigan said:
"...or centre..."

Just reading the beginning of your post proves my point about Americans. CENTRE is a word and so is COLOUR.... They were words before you americans started using your own lazy spelling.

I'm not going any further.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
well........when asked why I came here to Canada from Australia, my answer is... to help build "The Great Wall of Canada" right along the border....... with one door and one door handle.....on the northern side........don't wait for too long guys!
LOL

the US hasn't bomed Canada as yet, so they obviously don't know where it....SHHHHhhhhh.......................

Andem, the fact you took that as a legitemate arguement point proves -my- point.

No matter what country you live in you will have sheeple (someone get a prize for that phrase?). The world is vastly over populated by idiots and morons.

The problem is that many of these sheeple and morons are neither of the above. In fact many are people who think and feel as well and freely as you or I do. And many think simply that what America is doing is right. We all make choices based, in some part, on what others tell us and we all choose to believe what we will...

Dehumanizing any opposition is the first step to eliminating them. I truely hope we can humanize the globe before we blow it up.

MapleLeafMerc

Mar 11, 2004
Caledon East, Ontario
Disgusted in Seattle said:
Hello northern cousins,

Have you moved in yet, DIS?

I earn my living selling industrial products, most of which are made in the US. I know many Americans who are good people. And many of these same Americans are in fact Republicans.

If you are still deciding whether to move here, let me just say that if you're left wing, our politicians will welcome you. :roll: SOME of us Canadians are not left wing, however.;)

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
MapleLeafMerc said:
I earn my living selling industrial products, most of which are made in the US. I know many Americans who are good people. And many of these same Americans are in fact Republicans.

If you are still deciding whether to move here, let me just say that if you're left wing, our politicians will welcome you. :roll: SOME of us Canadians are not left wing, however.;)

Actually, Canadians sway pretty easily. There are ofcourse the diehard lefts, the die hard rights... and the odd die hard centre.

Take a look at the governments we've had in the past. RIght now we have the liberals because, well, Canadians feel the safest with them. Paul Martin, ack. He's a different story, not a safe person to have in power. Same with Stephen Harper.

It will be interesting to see which way Canadians sway in the next elections. For the record, I can't see any truth in most of the polls right now. It's too early to tell.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Hey Disgusted. Our country has a long history of accepting American political refugees...from the United Empire loyalists to the draft dodgers during Vietnam to the current military refugees coming here now in hopes of avoiding participating in an illegal war.

Come on up, Disgusted.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
I'm considering a move from the U.S. to Canada. I have worked with a few Canadians, and they are some of the nicest most considerate people i've met. I'm a liberal and I don't think I can take much more of this right wing lunacy in the U.S.
I have enough points for the skilled worker catagory and I was wondering if some one knew how difficult it would be to immigrate.
Thank you in advance for any responses.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Anonymous said:
I'm considering a move from the U.S. to Canada. I have worked with a few Canadians, and they are some of the nicest most considerate people i've met. I'm a liberal and I don't think I can take much more of this right wing lunacy in the U.S.
I have enough points for the skilled worker catagory and I was wondering if some one knew how difficult it would be to immigrate.
Thank you in advance for any responses.

I suggest you take a self-assessment for skilled worker here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/assess/index.html.

There's also more info about it here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/index.html.

Liliput

Oct 3, 2006
I's a Bluenoser, Baby!

*chuckles & pats you on the head* Come on up to Canada deary, we'll teach you proper english *grins*

Seriously, as a Canadian I say come and be welcome. There will always be a lot of bitching on both sides of how we are all the same or how we are so extraordinarily different from each other. The truth is both, our two countries have A LOT of things that are exactly the same and we also have things that are intensely different, most things are just slightly askew from each other.

Come to Nova Scotia, we need the population increase ... besides we are the best of the best, and nothing beats Alexander Keith's Beer! *wiggles eyebrows*

I agree with the others, Canada always has room and a welcoming handshake for anyone wanting to peacefully live here. Myself I'd like to see more American immigration to Canada. I've never known a canadian who had a dislike of americans, as a general "I don't like them cause their yankees" typething.
I really would not believe the current negative vibe the media markets seem to have cultivated about canadians and americans not liking each other. I personally find it a big honking load of smelly poo.

To make a long babble short, my opinion is You'd be more than welcome and I give you a strong nudge in the east coast direction.

Cheers