Wynne just won the next election

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
905ers are a lock.

Premier Kathleen Wynne to reject Toronto's request for tolls on DVP, Gardiner

Premier Kathleen Wynne will reject Toronto's request to impose tolls on the Don Valley Parkway and Gardiner Expressway, a move the city had asked for in order to pay for new transit projects.

Sources with knowledge of the decision told CBC Toronto that Wynne believes Mayor John Tory's plan for tolls "just isn't affordable" for drivers when they lack alternatives for commuting to downtown Toronto.

"It's all about affordability and Ontarians not being able to have other options," said an official with the province, noting that transit expansion plans such as SmartTrack and Regional Express Rail will not be in place until at least 2023. "We can't have a conversation about tolls until there are viable options in place," the official said.

Wynne will make the announcement Friday morning at a news conference in Richmond Hill.

Expecting another revenue source

Mayor John Tory's office said earlier Thursday that it was aware of Wynne's announcement.

And if Wynne does deny the request for tolls, the mayor said in a statement that he expected the province to give Toronto another source of much-needed revenue. Although city council had not decided how much it might charge, a 2016 staff report estimates Toronto could earn roughly $200 million each year from a $2 per-trip toll.

"If the Ontario government has decided to deny a regulatory change requested by the overwhelming majority of City Council, the Mayor would expect the Provincial government to take serious and immediate action to address the city's transit, transportation, child care and housing needs," said Don Peat, the mayor's chief spokesperson.

Changes to the gas tax

Instead of approving the tolls in Toronto, CBC Toronto has learned that the Wynne government will give all municipalities with transit systems a greater share of revenue from the provincial gasoline tax.

The increase will amount to an extra $170 million a year for the City of Toronto — or about 15 per cent less than what the city estimated it could generate annually from tolls.

The tolls — already endorsed by Toronto city council in December — require provincial authorization to become a reality. All Ontario cities need cabinet's approval to levy tolls.

Wynne, however, first indicated some reluctance on the tolls last month in a year-end interview with CBC News. At the time, she said her government's support would depend on timing, the cost of the tolls and what alternatives commuters might have.

The premier is scheduled to make an announcement alongside Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca Friday morning in Richmond Hill.

Premier Kathleen Wynne to reject Toronto's request for tolls on DVP, Gardiner - Toronto - CBC News

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
$120.00 plus $35.00 emisions test to renew my car next week.

The lunatic government hates drivers and wants us all to take unicycles to work.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Politician should put their heads together and find a way to share the Carbon Tax grab. I will continue to drive my car and no fuc$#@g limo driven politician is going to tell me to start taking the bus again. Did that for years while in school. I figure the plate sticker (no reason for this one at all); the drivers license renewal, the clean air cash grab; the tolls.. etc.. so share the Carbon Tax man and leave the people alone.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Wynne is going to offer free University tuition grants for students from families who make less than 50k per year. This will win her the next election...and put my grandkids in the poorhouse.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Funny, everyone I met and talked to in Ontario absolutely hat Kathleen Wynne. The next Provincial election is the opposition's to lose.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Wynne is going to offer free University tuition grants for students from families who make less than 50k per year. This will win her the next election...and put my grandkids in the poorhouse.

Yes, it's probably for the best to admit that they won't be educated now.

Funny, everyone I met and talked to in Ontario absolutely hat Kathleen Wynne.

That's because you live in the boonies.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
'Funny, everyone I met and talked to in Ontario absolutely hat Kathleen Wynne."

What's wrong with Kathleen Wynne's hat?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Funny, because I've heard the same hatred for Wynne from people and I live in the GTA. What's also "amusing" is how many municipalities are getting pissed off with their own hydro bills. In Oshawa for example, the City spent more than $150,000 to keep the street lights on in June of 2015. Of that, only about $3,600 was for power, the rest was delivery, regulatory and debt retirement charges, HST, and a whopping $62,325.42 for “Global Adjustment.”
When municipalities are complaining about the cost of hydro, it's pretty goddam hard to argue that it's only rural residents being affected. Unless of course you're an utterly clueless, ideologically blind half-wit!
And what's truly disgusting is, even if you are entirely self-sustaining when it comes to hydro, you STILL get a mother f*cking bill. You're not allowed to cut yourself off from the grid. Which is really quite the racket now considering 60% of Hydro One is now privately owned. So now we're basically ]i]forced[/i] to keep the profits rolling for the shareholders. Govt forcing consumers to use a service even if they don't need it. Talk about a guaranteed ROI with no risk. I had no idea it was the govt's job to make sure that investments were 100% risk-free.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Funny, because I've heard the same hatred for Wynne from people and I live in the GTA. What's also "amusing" is how many municipalities are getting pissed off with their own hydro bills. In Oshawa for example, the City spent more than $150,000 to keep the street lights on in June of 2015. Of that, only about $3,600 was for power, the rest was delivery, regulatory and debt retirement charges, HST, and a whopping $62,325.42 for “Global Adjustment.”
When municipalities are complaining about the cost of hydro, it's pretty goddam hard to argue that it's only rural residents being affected. Unless of course you're an utterly clueless, ideologically blind half-wit!
And what's truly disgusting is, even if you are entirely self-sustaining when it comes to hydro, you STILL get a mother f*cking bill. You're not allowed to cut yourself off from the grid. Which is really quite the racket now considering 60% of Hydro One is now privately owned. So now we're basically ]i]forced[/i] to keep the profits rolling for the shareholders. Govt forcing consumers to use a service even if they don't need it. Talk about a guaranteed ROI with no risk. I had no idea it was the govt's job to make sure that investments were 100% risk-free.

905ers, yes.

This may just turn things around.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Why don't they go back to a premium on GTA licence plates like when Northern Ontario plates were free - account city transit.

How does Wynne have any say over DVP and Gardiner anyhow? They're both Metro Roads properties

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Presume much? I was talking to folks from Brampton to Guelph and even Belleville. Btw, I doon't live in Ontario,much less the boonies. I live in Alberta, but you keep slapping those ruby red slippers together, Dorothy.

And Hoof-Hearted.

Her hat stinks almost as much as the sticky "e" on my keyboard. :)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Can they not collect the tolls for anybody exiting off the DVP and collect it on city streets? Or is it tolls in general that the Dick-tator has an issue with? Tory screwed up by not calling it a Carbon toll.