Support for federal Liberals plummets, new poll shows | Toronto Star

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
OTTAWA—After soaring in public approval for more than a year, Justin Trudeau’s Liberals tumbled last month in a new poll that reflects a prime minister and key ministers struggling to balance ambitious electoral promises and the hard realities of governing.
A new Forum Research poll conducted at the beginning of the week shows the Liberals dropped from 51 per cent a month ago to 42 per cent nationally.
Much of the erosion for the federal Liberals appears to have come in B.C. and Ontario, where the Liberals and the Conservatives find themselves nearly tied for support.
In the past month, the Conservatives’ national approval rating under interim leader Rona Ambrose ticked up to 34 per cent from 28. That narrows a recent gap between the Liberals and the Conservatives — who do not yet have a permanent replacement for Stephen Harper — from 23 percentage points to just eight points.
There was no significant change for the New Democratic Party, which stands stalled at 12 per cent, nor for the Greens at 6 or the Bloc Québécois at 5 per cent.

The Liberals would still win a smaller but comfortable 10-seat majority government with those numbers. And regardless of party preference, when those surveyed were asked how good a job they think the three main party leaders are doing, Justin Trudeau has the approval of 51 per cent. More than a year in, he enjoys sky-high approval among Liberal voters and nearly half of NDP voters approve of the job he’s doing as prime minister.
But it is nevertheless a fall to earth politically after a 13-month post-election honeymoon high that had seen partisans of all stripes enthusiastically embrace the young prime minister and his gender-balanced government.
“I think the Trudeaumania, whatever you want to call it, last year that pulled some Tory supporters onto the Liberal bandwagon, that’s probably done now,” said Forum president Lorne Bozinoff.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...federal-liberals-plummets-new-poll-shows.html

Well, Diefenbaker got it right; "Dogs know what to do with polls".

One poll means nothing, except maybe a glimmer of hope for the nation.

But hope is good.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
OTTAWA—After soaring in public approval for more than a year, Justin Trudeau’s Liberals tumbled last month in a new poll that reflects a prime minister and key ministers struggling to balance ambitious electoral promises and the hard realities of governing.
A new Forum Research poll conducted at the beginning of the week shows the Liberals dropped from 51 per cent a month ago to 42 per cent nationally.
Much of the erosion for the federal Liberals appears to have come in B.C. and Ontario, where the Liberals and the Conservatives find themselves nearly tied for support.
In the past month, the Conservatives’ national approval rating under interim leader Rona Ambrose ticked up to 34 per cent from 28. That narrows a recent gap between the Liberals and the Conservatives — who do not yet have a permanent replacement for Stephen Harper — from 23 percentage points to just eight points.
There was no significant change for the New Democratic Party, which stands stalled at 12 per cent, nor for the Greens at 6 or the Bloc Québécois at 5 per cent.

The Liberals would still win a smaller but comfortable 10-seat majority government with those numbers. And regardless of party preference, when those surveyed were asked how good a job they think the three main party leaders are doing, Justin Trudeau has the approval of 51 per cent. More than a year in, he enjoys sky-high approval among Liberal voters and nearly half of NDP voters approve of the job he’s doing as prime minister.
But it is nevertheless a fall to earth politically after a 13-month post-election honeymoon high that had seen partisans of all stripes enthusiastically embrace the young prime minister and his gender-balanced government.
“I think the Trudeaumania, whatever you want to call it, last year that pulled some Tory supporters onto the Liberal bandwagon, that’s probably done now,” said Forum president Lorne Bozinoff.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...federal-liberals-plummets-new-poll-shows.html

Well, Diefenbaker got it right; "Dogs know what to do with polls".

One poll means nothing, except maybe a glimmer of hope for the nation.

But hope is good.

"... pulled some Tory supporters onto the Liberal bandwagon, that’s probably done now,” said Forum president Lorne Bozinoff."

I think that any support there might have been from Tory supporters disappeared shortly after the PM took more than 300 climate activists to the Paris talks, Colpy - long before the latest series of blunders, missteps and the handling of the electoral reform file.

The price of Paris: Canada sends more than 300 delegates to climate talks | CTV News

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Re: Support for federal Liberals plummets, new poll shows

This is normal and expected.

They're spending their political capital.

And I'm happy with the results. :)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Image and illusion isn't political capital. He never had anything to spend.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
General support of the Liberals by the voting lemmings last year is understandable.....
I'm just surprised that so many Liberal party members elected an empty suit as party leader in 2013!

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
However unpopular the Liberals may be right now, the other two big parties are currently leaderless and in tatters. As the Tories figure out if they want to continue as a nationsl party or fold up into a right wing fringe-fest, they are missing an historic opportunity as the examine their various orifices while figuring out which one is their navel.

The NDP seems to be embarrassed to have been cuckholded by the Liberals just as they were about to consumste.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

How come there are two threads with the same name?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He had to kiss Christie's as$ yesterday or she would be a goner in her upcoming election.

Oh..almost forgot.

Pure f-cking genius of the media pitting the Provinces against each other.

It's making for great f-cking copy.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
However unpopular the Liberals may be right now, the other two big parties are currently leaderless and in tatters. As the Tories figure out if they want to continue as a nationsl party or fold up into a right wing fringe-fest, they are missing an historic opportunity as the examine their various orifices while figuring out which one is their navel.

That is hilarious.

Ya might want to touch base with the liberal brain-trust (ironic term, I know) and get them to fabricate a new talking point

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
The country is being bled first & then sold, citizens are being treated like idiots, having to live with a f$@king .75 cents dollar, waiting for the next $ 2500 tax (oops pricing!!) to hit my pocket soon, leaving a large deficit for the kids, unattainable real estates (my kids anyway, they can't afford a sh#thole $ 600,000 ugly bungalow in Scarborough!!, plus we are increasing our welfare recipient by the thousands!! We need to lay our dollar to rest and take on the American dollar!! France, Germany, etc took the Euro and they did not loose their identity!! Trump should meet with JT and show him the benefit of a US/CDN shared currency. Who cares if Viola or Hamilton on a $10 bill!! I don't, money is going to disappear anyway, just give me a currency that has buying power.