2003.... Canada will decriminalize pot

Vincent_2002

Electoral Member
Mar 27, 2002
Montréal, Quebec
I was talking to a police officer the other day on the street, and according to him, the decriminalization of marijuana is inevitable.. His police station is even now going easier on and avoiding arresting people with the posession of a small amount marijuana (to a degree).

I think it is a very large major step in making laws more lax than amsterdam. This is definately a victory for people who use marijuana for both recreational and medical uses.

Congratulations!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I still have really mixed feelings on this decision. I look at the good things and the bad things. Good things include no criminal record for posession of a small amount of mj. Bad things, may promote the use of harder drugs.

I think a reason why a lot of kids use it these days is because of the aspect of risk, and a lot of people I know moved onto other things after using mj.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
The Americans can go to hell.:evil: They waste billions on a drug war they will never win and spend billions throwing and housing people in jails for posession of Marijuana. Usually very little pot.

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
Cops here already dont even care if you smoke it.. lets give an example, bunch of people were out having some, cops came, asked us what was happening, told em that we were just relaxin, joint still lit in someone elses hand, he smiled and told us to have a good night.
From any standpoint, even a cops, its the least of their concerns with everything else that is going on in the world. True there are hardass cops, but they are seemingly becoming fewer and far between. Even if it doesnt get decriminalized, not many of them care, infact I know a number who smoke it themselves.. lol
Now Alannis.. that *IS* Ironic. ;)

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
I really don't think it is a question of if Canada will do it or not, I think its more a question of how long from now will this take to happen. There are a lot of people who both support it and oppose it, I'd say more support than opposed, just based on sheer numbers and factual information. Those who are against it worry that children will have freer access to marijuana. This in itself is a valid arguement, however think back to when you were younger (under 18 (or 19 in some areas)), really HOW hard was it for you to get alcohol and cigarettes? Not really hard at all, if they want it they will still find ways to get it. Its a choice to smoke, drink, smoke marjiuana... its not something they are forced to do. Sure peer pressure has something to do with it, but most people really could care less if their friends drink or smoke. I myself dont drink very often (If at all over the past years), and I dont have people throwing alcohol down my throat.. Its a choice.. a choice anyone can make.. do it or don't.. no one is going to care either way, afterall... it is a free country.. kinda.. :)

Vincent_2002 said:
Canada isnt going to do it after all i think.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I live in Vancouver and the cops don't do squat. People openly smoking up at skytrain stations, cops just go by. Not worth their hassle and time anymore, since the courts basically do squat as well.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Interesting, no1important.

Here in T.O cops are always down kids' backs because of pot smoking. Personally, I think it's a bad thing to get into at such a young age.. But cops will do anything if it makes them feel good arresting people for such minor things.

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
Even if it does get decriminalized, the police will still continue to hassle those who have it in their possession, even if it is within the legal limit. Most police, its true, don't even care.. its not worth their time or the courts time to even bother with a lot of it anymore.

I do agree teens, etc shouldn't be doing it, but then again its like anyone telling their kid not to do something, it generally makes them want to do it anyways. I guess it all comes down to a personal choice. I use it for cronic migranes, and the occasionally mellowing out, but theres a lot of people who do, like alcohol, abuse marijuana, and it is sad.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Shmad: It's also about the teen's intellectual capabilities. It's upto them to look into what weed can do to a young and growing brain. Some teens do it so much, they deserve the nickname "burnout"