Canada’s Economy Shrinks on Worst Factory Output Since 2013

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
From the heart, out.
Canada's gross domestic product shrank unexpectedly in October as factories suffered their worst month in almost three years, adding to signs the country's outlook is worsening.
"Unexpectedly".

• GDP falls 0.3% in October, missing forecast of flat growth
  • Report adds to evidence country may need more stimulus

Canada’s gross domestic product shrank unexpectedly in October as factories suffered their worst month in almost three years, adding to signs the country’s outlook is worsening.

Output fell 0.3 percent, Statistics Canada said Friday in Ottawa. Economists surveyed by Bloomberg expected a flat reading, but widespread declines in goods-producing industries contributed to the largest monthly drop since May.

Manufacturing output was particularly disappointing, falling 2 percent in the biggest monthly decline since December 2013 and the second worst since the recession. The numbers are “pretty bad,” Benjamin Reitzes, senior economist at BMO Capital Markets, said by phone from Toronto. “Underlying growth is still sluggish.”

mo

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-contracts-on-worst-factory-output-since-2013

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Hang on, Mentalfloss will be along with a JT-feel-good thread shortly.
Nah, he'll just tell us the economy doesn't matter because we still have a high standard of living. Of course one would have to ignore the fact that our standard of living is actually starting to drop and is currently based on the average household spending $166 for every $100 it takes in.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Nah, he'll just tell us the economy doesn't matter because we still have a high standard of living. Of course one would have to ignore the fact that our standard of living is actually starting to drop and is currently based on the average household spending $166 for every $100 it takes in.

It's been dropping for four decades, if you are Middle Class.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Production has dropped at our National Factory, now that more Elves want to be Dentists.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I think everyone is getting this wrong. We depend too much on the economy for money and stuff. Tech and getting back to nature is where it's at!

I think we should consider the following:

1. Power our equipment using a cellphone or tablet! They are smaller, use less energy and are smarter too!
2. Televisions are so wasteful. Make television to cellphone adapters. If we could plug them into our cellphones or laptops, they would run with less energy!
3. Outlaw AC power. That way, we wouldn't have to plug our cellphones into the wall!
4. Outlaw solar power. I know what you're thinking, but the sun will burn up prematurely if we keep using it! Besides, we don't own the sun.
5. Consider liquefying coal and use the coal juice alongside oil to power stuff. Coal is a natural substance that grows in the earth!
6. Convert heat from your body into power. We need young people to research this (the government has a lot of money to pay them), and figure out a way of saving the heat we make. We're very wasteful!
7. If we could talk to the animals! Sounds crazy, but I bet animals prolly have a lot of good advice to offer us. We just gotta figure out a way to communicate with them. Again, the government has a lot of money. Young people graduating from university could be put on the govt payroll to find out how to make a universal translator. (This wasn't my idea. I watched Star Trek and they have a universal translator already! Maybe California will give us the plans and we can build more of them!)
8. Outlaw and dismantle high places like BC's mountains. It might be a chore to relocate the mountain goats, but high places are cold, snowy and energy wasters!
9. Regulate the climate by putting large waterways between each province. This will cool the planet. Reduce the need for a/c and moderate the climate.
10. Get people together into groups and talk about energy reduction. Sit in front of a bonfire and eat stuff from the forest around you. Lead by example!