Are you smarter than a Liberal?

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Well I'm smart enough to know if the PC were in the last 10 years the issues would be similar and the quiz would be "Are you smarter than a Conservative?".

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Well I'm smart enough to know if the PC were in the last 10 years the issues would be similar and the quiz would be "Are you smarter than a Conservative?".

Exactly. Canadian politics is becoming oh-so predictable. Elect a government, whine about them for four years, kick them out and start over. In the meantime the ousted governments and their supporters put all their efforts into criticizing every move the government in power makes without offering any input on what they would do knowing full well they would be faced with the same problems. Ho-freaking-hum.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County

That's a pretty hard one to predict since it's hard to remember what a PC government in Ontario was like. I certainly don't remember them as being as autocratic and self defeating to the province as the Liberals under McSquinty or Whine. They have driven the cost of living up to the level of NS, all they need to do is raise the top marginal tax rate to 54% to match them, and that could be coming.

To be fair, columnists don't always have control over the title of their pieces, and do complain occasionally; Lorrie Goldstein actually wanted it called, "Are You Smarter Than A Liberal Cabinet Minister", but the editors probably shortened it either for effect or space.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
That's a pretty hard one to predict since it's hard to remember what a PC government in Ontario was like. I certainly don't remember them as being as autocratic and self defeating to the province as the Liberals under McSquinty or Whine. They have driven the cost of living up to the level of NS, all they need to do is raise the top marginal tax rate to 54% to match them, and that could be coming.

To be fair, columnists don't always have control over the title of their pieces, and do complain occasionally; Lorrie Goldstein actually wanted it called, "Are You Smarter Than A Liberal Cabinet Minister", but the editors probably shortened it either for effect or space.

You got a bit of the last Ontario Conservative government in the form of the last Federal Conservative government... John Baird, Jim Flaherty, Tony Clement ....

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
You got a bit of the last Ontario Conservative government in the form of the last Federal Conservative government... John Baird, Jim Flaherty, Tony Clement ....
The last federal government left us with a surplus , when was the last time Ontario saw one of those .

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I do know that the PC party, in the last election, promised to close those two power plants also. Then proceeded to berate the Liberal government for doing so. So what does that tell you?
Anyone can say they will fix everything.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I still don't see any American banks in Canadian cities like I see Canadian banks in US cities.

Boy did that ever piss Obama off when Canadian banks bought Fanny and Freddy out for pennies on the dollar.

Especially because the situation for this to occur was created by George Bush. lol.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Especially because the situation for this to occur was created by George Bush. lol.

No, no. The meltdown happened a couple of days into the Obama administration.

It's OBAMA'S fault. Get the black guy!

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Boy did that ever piss Obama off when Canadian banks bought Fanny and Freddy out for pennies on the dollar.
ummmmmm. Wherever would you get that idea from.......?

After all, the companies still sit in limbo as they are controlled by the Federal Housing Finance Agency and return every dime they earn back to the Treasury.

But this isn't a secret. The first sentence of the annual report of Fannie Mae reads:
We have been under conservatorship, with the Federal Housing Finance Agency ("FHFA") acting as conservator, since September 6, 2008. As conservator, FHFA succeeded to all rights, titles, powers and privileges of the company, and of any shareholder, officer or director of the company with respect to the company and its assets.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/07/25/freddie-mac-stock-fmcc.aspx

The dispute between the billionaires and the government started not when Fannie and Freddie needed a bailout in 2008, but later, when the struggling mortgage giants started to right themselves and make significant profits in 2012.

In 2008, the US government placed the two housing giants in conservatorship, essentially making them wards of the state. That arrangement meant that from 2008 to 2012, Fannie and Freddie paid $46bn in dividends to the Treasury, as part of an agreement after the bailouts that the housing giants would pay a 10% dividend on the government’s stake.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/freddiemacandfanniemae

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Certainly you of course realise he personally created Freddie Mac and Fannie May and changed the laws to allow zero down payment mortgages . And of course he put a gun to the banks head and forced them to bundle these unsecured mortgages and sell them as viable commodities .
It was 100 % Bush's fault , just ask Gopher .

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I do know that the PC party, in the last election, promised to close those two power plants also. Then proceeded to berate the Liberal government for doing so. So what does that tell you?
Anyone can say they will fix everything.

The current Lieberal government is executing an agenda they did not campaign on at all. So anything they have done deserves to be criticized on that grounds alone.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario