How to reduce abortion wates without banning abortion?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Given that abortion will probably not be banned in Canada any time soon, I can see a few solutions:

1. Increase funding for treatment for addictions. Alcohol can reduce inhibitions, and so providing funding to help alcoholics kick their habit could help. Heroin and other addicts might sell sex to feed their habit and so again increase the probability of getting an unwanted pregnancy. Sex addicts might pay for or sell sex or sexually assault people, and so again increase the probability of causing an unwanted pregnancy.

2. While protecing the presumption of innocence, make fornication a fineable offence. As it is the case in some US states where fornication laws exist, lawyers have turned to it when they couldn't prove sexual assault or buying or selling sex beyond a reasonable doubt. Though this could punish some who are innocent of the more serious suspicion against them, I think that would be a small price to pay to discourage the sex trade and sexual assault.

Your ideas?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Given that abortion will probably not be banned in Canada any time soon, I can see a few solutions:

1. Increase funding for treatment for addictions. Alcohol can reduce inhibitions, and so providing funding to help alcoholics kick their habit could help. Heroin and other addicts might sell sex to feed their habit and so again increase the probability of getting an unwanted pregnancy. Sex addicts might pay for or sell sex or sexually assault people, and so again increase the probability of causing an unwanted pregnancy.

2. While protecing the presumption of innocence, make fornication a fineable offence. As it is the case in some US states where fornication laws exist, lawyers have turned to it when they couldn't prove sexual assault or buying or selling sex beyond a reasonable doubt. Though this could punish some who are innocent of the more serious suspicion against them, I think that would be a small price to pay to discourage the sex trade and sexual assault.

Your ideas?

Change your meds. The ones you are now taking are causing delusions.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The only real way is to incentivize people to have families or consider adoption instead.