Proposal on "Lawful Access", turning your ISP in t

Bob Carrick
I’ve been asked over the last day or so by a few people / organizations to put together my thoughts on the Government’s proposal on “Lawful Access” and have been asked to maybe take those thoughts to the Government. So I’m starting with my thoughts, a poll and a forum for your thoughts. Here goes:

Department of Justice Canada has just issued a call for comments on various “Lawful Access” proposals which would, amongst other things, require ISPs and Telcos to put in place systems to track, store and monitor all internet access by Canadians, so that they would then have the technical capability to provide the police with access to all the data transmitted over their networks (with a warrant) for a specific customer or customers.

For the rest of the breakdown on the proposal, the Poll, and a place to put your thoughts for the possibility of being presented to the Government go here: http://makeashorterlink.com/?L58C242A1

czardogs
I read about this yesterday and it is very disturbing. big brother is watching. What happened to innocent until proven guilty? George Orwell was not even around for the internet but he was right, big brother will always find a way to keep tabs on you.

Shmad
Sad thing is as this is being proposed its already being done. :/

Bob Carrick
Actually no it's not already being done. I've talked to ISPs they don't have the data storage facilities to do this.

Shmad
Oh your talking actually storing the data.. Ah I misread it... All/MOST ISPs already log what you downloaded and from where, and anything you do online.

Which was the point I was trying to make (note to self: never post on forums when tired)

Bob Carrick
Actually no, most don't. They only log your start time on line and your end time. They do not have the data storage to log where you go. I said this already. With 10,000 customers just your start time and end time (nothing else) is 450 meg storage per month.

To log everything (if you read my comments) would have significant impacts on their exesting infrastructure. The capabilities are there but not the equipement do to cost and network aggragation point saturation. I've talked to my ISPs already about this.

Andem
Free Thinker
I read a bit more about this article... Man. Our government is turning into the USSR. We have no privacy, and as Bob said in that article, an ISP employee can lookup any users` data information. THis doesnt include the costs going up, but think of the resources and equipment involved in this obligation.

I honestly dont mind the government keeping tabs on it's subjects. But I dont want my every step traced.

If the USSR was still around (it is i tell you, conspiracy!), the USA and Canada would be around the same level as them when it comes to rights and freedoms.

czardogs
Quote: Originally Posted by Andem

I read a bit more about this article... Man. Our government is turning into the USSR. We have no privacy, and as Bob said in that article, an ISP employee can lookup any users` data information. THis doesnt include the costs going up, but think of the resources and equipment involved in this obligation.

I honestly dont mind the government keeping tabs on it's subjects. But I dont want my every step traced.

If the USSR was still around (it is i tell you, conspiracy!), the USA and Canada would be around the same level as them when it comes to rights and freedoms.

You dont mind being watched? Once you give them an inch they will want a mile.

Putin is a different kind of Russian. He is a hard one to figure out. One thing is clear though, he is a patriot to his nation first.