Canadian system of gov't vs American

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I would have to say that the American system is more democratic.. There are many reasons for this, but the main reason why the American system is more democratic is because they dont have a supreme head of state that isnt elected like we do in Canada... Hence the Queen.

I do believe that Canadians have more freedoms than the Americans. There are a few points that can be made of this, but its really debatable.

For an example, the Americans went on a witch hunt on communists while here in Canada, they were allowed to have their own party.

I think czardogs or another forum member might be able to clarify this a little more than I can.

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
www.canadiandemocraticmovement.ca
Right now neither is very democratic.
Canada has a serious problem with the power put into the hands of the Prime Minister such as the right to our supreme court judges, the entire cabinet, the Senators, the heads of all crown corporations and all diplomats.

America is more incidous. their politics run on the all mighty dollar via special interest groups. America also has a very intact old boys club run by elitists and bankers. These are the bilderbergers and Trilateral Commision. Reagan, Clinton, Carter, both Bushs and Cheney all belong to the Trilateral Commision. They are known to throw millions of dollars into a person to get them ahead for their own means. America right now is stepping on some of its own entrenched democratic rights in the name of fighting terrorism. Funny how it was back room deals that got them in that situation to begin with.
America does have it better than Canada on the civic level. They have public initives and the such. When was the last time you were asked if you wanted your local tax dollars to go to something in particular? America also has a "working" Senate. (quotes because they too are bought into the positions though) Our senators are not accountable to anyone. They are patronized to the position. 63 of the current crop were hand chosen by Cretch himself. that is not democratic in anyway.

BCStudchad

Oct 26, 2004
Dear Czardog
I have a question for you do you think that judges should be elected or appointed, what are the pro's and con's of each? Basically what system is best Canadian or American, and why?
I would appreciate your help thanks

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
RE: Canadian system of gov

Personally, I can't imagine why judges should be elected. What you want in a judge is someone with a fine talent for understanding "the law" and its application, with a commitment to "justice".

Elections simply result in the person with the most money and public appeal winning.

Look at our MPs and the US congressmen: do you really think the people who elected this crowd have the ability to elect judges?

Under the current system, it is basically the existing legal minds who propose the short list for the PM. And they are carefully chosen.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Canadian system of go

Supreme Court judges aren't elected in the US either...they are appointed by the president. That's how Georgie got his job.

They shouldn't be elected in Canada either. Despite protestations from the right, our Supreme Court justices do not make law. They interpret law based on the constitution and legal precedents.

Is Canada's system better than the US's? It has the potential to be if we go to proportional representation. That is possible under a minority government, which happens rarely but does happen. Reforms like that are not even slightly possible under the US system because the checks and balances they have in place do not work.