The public sector money monster

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A Fraser Institute report released Thursday suggests the Ontario public sector can best be described as a money monster.

It notes 1.3 million Ontario workers, almost one in five, or 18.7%, are employed by the public sector, meaning municipal, provincial and federal governments.

They enjoy, on average, better salaries, benefits and pensions than the 81.3% of workers in the private sector or self-employed.

Based on comparable jobs, public sector workers earn an average of 13.4% more annually, 10.3% when union membership is factored in.

They are far more likely to have pension plans (82.1%) compared to private sector workers (25.2%) and their pensions are likely to be better than those in the private sector.

That’s because 97% of government workers have the best kind, known as defined benefit plans. This compares to fewer than half — 45.1% — in the private sector for the minority of workers who have a pension.

Public sector workers retire earlier — 1.4 years on average — and take more personal time off, 10.9 days annually compared to 6.8.

more

The public sector money monster | EDITORIAL | Editorial | Opinion | Toronto Sun

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I believe we went through several waves of public sector hirings after the last two or three provincial elections. Perhaps someone can provide the cites, stating the "need" for more workers, These would be campaign promises.

Where do these people hang their hats? Many of our local provincial service offices are privately owned.

I know that some provincial services, motor vehicle licensing, sticker renewals, testing, etc have been farmed out for the most part to a private sector company called SERCO, a British privately owned company. They perform other services as well.

I suppose it might be where you live, but my local office for provincial affairs is also privately run.

I ask because I do not live in the city, so wait times for renewals or initial requests are pretty good. I also renew stickers, my hunting licence, etc on line to avoid having to stand in line.

Where are these provincial employees working?