Did Maryam Monsef actually read the whole electoral reform report?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
this mealy-mouthed land whale needs to go.

In the stormy Thursday press conference in which mealy-mouthed Democratic Institutions Minister Maryam Monsef somehow managed to unify election reform opponents and supporters in a grand coalition against her, she at one point held up a sign with an intimidating mathematical expression on it. I think “intimidating” is a fair description. I am reasonably sure that no full-time journalist in the country knows more math than I do, but I still get a touch of nausea at the sight of a Greek letter sigma in an equation.

Despite having an undergraduate degree in science, Monsef complained that the equation she was waving around was “an incomprehensible formula” that her electoral reform committee was trying to foist on the public as a new ultimate basis for Canadian government. The Liberal committee members themselves accused their colleagues of “recommending that Canada’s electoral system be determined by the … formula.”

You may have two questions about this scary assertion. Is it true? (Hint: no.) And what does the formula mean?

One of the goals a lot of people have for election reform is to make House of Commons representation “more proportional” to vote totals when it comes to party affiliation. We all have different ideas about how important this feature should be. Some of us feel strongly that MPs ought to be elected as individuals, and the wishes of voters in the riding next door, or in another time zone, should not matter. But most citizens and experts who talked to the committee thought overall proportionality was a highly desirable feature of an electoral system.

more

Colby Cosh: Did Maryam Monsef actually read the whole electoral reform report? | National Post

She Skipped To The End

By Kate on December 2, 2016 12:03 PM | 19 Comments

Like she did on her citizenship paperwork: Did Maryam Monsef actually read the whole electoral reform report?

Related.

She Skipped To The End - Small Dead Animals