China Getting Ready to Buy Canada

White_Unifier
I could even see the following possibility:

Sole proprietorships, worker cooperatives and consumer-cooperative natural monopolies in Canada are exempted from all trade barriers as long as they don't engage in morally questionable industries (e.g. weapons other than sports equipment, tobacco, alcohol, marijuana, gambling products, etc.). Other than that, open the world to them unilaterally.

As for any other business in Canada, then it's case by case. But I do worry about Chinese state-owned businesses.

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

D Ealing with communists is never good. Unless they bring cash.

Most Chinese aren't communists. No worries there. If anything, they're more market oriented than we are. I just don't get how they tolerate their government.

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
China is winning the economic war, the same way Islam is wining the cultural one.

Being at peace onkl means a different kind of war.

99% of the human population can't understand that.

White_Unifier
On the repatriation of criminals, why not just agree on the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights as a standard?

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
The same way that equality will creates its owb kind of inequality's

coldstream
+1
It would be disastrous for Canada. China is awash with American and Western Currency thanks to the catastrophic Free Trade (WTO) structure, currency manipulation and immense balance of trade deficit and will come in and take over Canada. And our pathetic little fudgsicle of a PM, is far too stupid and weak to see the danger.

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

It would be disastrous for Canada. China is awash with American and Western Currency thanks to the catastrophic Free Trade (WTO) structure, currency manipulation and immense balance of trade deficit and will come in and take over Canada. And our pathetic little fudgsicle of a PM, is far too stupid and weak to see the danger.

Sometimes people get exactly what they deserve. Funny how that works

spaminator
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

China Getting Ready to Buy Canada

chinada

Last edited by spaminator; 4 weeks ago at 01:01 PM..

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

chinada

If it's a choice between those three, I like the middle one.

pgs
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

chinada

I saw one of those flying over Richmond .

Murphy
Conservative
Wow, that story was too long so...here's the short one.

Hi Canada! Are you prepared to sell, 'cause we're prepared to buy!

Mattresses, carpets, religions icons, guns, replica stuff. We've got it all!

Bring your money because we're looking to sell!

selfsame
Wicked Zionists, you are the first among people to sell Canada and any other country according to your personal advantages.

Murphy
Conservative
+2
Yep. To buy bombs to drop on you. Hey, it's a living.

selfsame
Your evil will be on your head, dirty-faced Zionist.

Murphy
Conservative
Yep. And as you can probably tell, I'm in distress. If you listen carefully, you can hear the jet engines running now. B-52s and Stealth bombers doing their run ups, just before take off.

Downtown Baghdad will blow up real good!

Ludlow
No Party Affiliation
Chinese make good firecrackers

pgs
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by selfsameView Post

Your evil will be on your head, dirty-faced Zionist.

I am presently adoring your beloved allah by puking my guts out in the direction of Mecca . And I am loving it .

tay
Quote: Originally Posted by MurphyView Post

Wow, that story was too long so...here's the short one.

Hi Canada! Are you prepared to sell, 'cause we're prepared to buy!

Mattresses, carpets, religions icons, guns, replica stuff. We've got it all!

Bring your money because we're looking to sell!

That always depresses me when I see a 'of voting age person' claim a story is 'too long'. Of course for those who managed to maintain their attention for the seven minutes it takes to read the article they would realize that China does not want to buy stuff. They want to buy the Companies that make the stuff at the very least............

China Wants Total Access To Canada, May Seek To Import Its Own Workers

China’s government is seeking full access to Canada’s economy in free trade talks, a move that could result in Chinese state-owned companies bringing their own employees to work on projects in Canada.

China’s ambassador to Canada, Lu Shaye, told the Globe and Mail his government wants to avoid discussions of human rights issues, fearing it could become a “bargaining chip” in negotiations.

Additionally, China would see any attempt to block takeovers of Canadian companies on national security grounds as protectionism, Lu said.

“Investment is investment. We should not take too much political considerations into the investment,” he said. “Just like the negotiations of the (Canada-U.S.) FTA, we should not let political factors into this process. Otherwise, it would be very difficult.”

Canadian and Chinese officials held exploratory talks (external - login to view) on a free trade deal earlier this year. Lu told the Globe another meeting will take place in April.

Canada's ambassador to China, John McCallum, told the CBC that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau "is very clear that we want to pursue stronger ties with China. We think that in the medium term this will lead to more Canadian jobs."

Many trade experts point out that the vast majority of China’s largest corporations are state-run enterprises whose executives are often hand-picked by government.

They also note that China’s notion of “full access” to an economy could be very broad. As the foreign policy blog OpenCanada notes (external - login to view), China’s 2015 free trade deal with Australia includes a provision that allows Chinese companies to bring their own employees into the country to work on projects, so long as those projects are worth more than AUD$150 million.

Charles Burton, an associate political science professor at Brock University, says bringing their own workers abroad is “normal practice” for Chinese companies.

“It’s not as if [the Chinese] would be asking something of Canada that they don’t expect from other countries,” he said.

Though China has been among the most vocal countries in resisting the protectionism of the Trump administration, critics say the country is itself a bastion of protectionism (external - login to view). They note China allows almost no foreign investment in banking and telecommunications.

Many argue the country has not lived up to the commitments it made to open up its economy when it joined the World Trade Organization in 2001.

China’s interest in Canada lies primarily in energy, and in the possibility of exploiting Canada’s oilsands, experts say. The country will push for a reversal of Harper government-era policies that restricted the ability of Chinese state-owned businesses to invest in Canadian energy.

archive.is/D344y (external - login to view)

Murphy
Conservative
It always depresses me when I read stories like that, but you didn't write it, so I forgive you.

tay
Quote: Originally Posted by MurphyView Post

It always depresses me when I read stories like that, but you didn't write it, so I forgive you.

Talk to me as if I wrote that article. Which part depresses you..........

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

Talk to me as if I wrote that article. Which part depresses you..........

The grammar and punctuation.

tay
China is no friend to Canada

There is going to come a point, soon, when Justin Trudeau’s Liberal government will discover that Canadians have had just about enough of being told that what they need is “more, more, more” to do with China, as John McCallum, our ambassador to Beijing, likes to put it.

We’ve been hearing a great deal of this sort of thing lately as the processions of lobbyists, mandarins and yesteryear Liberal grandees slowly circle around the altar of a free-trade agreement with Xi Jinping’s police state. The problem is, we’ve heard the same hosannas in several variations over the past 30 years or so. And the consequences always seem to leave us with less, less and less.

What’s changed is that China has reverted to excesses of despotism that replicate the repressive superstructure that was on its way out in the days before the Tiananmen Massacre of 1989. Beijing’s swaggering hybrid of robber-baron capitalism and Leninist discipline is not so easily disguised by the tailored suits and refined manner of its diplomats.

Take China’s new ambassador to Canada, Lu Shaye, for instance. Lu arrived in February straight from his post as director general of the policy research bureau in the foreign affairs department of the Chinese Communist Party’s Central Committee. He has made it plain, in a series of interviews, that he wants a Canada-China free-trade agreement, on China’s terms, and he intends to brook no backchat from Canadians about human rights or democracy.

He has also made it clear that Beijing will require that its state-owned enterprises—the Chinese Communist Party’s overseas acquisitions arms—should be guaranteed full rights to assemble and possess any and all Canadian resources and corporate entities as Beijing may choose, and that any interference will be considered an impermissible restraint of trade.

As for what Canadians should look forward to, the speculative best-case scenario configured by the always bullish and buoyant Canada-China Business Council (a sort of fireside lounge for well-heeled Liberal party old-timers) pegs a boost in Canadian exports to China by $7.7 billion, and an added 25,000 jobs, by 2030. Well, wouldn’t that be nice. That would mark up our exports to China by 50 per cent to $21 billion, and so long as we’re not buying sweatshop products from China at a faster rate in 2030 than we already are, we might be induced to imagine our trade deficit with China coming down from current levels—already the highest trade deficit with any country Canada trades with—to something like $26 billion annually.

Less often observed by the China trade enthusiasts is the sum of roughly $20 billion that Canada and British Columbia have sunk into West Coast road, rail and port infrastructure over the past 25 years or so, all in a fever about the prospects of booming two-way trade with China. The investment has eased China’s access to American markets enormously. More recently, the costs of China’s 2014 hacking of the National Research Council’s mainframe computers has been estimated to run in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

As odd as it seems now, it wasn’t until four years ago that ........

China is no friend to Canada - Macleans.ca (external - login to view)

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

China is no friend to Canada

He has also made it clear that Beijing will require that its state-owned enterprises—the Chinese Communist Party’s overseas acquisitions arms—should be guaranteed full rights to assemble and possess any and all Canadian resources and corporate entities as Beijing may choose, and that any interference will be considered an impermissible restraint of trade.

China is no friend to Canada - Macleans.ca (external - login to view)

I doubt that is going to happen or if it is even possible as Canada has already given that right to the Americans.

tay
I always thought the Briars was a restaurant in NYC.....

Chinese buyer takes over The Briars after sale of iconic resort

The iconic Briars Resort in Jackson’s Point will have a new owner by the end of the month after almost 200 years under the Sibbald family stewardship.

“Our family is delighted that we found a purchaser that ticked all the right boxes on value, interest and a passion for continuing The Briars legacy to the land, our staff, The Briars Golf Club and the people in the Lake Simcoe area,” Briars vice-president Hugh Sibbald said, adding the family’s excitement about the possibility for renewed investment at one of Canada’s oldest and largest heritage resorts employing close to 100 people.

The year-long global search that fielded interest from more than 40 potential investors and subsequent sale to Chinese businessman R. Lu was handled by Colliers International Hotels and involves roughly 147 acres of property located between Hedge, Dalton and Black River roads, including the 100-unit historic inn, lodges and cottages, private 18-hole golf course and former Red Barn property.

Sibbald said it is “business as usual” at the Briars moving forward, with the transition of ownership scheduled for the end of April and third-generation hotelier, Tom Tittel, assuming the role of general manager of the newly formed Briars Management Limited.

Chinese buyer takes over The Briars after sale of iconic Georgina resort (external - login to view)

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
Anyone ever wonder why the people that are always so concerned about foreign ownership of Canadian businesses never buy any of these businesses themselves? Kind of lie the ones that complain about raw log exports but have zero intention of running a sawmill.

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Anyone ever wonder why the people that are always so concerned about foreign ownership of Canadian businesses never buy any of these businesses themselves? Kind of lie the ones that complain about raw log exports but have zero intention of running a sawmill.

The problem in Canada is that Canadian entrepreneurs start a business and once they have made a go of it and have something to offer the public, the firm is bought up by a larger (frequently foreign) company. Economists in Canada even have a name for such businesses, they are called "sapling companies" because although they grow well to begin with they never get a chance to mature. Also there is an attitude among the founders of such companies that recognizes success as being bought out. That way they recoup their immediate investment and also make a handsome profit, sometimes so handsome that they can retire at a relatively young age.