Canada in a 'very good fiscal situation' to run deficits

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
For those of you who actually worry about things like the economy....

I don't know why you bother but here's some good news for yous

Canada in a 'very good fiscal situation' to run deficits, says Poloz

Canada is in a very good fiscal situation and should not be worried about running up deficits at this point, Bank of Canada Governor Stephen Poloz said in a television interview aired on Sunday.

The comments support Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his year-old Liberal government, which is set to run a deficit of $29.4 billion in the current fiscal year as it pours money into infrastructure and a tax credit for families.

Pressed in an interview with Global on whether there is a danger to running budget deficits, Poloz said Canada is a long way from that point.

"There is a balance somewhere but I can tell you that I think we're pretty far away from that balance point," Poloz said in an interview with Global's The West Block with Tom Clark.

"Now you're right, there is a balance point in all this but Canada is in a very good fiscal situation so we shouldn't be worrying about that at this time," he said.

Canada in a 'very good fiscal situation' to run deficits, says Poloz - Business - CBC News

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
One of the major differences between the Trudeau government and the Harper government is that most of the current deficit is being caused by infrastructure spending while most of the Harper's deficits were caused by tax breaks to the wealthy. In the long term infrastructure spending helps the country in a variety of ways, while tax breaks to the wealthy rarely if ever provide any benefits except to those who receive them.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
One of the major differences between the Trudeau government and the Harper government is that most of the current deficit is being caused by infrastructure spending while most of the Harper's deficits were caused by tax breaks to the wealthy. In the long term infrastructure spending helps the country in a variety of ways, while tax breaks to the wealthy rarely if ever provide any benefits except to those who receive them.
Giving ten billion dollars to developing nations is building infrastructure how ?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
debt slavery
after Iceland's repudiation of all the crooked banker debt, any one who puts a country in debt with them is doing Crack Head economics
We have a NOT PRIVATLY OWNED central bank whose mandate is to create money interest free for national capitol investments...
...and we are borrowing from crooked country destroying bastards...?
(the spell checker says bastards, because i punched banker in wrong
what do you know?
it got the word right for a change)

Giving ten billion dollars to developing nations is building infrastructure how ?
they use it to create free trade competition and refugees...
which forces us to raise taxes to make the infrastructure loan debt interest payments
on the money we didn't need to borrow, to build stuff to deal with that.

the bigger the river the more you can drink

Last edited:

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
helps 'em right out the window into the suicide nets was what I think it said on the next page

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Flossy just nods in agreement with every stupid scheme the Liberals come up with ......

Because he.......

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The biggest problem in Canada, contrary to what the global warming alarmists say, is the infrastructure deficit. This is the time to spend money on infrastructure. We just replaced two blocks of sewer line for 1/3 the cost we were anticipating thanks to hungry contractors. I'm spending the next couple of days with a video inspection company assessing more lines with the plan on upgrading more. This is one of the few things Trudeau got right. Fortunately, Harper left us in good enough shape, we can.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Trudeau never changed taxation ya stupid Smurf.

Name some new infrastructure announced by Trudeau.

It's all still ActionPlan.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
heyyy...
pot makes people like me...and lol, I'm Not like him...
we don't know what he is on

what ever it is, it ought to be keep away from children and pregnant women

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
which, whether or not Flossy knows it, is exactly what he is saying in the OP
lol

MF isn't the hardest ice cube in the tray. Most ideologues tend to occupy the lower end of the he IQ scale. In MF's case, the fact that he is s Liberal Party hack as well makes the problem even worse

heyyy...
pot makes people like me...and lol, I'm Not like him...
we don't know what he is on

what ever it is, it ought to be keep away from children and pregnant women

I'm sure he's on quite a few things but pot, he has admitted to. He tends to get goofier during the winter when he's laid off

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
MF posts this sort of thing in order to aggravate most of you. He doesn't understand much of an article's content, but knows that if it's about praising Liberals or their policies, many of you will get worked up.

It makes me laugh every time someone tries to engage him in debate. You won't get a discussion or even an intelligent response. He does not argue his point because he doesn't understand the articles. He merely contradicts whatever is posted in order to rile the members of the board.

Oh yeah? Yeah!

It's sad.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It's sad.

Not really. I think MF actually does more to hurt the image of the LP than any of the other posters. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your political allegiance, it doesn't really m matter because a huge bulk of Justin's support comes from those under 30 and that age group doesn't do forums like this. Hell, I'm 50 and I see little political value in this site